Roger Federer praised Rafael Nadal after his Australian Open win
Roger Federer praised Rafael Nadal after his Australian Open win (Image: Getty)

Rafael Nadal says it ‘meant loads’ to obtain a heartfelt message from tennis rival Roger Federer after he gained the Australian Open to change into essentially the most profitable male participant in historical past.

Nadal got here from two units all the way down to beat US Open champion Daniil Medvedev in a shocking Melbourne remaining on Rod Laver Area.

The two-6 6-7 (5-7) 6-4 6-4 7-5 victory noticed Nadal transfer one forward of his nice rivals Federer and Novak Djokovic within the race to complete with most main males’s singles titles.

After Nadal lifted his 21th Grand Slam trophy, Federer stated: ‘What a match! To my buddy and nice rival Rafael Nadal, heartfelt congratulations on turning into the primary man to win 21 Grand Slam singles titles.

‘A number of months in the past we had been joking about each being on crutches. Wonderful. By no means underestimate an incredible champion. Your unimaginable work ethic, dedication and combating spirit are an inspiration to me and numerous others world wide.

‘I'm proud to share this period with you and honoured to play a job in pushing you to realize extra, as you've executed for me the previous 18 years. I'm certain you've extra achievements forward however for now take pleasure in this one!’

Responding to Federer’s elegant message, Nadal stated: ‘It means loads to me.

Nadal beat US Open champion Daniil Medvedev in a thrilling final
Nadal beat US Open champion Daniil Medvedev in an exciting remaining (Image: Getty)

‘We've got a tremendous relationship – we did superb issues collectively. For me it’s an incredible honour to be a part of his period.

‘Collectively we now have loved and lived superb moments of the historical past of our sport. To obtain a message like this from him means loads to me.

‘I want him properly, he is aware of, and I actually hope that we can play once more in essential phases.’

Nadal gained his first Australian Open in 2009 however had misplaced 4 finals earlier than turning into a two-time champion in Melbourne final weekend.

Nadal came from two sets down to stun Daniil Medvedev
Nadal got here from two units all the way down to stun Daniil Medvedev (Image: Getty)

Talking on the trophy presentation, the Spaniard stated: ‘Undoubtedly it is without doubt one of the most emotional wins of my profession.’

Australian Open runner-up Medvedev, in the meantime, added: ‘If we discuss tennis, I’m not that dissatisfied.

‘It was an enormous match, for certain, and there have been some small factors, small particulars, that I might have executed higher if I needed to win. However that’s tennis. That’s life.

‘Rafa performed unreal and raised his degree. I imply, two units to like up, I needed simply to go for him, go for extra. He was actually sturdy, the way in which he performed for 4 hours, I used to be even stunned.’

.

.