Mum’s ‘pregnancy headaches’ turned out to be a brain tumour

dominique nicholson
Dominique skilled extreme complications whereas pregnant, however assumed this was simply right down to being drained (Image: Dominique Nicholson/Caters Information)

When Dominique Nicholson, 32, was pregnant, she started experiencing extreme complications – however assumed she was simply drained.

The mum-of-two was devastated when, after welcoming her second daughter, Erin, she found the true trigger: a grade two atypical mingioma mind tumour.

Dominique underwent surgical procedure to have 95% of the mass eliminated after giving delivery, and wrote goodbye letters to her daughters, Erin, now two, and Freya, now six.

Fortunately, she survived – and is now sharing her story to lift consciousness of the indicators of mind tumours.

‘I had complications after I was pregnant with my first daughter, Freya,’ mentioned the mum.

‘So after I had complications with Erin, I wasn’t involved. I assumed it was a mixture of the stress of getting a younger youngster, working, being pregnant and usually drained.

‘I discussed my complications to my midwife round 5 occasions, however she agreed there was no trigger for concern and I assumed as soon as I had given delivery they'd ease.’

After Dominique gave delivery to Erin, her complications continued to worsen.

dominique the day after her surgery
Dominique wanted surgical procedure to take away the mass (Image: Dominique Nicholson/Caters Information)

‘I used to be emptying the dishwasher and as I bent down, the strain behind my eyes was intense and I fell to the ground in agony,’ she remembers.

‘My head was throbbing and when my husband, David, now 31, got here dwelling we went to the hospital.’

Dominique, a licensing conveyancer, was despatched for a CT scan, which revealed she had a mass on her mind.

She needed to bear craniotomy surgical procedure to take away all however a small proportion of the tumour, which was wrapped round a significant vessel.

The operation was a hit and Dominique was in a position to go dwelling quickly afterwards; with a 21cm scar throughout her brow and down the right-hand facet of her face.

‘I spent a number of time sobbing in hospital,’ Dominique mentioned.

‘I wanted to place issues in place, so I wrote letters, organized godparents and thought of issues to assist David if one thing went improper in surgical procedure.

dominique nicholson's scar after brain surgery
She was left with a big scar (Image: Dominique Nicholson/Caters Information)

‘I distracted myself as a lot as I might, getting ready issues for Dave in case I wasn’t there.

‘I used to be recognized, operated on and residential inside seven days.

‘I wanted to be with my household.

‘I additionally noticed a counsellor because it was so much to cope with. I think about myself to be so fortunate and I'm grateful to be alive.

‘I now have annual scans to verify if the tumour has come again.

‘It's worrying to assume it could come again and that does trigger me a number of nervousness if I get a headache.’

Now, Dominique is trying ahead to celebrating her and her associate’s 10-year wedding ceremony anniversary in 2022.

Within the meantime, the couple will concentrate on persevering with to lift consciousness of mind tumours.

She mentioned: ‘The Mind Tumour Charity is unbelievable and I simply wish to get as a lot consciousness out as doable.

 Erin, Dominique and Freya together
Dominique is eager to lift consciousness of mind tumours (Image: Dominique Nicholson/Caters Information)

‘I'm working 130 miles to symbolize the 130 forms of mind tumours that exist.

‘I'm very fortunate to have been handled so rapidly and I don’t like to consider what might have occurred if I didn’t.

‘I wish to warn everybody – however particularly mums and expectant mums – to not put their very own well being final.

‘You already know your individual physique and what's regular and if one thing isn’t proper push for solutions.

‘My complications have been ongoing, I felt sick and I used to be forgetting issues.

‘If that sounds such as you, please go to your physician.’

That is Dominique’s third 12 months of challenges and this 12 months she will likely be finishing 2 Olympic Triathlon distances.

To contribute in the direction of Dominique’s fundraiser, head to her JustGiving web page.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post