Amy Poehler: ‘Parks and Rec is one of those comedies people medicate with’

What’s your course of to arrange for guiding, and the way does this examine together with your previous movies? fionasack

Nicely, Lucy and Desi is the primary documentary I’ve directed. There’s tons of prep and analysis earlier than you'll be able to even begin shaping the story. It was nice to work on throughout a pandemic as a result of, quite than being on set, I used to be out interviewing folks. My editor – who labored on the Bee Gees and Pavarotti documentaries – and I saved carving away to get a viewpoint. It actually began to take form as we received to grasp the topic extra. So it was a really completely different animal.

How huge an affect has Lucille Ball been by yourself comedy? DeJongandtherestless

As all good artwork comes out and in of your life, you see it in several methods. I Love Lucy felt like a present that got here with my TV, but it surely wasn’t till I used to be older that I actually began to note Lucille Ball’s efficiency. Then I began rewatching it for the writing, manufacturing and nostalgia. She’s an enormous affect as a result of she took very surreal and loopy conditions and performed them so grounded.

As Lucille Ball appears to be such an enormous affect, who would you've as friends at your dream dinner desk? isislloyd

I believe I’ll simply make the dinner desk Lucy and Desi associated, so Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Carol Burnett, Bette Midler, Norman Lear and Sammy Davis Jr could be a reasonably boisterous desk. I really feel like with that gang, there’d be a variety of cigarettes and never a variety of consuming, so possibly we’d simply order in a pizza.

Desi Arnaz licks Lucille Ball’s face In I Love Lucy.
Lucille Ball is a ‘large affect’ … Desi Arnaz licks his spouse’s face In I Love Lucy. Photograph: Archive Images/Getty Pictures

In the event you have been in your 20s, how would you attempt to get into comedy? Would you continue to go down the improv/Second Metropolis route, or would you be blowing up on TikTok?EmilyM

The enterprise has modified a lot, but expertise nonetheless appears to search out its approach. I didn’t have any connections once I first began my improv sketch group and doing reside performances. So: it’s an incredible query. Please don’t make me return to my 20s, I suppose is my reply. Don’t make me return. You possibly can’t make me return.

Kathryn Hahn refers to you as an actual “woman’s lady” – supportive and devoted to the empowerment and progress of girls. What else can we anticipate from Paper Kite Productions and how do you retain discovering the vitality to encourage the subsequent technology of younger ladies into turning into future leaders of comedy? HannaJames

Paper Kite is my manufacturing firm. We produce movie, TV and animation. Russian Doll season two is popping out subsequent month, and Harlem season two has simply received picked up on Amazon. It’s such a pleasure to run that firm with these genius ladies. Producing and directing provides me nice satisfaction. How do I discover the vitality? I don’t know. Possibly if I do have to return to my 20s, I’ll bottle up a backpack’s price of my 20s vitality and take it in capsule type.

You appear equally at dwelling writing, directing and producing as you do in entrance of the digital camera. However which makes you are feeling probably the most susceptible?HannaJames

I believe in case you’re doing all your job proper, you ought to be feeling uncertain and susceptible as a result of it means you’re pushing your self to attempt new issues. Doesn’t vulnerability discover its approach into all the things? I’ll reply the alternative, which is I actually don’t really feel invulnerable in any approach in any respect.

Poehler in Parks and Recreation.
Poehler in Parks and Recreation. Photograph: NBC/NBCU Picture Financial institution/NBCUniversal/Getty Pictures

My husband and I simply completed watching Parks and Rec for the third time, this time with our youngsters (9, 13 and 15), who howled with laughter; it’s so joyous and hopeful. What’s the key to its rewatchability? MillHouseMo

I believe – to get just a little existential – when occasions are scary and uncertain, we like to return to issues that we’ve seen earlier than. Comedy particularly is a approach to medicate. Lots of people went again to exhibits that they knew would preserve them joyful, that they might watch with their household, they usually knew how would finish. And I believe Parks and Rec was fortunate to be a type of.

Leslie Knope was usually labelled a “steamroller” for a way she performed herself in her relationships. How does a lady give herself the company of respect with out being misinterpreted as domineering or overbearing?HannaJames

I don’t know if it’s even a lady’s job to attempt to determine the steadiness. We should always take the burden off ladies usually. Ladies are continuously being requested to stroll the wonderful line of likable, aggressive, talking their thoughts and being nice. We should always shift the burden from determining the precise approach to categorical how ladies really feel and be extra receptive to the thought of making just a little more room.

I fairly often discover myself considering: “What would Leslie Knope do?” Do you?Jonesie38

Oh, sure. I imply, speak about vitality. That character is such an engine, so motion oriented and at all times attempting to determine a approach up and out. She has a robust sense of justice and is a loyal guardian to her mates. She sees issues in those that they don’t see in themselves and believes in folks earlier than they do. She doesn’t at all times assume or act accurately, however her coronary heart is at all times in the precise place. So, sure, I do typically take into consideration what Leslie would do.

Since Leslie is such a lover of breakfast meals, what's your favorite breakfast merchandise? Newbarbarian

Oh boy, that is the place we differ. I don’t wish to trigger an issue – I like waffles, however I don’t love them. I’m extra of a savoury breakfast individual … and that’s the type of performing you’re going to get from me. My character would possibly love a waffle; I simply like it. These are the type of stretches you get once I act.

Natasha Lyonne in Russian Doll, co-created by Amy Poehler
Natasha Lyonne in Russian Doll, co-created by Amy Poehler. Photograph: AP

What British comedy do you want? Thatonethere

I’m a baby of the 80s, so our British comedy got here smuggled on a VHS tape from the cousin of a pal who had heard a few present referred to as Brass Eye. So we needed to get a variety of our British comedy bootleg fashion, except it was one thing extra mainstream like Monty Python that was proven on PBS. We didn’t have entry in the way in which we do now, so it took so lengthy for us to find your stunning shining jewels.

What's your opinion on darkish comedy and would you ever play a personality like Fleabag? NourMyth

I haven’t heard a phrase you mentioned as a result of I’m nonetheless furiously attempting to consider the most effective British comedies to look cool. I’m too scared to even begin naming as a result of I've such deep reverence for British comedy. People my age felt very particular after we received to find it, like we have been the one ones who knew who Garth Marenghi was. Gimme a minute.

What's your recommendation to younger aspiring film-makers and writers? ellapascua

Hmm. Get your listing of the most effective British comedies prepared for the Guardian, for fuck’s sake. For comedy writers – and this recommendation is just not new in any approach – simply write continuously, on a regular basis, as a lot as you'll be able to, as a lot as you'll be able to stand. As a result of, like every muscle, it's a must to preserve working it. It’s the identical with performing, improvising … you simply need to preserve attempting.

You’ve written, produced, and directed so many phenomenal items of TV and movie through the years, what sorts of tales do you gravitate in the direction of now, and the way do they differ from what you 10 years in the past? bvckle

I've no enjoyable reply for this, however I’m simply at all times looking for new fascinating methods to determine characters and other people. Sorry. I’m in a complete spiral about my listing of British comedies. I can’t cease interested by it. You title some British comedies and I’ll price them from one to 5 biscuits. Alan Partridge? 5 biscuits! The Workplace UK? 5 biscuits! Peep Present? 5 biscuits! Fawlty Towers? 4 biscuits.

In the event you have been to direct one other documentary, what or who would you do it on? lauren8101

Oh, I don’t know. Who would you prefer to see a documentary on? French and Saunders? Twenty-five biscuits! I've such excessive respect for British comedy that I used to be paralysed on the considered speaking about my favorite varieties of it. Now there’s simply this unimaginable cross-pollination of casting, writers and actors working collectively in ways in which I don’t assume they ever did earlier than, which is frankly very thrilling, like Disaster with the good Rob Delaney and the good Sharon Horgan. Disaster! 5 biscuits and one cookie, as a result of Rob Delaney is American.

Lucy and Desi is on Prime Video now

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post