Pictures of Amy McNeill
Amy was recognized with a uncommon type abdomen situation referred to as SMA (Image: Amy McNeill)

When you're 17, worries ought to be few. 

College, buddies, boys, ladies and the odd spot preoccupy your thoughts on occasion, however principally it’s untroubled.  

At 17, it ought to be simple. 

At 17, you shouldn’t end up sitting in a hospital room combating for docs to hear.  

Sadly, at 17, that is simply what Amy McNeill needed to do. 

From County Roscommon in Eire, the teenager was residing life as greatest she might. A eager sports activities competitor, she stuffed her weeks with soccer, volleyball, faculty and buddies. Nonetheless, after a bout of glandular fever, issues began to vary. 

‘Not like different folks, the glandular fever didn’t have an effect on my throat, it was really my abdomen,’ the now 19-year-old tells Metro.co.uk. ‘It was actually sore and swollen on a regular basis.

‘It settled for just a few months however then after some time I began to get sick after consuming. It was not only a abdomen ache.’

The difficulty worsened, with Amy spending lengthy intervals in hospital, however docs couldn’t work out what was unsuitable. 

Amy McNeill pictured in hospital with feed tube
Amy in hospital (Image: Amy McNeill)

‘There's a tiny hospital the place I’m from in Roscommon and so they tried their greatest by giving me fluids however I finally needed to go elsewhere to different hospitals and clinics, however nobody might inform me what the problem was,’ she says. 

The psychology and youngsters’s research pupil describes this era as ‘the worst expertise of my life’.

Medical doctors had been accusatory, stating she had an consuming dysfunction and was not admitting it. 

‘They put every little thing on me,’ she says. ‘They instructed me I had an consuming dysfunction. I believe as a result of they couldn’t work out what was unsuitable with me that they switched to that as a default as a result of I used to be 17 and shedding pounds.’

Medical doctors then discovered an anti-sickness medicine that enabled Amy to eat for a time. She returned to highschool and her research, working tirelessly through the summer season to make amends for the months she missed.

Sadly, the situation returned and she or he struggled to even maintain water down.

‘It obtained unhealthy once more and I couldn’t maintain any meals down,’ she explains. ‘I went to my GP and once more the consuming dysfunction idea was talked about.’

A picture of Amy McNeill in a grey hat and with feeding tube
Amy says she was relieved when she obtained the analysis (Image: Amy McNeill)

On return to the hospital in Roscommon a health care provider there talked about a medical skilled in Dublin who offers with uncommon circumstances. At this stage, Amy and her household had been prepared to attempt something. 

Inside two days of assembly him, a analysis was lastly made. 

‘After a CT angiography I used to be recognized with Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome (SMA),’ Amy explains.

‘When the physician got here in and instructed me I couldn’t imagine it. I used to be relieved. It was by no means in my head.’

Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome (SMA) is a uncommon digestive situation that happens when the duodenum (the primary a part of the small gut) is compressed between two arteries (the aorta and the superior mesenteric artery).

This compression causes partial or full blockage of the duodenum. Amy’s physician has solely seen three circumstances in his profession. 

She believes her glandular fever might have triggered SMA to develop. 

Amy McNeill with friends
Amy with buddies after the surgical procedure (Image: Amy McNeill)

‘I misplaced weight with the sickness after which I clearly misplaced extra with SMA and so they suppose each are linked not directly,’ she explains. 

Along with her situation, Amy wears a feeding tube as it's a better method to digest meals. Whereas she will be able to deal with small bites, consuming is a balancing act and needs to be spaced out accordingly alongside water.

‘I’m hungry on a regular basis so it’s actually exhausting,’ she says. ‘If I used to be to eat an enormous bowl of pasta, I’d be okay for the primary quarter-hour however then I’d really feel this stress and begin to really feel sick. How a lot I eat determines how sick I can be.’

Final summer season, Amy underwent surgical procedure to rectify the problem and whereas it appeared to have labored for just a few weeks, the problems returned. 

‘I used to be in hospital for a month after which they determined to place the tube again in,’ she says. ‘They wish to do the surgical procedure once more and hope that would be the eventual last repair however I wish to wait till I end school.’

Amy with a Koala teddy bear
Her physician had solely seen three circumstances in his profession (Image: Amy McNeill)

Amy visits the hospital month-to-month to have her feeding tube changed however says these visits may be anxiety-inducing due to her expertise. 

‘Earlier than I used to be recognized, I actually began to query myself,’ she explains.

‘I used to be 17 and alone in rooms full of docs telling me that I had a dysfunction.

‘I knew I didn’t, however sooner or later you do query your personal thoughts and surprise if it’s taking part in methods on you.

‘When you're younger you suppose a health care provider will know how you can repair you however that didn’t occur for me.

‘I’m at a stage now the place I care what they consider me as a result of if I converse up they could suppose I’m faking or that I’m younger and know nothing.

‘It scares me as a result of it has occurred to me earlier than.’

Amy with a friends throwing leaves into the air
Amy desires folks to combat for his or her analysis (Image: Amy McNeill)

Amy now understands how necessary it's to face up for your self, and urges anybody who believes there's something unsuitable to combat for a analysis.

Having been by means of the system herself Amy has smart phrases for these in related positions. 

‘Write it down,’ she says. ‘I wrote every little thing down and when it got here to assembly docs it helped me clarify every little thing in a extra coherent means. It takes braveness and it may be exhausting however that you must maintain pushing.

‘Have folks round you who you possibly can discuss with and who will assist you and again your nook. 

‘And keep in mind, nobody is aware of your physique higher than your self. 

‘So arise, converse out and combat for these solutions.’