navtej kaur
‘I refused to give up to it in any manner’ (Image: Most cancers Analysis UK)

‘You don’t hear many success tales,’ says Navtej Kaur, ‘however I'm one in all them.’

Navtej was the primary particular person in her household to be identified with most cancers, saying it got here ‘out of the blue’ in 2012 when she was in her mid-40s.

It was on a vacation in Spain when she first felt a small lump, deep in her chest.

‘In hindsight, I now realise my physique was attempting to inform me one thing months earlier than I had felt something,’ she recollects. ‘I used to be unusually fatigued for months to the purpose of needing to sleep every time I may. Oddly on the time, my style buds had switched in a single day to craving easy vegetarian meals.’

However she pushed it to the again of her thoughts, suspecting it was nothing however a cyst. Months glided by, and he or she received on with ‘the hectic schedule of a younger mum attempting to juggle faculty runs, golf equipment, tuition, play dates and knowledgeable profession within the metropolis.’

It was an opportunity chat with a colleague whose spouse was present process chemotherapy on the time that finally pushed Navtej to get herself checked out.

‘It’s like that previous adage that everybody you meet has a lesson to share if we select to listen to it, she says. Now I do know to take cautious be aware of how my physique speaks to me.

‘My GP made a direct referral and I recall she was irritated I had not are available in sooner.’

When her prognosis was confirmed, Navtej says her ‘pragmatic and logical aspect’ kicked in, and the shock took a backseat.

‘It’s the armour and defence that almost all girls put on,’ she provides.

‘At my first appointment, speaking concerning the chemo was actually scarier than the prognosis. The negativity related to the phrase chemo is nearly pre-conditioned inside all of us, however the plan and the prognosis have been all the time constructive.’

It was that night when she noticed her two sons, the oldest of whom was simply 13, that she ‘had that second of going through my very own mortality.’

‘It’s a lonely place which nobody can actually defend you from – the isolation and the grieving of all you have been and the journey forward,’ she says.

Navtej, who lives in Hounslow, additionally had a tough time telling her mother and father, as a result of, as she places it; ‘most cancers is sort of a dying sentence to the aged, each scary and suffocating.’ 

‘Particularly within the Asian group, I’d say, as a result of it’s not one thing that you'd typically heal from, and never related to the younger. Their faces stated it will be okay, however their eyes betrayed the devastation.’

However reasonably than being a deadly sentence, Navtej’s breast most cancers prognosis helped her get nearer to her religion and, in doing so, modified her life.

Navtej Kaur accepting an award
Navtej used to work as a civil servant with the police (Image: Navtej Kaur)

Navtej, who’s now 56 and initially from Southall, spent 32 years working within the civil service inside the Metropolitan Police as a civilian senior supervisor.

She describes it as a ‘full-on’ function, including: ‘Earlier than most cancers, it had consumed a big a part of my life and brought over me. There was no off change. I’m satisfied the stress performed its half within the prognosis.

‘It was all go, and on the similar time, the youngsters have been younger requiring extra consideration – the guilt of a working mum could be very actual certainly’.

‘I’ve by no means had sick depart in my life, I’m not a sickly particular person. So after my prognosis was the primary time I truly needed to take day without work and sit nonetheless, after which work out how I’d received to this place and why.’

Navtej says having most cancers was a ‘brutal expertise’, describing it as one thing that ‘undoes you utterly as an individual and causes you to query a lot ‘. That being stated, she additionally says her expertise with the situation was ‘constructive and life-affirming – it has led to my development and has made me look at my deeper objective.’

‘I’m actually blessed to have the ability to say that as a result of I used to be healed nevertheless I'm very aware many should not as lucky,’ she tells us.

‘Throughout, my mindset was, “wow I’m so fortunate that it was identified when it was. I’m so fortunate to be getting this innovative therapy” – as a result of I had been placed on a path for a brand new drug.

Navtej with friends and family at the end of chemo
Navtej with family and friends on the finish of her chemo in 2013 (Image: Navtej Kaur)

‘The entire course of has modified me and introduced me nearer to my religion. I’m very rather more immersed in learning my religion, craving the information that lies in my scriptures and certainly all religions. It has modified my mindset and priorities.

‘I had breast most cancers and as a lady it completely undoes you, however then it builds you to be a lot stronger and extra resilient. When you permit it to, it could possibly construct you right into a stronger particular person. And I did – I allowed it to truly be the power reasonably than the weak point in my life.

‘I refused to give up to it in any manner.’

Navtej, who’s married to a retired Detective Chief Inspector, credit her upbringing and her religion for this constructive mindset, saying that there’s ‘plenty of power’ within the Sikh faith.

‘With the intention to get by it, I actually pulled upon my faith,’ she explains. ‘After which my inquisitive thoughts led me to seek out out extra about precisely what the scriptures say.’

‘I feel if I didn’t have my religion,’ she provides, ‘I wouldn’t have handled my prognosis in such a constructive manner.’

By the point she was ready to return to work, Navtej discovered it exhausting – her sickness had modified her.

The place she had beforehand thrived, relishing her capacity to function in a constantly altering enterprise atmosphere, she discovered herself not having fun with the function and questioning her objective in life.

‘I used to be in a extra non secular and intuitive area,’ she says. ‘I suppose I used to be extra about caring for folks.’

So, when an enormous restructuring on the organisation got here alongside, Navtej accepted redundancy.

navtej on a Trip to Golden Temple in 2019
Navtej on a Journey to Golden Temple in India in 2019 (Image: Navtej Kaur)

Since then, she’s been performing some mission work, largely for charities, she’s volunteered at homelessness charity St Mungo’s, has turn out to be the trustee of one other native charity coping with habit within the Sikh group, and is working along with her native and childhood Gudwaras to handle problems with social isolation and psychological well being inside the Sikh group.

She additionally educated as a Sikh chaplain, and now volunteers inside the NHS as a result of she needs to help folks like her.

‘Chaplaincy isn’t nearly faith,’ she explains. ‘It’s about non secular, pastoral look after a person, no matter religion’

‘I can go, I can sit with them and simply maintain that area and perhaps provide a distinct manner of [their diagnosis],’ she provides.

‘I don’t know if I assist or not, nevertheless it’s one thing I really feel I must do exactly to pay again the therapeutic that I received.’

The character of this function entails serving to many individuals on the finish of their life, one thing which Navtej says is ‘humbling and extremely transferring’.

‘Lots of people haven't any religion in anyway,’ she tells us, ‘however they're going through the tip of their life and that’s a non secular time in itself.

‘I feel the closure of your life is as vital as the way you lived it.’

Navtej Kaur
‘I refused to give up’ (Image: Most cancers Analysis UK)

Navtej finds it exhausting to attempt to convey to folks the complexity of contemplating most cancers an especially tough however finally enriching expertise for her.

‘What I attempt to concentrate on is the truth that it has introduced me nearer to my faith,’ she explains.

She’s additionally cautious of sounding ‘condescending’, and says she’s conscious that most cancers isn’t a constructive story for everybody.

Throughout her therapy, she made associates alongside the best way who're not with us, so she is aware of what it’s prefer to lose folks to the illness.

Butshe needs to remind those who most cancers is one thing you possibly can get better from.

‘Once you get one thing like this, it's your mindset that helps you thru the journey,’ she explains.

Now, Navtej hopes to have the ability to assist folks once they have simply been identified, which is a time she considers essential on their highway forward.

‘Individuals are so susceptible once they’ve simply been instructed,’ she explains.

‘If that second will be harnessed in a constructive manner, it is going to translate into how the most cancers journey goes for them.

‘So if I can seize folks originally of being instructed they’ve received most cancers and simply say, “it’s not a dying sentence,” and produce into it a few of my studying, that’s what I might like to do.’

Navtej Kaur is supporting Most cancers Analysis UK’s very important work. To play your half and assist help analysis that may beat most cancers, go to cruk.org.