Maria Friedman: ‘Sondheim was a kind man, but God, he could be very direct’

Maria Friedman, 61, is a singer, actor and director who has a pure musicality (her mother and father had been classical musicians) and is aware of easy methods to get inside a music and make it her personal – and ours – with emotional precision. An eight-time Olivier nominee (she has gained the prize thrice), she is understood for her interpretations of Stephen Sondheim’s songbook, and is about to have a good time him and the composers Marvin Hamlisch and Michel Legrand in Legacy, a present on the Menier Chocolate Manufacturing facility in London. Friedman is married to the actor Adrian Der Gregorian and has two sons.

Inform me concerning the first time you met Stephen Sondheim…
I used to be in my early 20s and in a gala as a alternative for a singer who had flu. I had two days to be taught Broadway Child [from Sondheim’s Follies]. The lyrics fitted me like a glove: it was a few lady with aspirations who wished to land an amazing job and never work in cafes or dwell in a bedsit with no cash. Everybody thought-about Broadway Child Elaine Stritch’s music [she was also on the bill that night]. The music began and a highlight went on to the center of the stage. I took a deep breath and was about to begin my music when, from the highest of the gods, somebody shouted: “Get off, we wish Elaine!” I had tears in my eyes however dug actually deep into these lyrics. It’s what I've executed ever since. Sondheim’s work is extraordinary: whenever you belief it and dwell in it, it retains you secure. The place went berserk. Sondheim was within the viewers; on the get together afterwards he requested: “Who was that lady?”

What was he like as a personality?
He got here to see me later in Ghetto on the Nationwide, and it was after that I acquired forged as Dot in Sunday within the Park With George. Sondheim was probably the most curious individual I’ve ever met. His intelligence was dazzling, however what I cherished most was his capability to snort and to care and to hear.

So was the nuanced bittercandy high quality of his music in proof within the man himself?
Life is bittersweet and his music displays that. He wrote about individuals’s complexities and relished them. There was by no means any judgment about individuals being fractured. He was a form, loyal man, however God, he could possibly be very … direct.

I collect he was godfather to considered one of your boys?
He was godfather to my son Toby and mentor to my youthful son, Alfie.

How do you interpret a music?
It’s gradual. You have got a odor, a sense about your connection. You are feeling it coming nearer and nearer till it turns into a part of your marrow and abruptly it belongs to you. Sondheim’s genius was that he left area for each actor to deliver their very own life into play – he was open to new interpretations and would roar with laughter whenever you got here up with one thing he had not considered.

Inform me about your present on the Chocolate Manufacturing facility, which can have a good time not solely Sondheim however the American composer Marvin Hamlisch and French composer Michel Legrand
I labored with them each, and travelled the world with them. I sang at Marvin Hamlisch’s memorial together with Aretha Franklin, Barbra Streisand and Liza Minnelli. Michel Legrand got here to see me in considered one of my exhibits and really performed the piano, which was unbelievable. I sang at his memorial too.

So that is in reminiscence of absent buddies?
It’s about legacy, celebrating three individuals I miss. Sondheim had this concept that every part needed to keep contemporary. And so throughout the pandemic I acquired numerous just lately graduated younger individuals to ship me tapes and auditioned them, and so they’re collaborating. This was not out of sympathy however as a result of they're superb.

Your father, Leonard Friedman, a violinist with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, left the household whenever you had been 5. How did that affect your life?
Take a look at the lads I’ve talked about: three Jewish older males … we don’t want a psychiatrist to inform us about that [laughs]. I realised one thing about my dad just lately. I hardly knew him however he acquired me as much as the Isle of Mull for considered one of his festivals. He promised me the world – cellos and violins and every part – however I ended opening my present with small pipes and a banjo, for f’s sake. He was doing a live performance down the street. Then, little by little, all of the musicians got here in and started making music, and that was the present that ended up on the Donmar as a result of Caro Newling, who's Sam Mendes’s producing associate, was on a strolling journey together with her mom and got here to see my little cabaret. I acquired my first Olivier award for that present. And that was due to my dad.

Your sister is the main West Finish producer Sonia Friedman. What do your different siblings do?
My brother is a solo violinist and was chief of the Royal Ballet… he’s superb. Sarah is a pc scientist and approach, approach cleverer than all of us. And great Benjy was the director/producer of Bake Off and is now a documentary-maker.

If you look again in your life, which has performed the larger half – luck or exhausting work?
Not understanding the principles meant we walked into conditions that any individual with extra schooling and a traditional upbringing may not have walked into. The shortage of ritual in our household meant we had been both going to drown or simply scrabble to remain afloat. I’ve spent months of my life beneath water with a bit of snorkel, simply managing. However when it comes to luck, I really feel blessed that music has been a part of my life. I’ve labored exhausting at it however I like what I achieve this it doesn’t really feel like work.

Getting most cancers in 2005 was clearly dangerous luck. How has that modified your notion of your life?
Lots of people say most cancers has made them bolder however it made me extra afraid. I gave up the business – no person believed I might – and did concert events and jobs that weren't going to take me away from placing my youngsters to mattress. I used to be 45. There are massive penalties when you step out of the business, however I didn’t have a selection. It was the best resolution, but a part of me acquired misplaced. It’s good now as a result of I’m coming again.

How outdated are your sons, and does being a mom get simpler as time goes by?
Toby is 27 and has a level in inclusive efficiency. He works with an autistic youngster at Chickenshed [theatre company]. My different son, Alfie, is nineteen and an excellent actor and has simply acquired an amazing half in Peter Kosminsky’s new TV sequence The Undeclared Conflict with Mark Rylance and Simon Pegg. As for being a mom … it does not get simpler as time goes by!

What Sondheim music would you select to get you thru the toughest instances?
Transfer On from Sunday within the Park With George – “Cease worrying the place you're going … The selection might have been mistaken, the selecting was not. It's a must to transfer on.” It’s about taking one little step ahead. Life adjustments and issues move. You possibly can’t stand nonetheless.

What’s the happiest music you sing?
The Approach You Look Tonight [by Jerome Kern]. It’s about capturing the second when you realize you’ll love any individual for ever and can develop outdated with them when you’re fortunate. I used to sing that to my little grandma and know she was transported to when she was younger dancing together with her good-looking husband. She was 96 and she or he was lovely. I like that music.

  • Legacy is on the Menier Chocolate Manufacturing facility, London, 3-20 March

This text was amended on 13 February 2022 to take away a picture of Friedman that incorrectly mentioned she was pictured with Stephen Sondheim.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post