Lauren Jackson’s basketball comeback hinging on cannabis use exemption

An exemption to proceed utilizing medicinal hashish will likely be key after Lauren Jackson opened the door to an unimaginable World Cup basketball comeback as a 41-year-old later this 12 months.

Arguably the perfect feminine participant in historical past, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Corridor of Fame member, three-time WNBA MVP and 2006 world champion with the Opals was compelled into retirement with persistent knee ache in 2016.

However the 40-year-old has discovered aid since trialling medicinal hashish and is a serious advocate of the remedy that has coaxed her out of retirement to play for her hometown workforce Albury-Wodonga Bandits within the second-tier NBL1 from 2 April.

Set to play out of the stadium named after her, Jackson mentioned she had utilized for a therapeutic use exemption however must cease if denied.

“That’s been important in my capability to get well and are available again, simply the best way I’ve been coaching has helped me so much,” she mentioned. “I’m actually grateful I received on that trial and I’ll discover my choices to get that exemption.

“The previous couple of video games, there was a lot ache and that ended my profession proper there, however I don’t really feel that anymore.”

How she handles the grind of aggressive basketball once more will decide Jackson’s subsequent step, with the NBL1’s season working into August and the best build-up to September’s Fiba World Cup in Sydney.

The information of her return comes with Liz Cambage’s Opals profession seemingly over, the WNBA centre declaring she had “zero” curiosity in this system after her late Olympics withdrawal that adopted an incident in a warm-up sport.

Jackson has the backing of Opals coach Sandy Brondello and would-be teammates and is maintaining her choices open regardless of trying to speak down the prospect on Wednesday.

“I haven’t performed for eight years ... I could be horrible; there are such a lot of unknowns at this level and I’m 40 years previous,” she mentioned. “The celebrities have actually aligned for me in the mean time ... to be ache free, get out and transfer once more is what I’m hoping for.

“I used to be actually drained, basketball had taken an enormous toll on me emotionally so it’s going to be a brand new expertise for me and I’m so excited.”

Jackson’s Opals injection could possibly be simply the tonic for the World Cup hosts, who struggled with out Cambage in a quarter-final Tokyo Video games exit. They've since dropped a spot to No 3 on the earth and completed third on the Asia Cup late final 12 months.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post