Cardi B has been awarded $4m (£2.96m) in damages in a libel lawsuit in opposition to a star gossip blogger who claimed that the rapper was a prostitute who used cocaine and had contracted sexually transmitted infections.
Cardi B, born Belcalis Almánzar, sued the blogger generally known as Tasha Ok in 2019 for posting a number of movies that unfold “malicious rumours”.
A federal jury discovered Tasha Ok, born Latasha Kebe, liable on two counts of slander, one rely of libel and one in every of invasion of privateness (by the way the title of Cardi B’s 2018 debut album).
The jury elevated Cardi B’s damages from $1.25m on 24 January, including a further $2.8m the next day. The determine contains $25,000 for medical bills and roughly $1.3m to cowl authorized charges.
Kebe’s YouTube channel, UnWineWithTashaK, has 1,000,000 subscribers. Attorneys for Cardi B additionally cited a video wherein Kebe claimed that the rapper’s first-born little one would have mental disabilities.
Cardi B testified that the movies made her really feel “extraordinarily suicidal” and stated “solely an evil individual might try this”.
The rapper’s lawsuit stated the movies would harm her repute and her enterprise prospects and that Kebe was “obsessive about slandering” her and utilizing her title to get views for her content material.
In response to the decision, Kebe tweeted: “My Husband, Legal professional’s [sic], & I fought actually onerous. I need to thank them for his or her lengthy hours and sleepless nights … it’s solely up from right here.”
Based on the rapper’s lawsuit, lots of Kebe’s movies about Cardi B stay on her YouTube channel regardless of receiving a cease-and-desist letter in 2018, shortly after she started posting about her.
The lawsuit, filed in Kebe’s residence state of Georgia, additionally included a visitor on the Tasha Ok channel, Starmarie Ebony Jones, who claimed to be an previous buddy of the rapper. She was exempt from this lawsuit after transferring to New York, the place final yr she was additionally discovered liable to Cardi B on counts of libel, slander and invasion of privateness.
Earlier this month, Cardi B supplied to pay the burial prices for the 17 individuals killed in a fireplace in a Bronx high-rise constructing.
“I’m extraordinarily proud to be from the Bronx and I've a lot of household and associates who stay and work there nonetheless. So, once I heard concerning the fireplace and all the victims, I knew I wanted to do one thing to assist,” she stated in an announcement.
“I can't start to think about the ache and anguish that the households of the victims are experiencing, however I hope that not having to fret concerning the prices related to burying their family members will assist as they transfer ahead and heal. I ship my prayers and condolences to everybody affected by this horrific tragedy.”
Post a Comment