‘Tom Hanks would be boring if he was just nice’: the podcaster interviewing the star – after being fired by him

Connor Ratliff has instructed the story a thousand occasions. About when, as a younger up-and-coming actor, he auditioned for a small function on the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers. About how he initially acquired the half, solely to be fired earlier than filming started as a result of one of many present’s government producers thought Ratliff had “lifeless eyes”. About how, and right here’s the true kicker, the chief producer in query was Tom Hanks.

The sting of the rejection was tangible and long-lasting, partly as a result of the criticism centred on an unfixable a part of Ratliff’s look, and partly as a result of it got here from a person with a status for being the world’s dad. His confidence knocked, Ratliff deserted a promising appearing profession in favour of a lifetime of improv comedy. For the previous couple of years, he has leveraged the Hanks incident into his glorious podcast Useless Eyes the place, with a ranging diploma of sincerity, he interrogates the consequences of being rejected by the nicest man in Hollywood.

Ratliff most not too long ago instructed the story on Late Evening With Seth Meyers. However this time there was a twist. Searching nervously on the crowd, Ratliff introduced that, in his subsequent episode of Useless Eyes, he would lastly sit down and discuss to Tom Hanks. The announcement was met with loud gasps from the studio viewers.

“I did watch it again, particularly as a result of I needed to listen to whether or not the viewers reactions have been as audible as they felt within the room,” Ratliff tells me over Zoom from New York two days later (as he have to be sick of being instructed by now, his eyes don’t look lifeless). “After I instructed the story, it was the primary time in a very long time the place individuals had this emotional response of ‘Oh no.’ I don’t understand how a lot of that was feeling sorry for me and the way a lot of that was like: ‘We don’t wish to hear a narrative that makes us really feel in a different way about Tom Hanks.’ However 30 seconds later they have been like: ‘Oh, you bought him!’ They acquired the expertise that listeners have had, however condensed into 60 seconds.”

For Ratliff to interview Hanks, the writer of his downfall, is an enormous deal. This form of territory has been effectively trodden on podcasts – Marc Maron spent years wailing about his failed Saturday Evening Stay audition earlier than lastly attending to hash it out with Lorne Michaels – however Useless Eyes is completely different, in that the entire thing is particularly concerning the time Hanks was unfathomably impolite about him. As such, Hanks is the white whale that Ratliff has been chasing for ever. Simply a few months in the past when he interviewed Tom’s son Colin Hanks, Useless Eyes listeners reacted with breathless pleasure. There was a second when Colin appeared to point that this was in all probability as far up the totem pole as Ratliff would get. What modified?

Tom Hanks on the set of Band of Brothers, 2001.
Tom Hanks on the set of Band of Brothers, 2001. Photograph: Landmark Media/Alamy

“On the time, I genuinely was like: ‘I ponder if Colin is the one that’s taking the bullet for all the household,’” Ratliff remembers throughout one in every of his endearingly rangy solutions. “But it surely looks like my dialog with Colin going effectively was what finally led to Tom being on the present. After I was speaking to Colin, it was such a simple dialog. We talked for 3 and a half hours. I simply had such a terrific grasp. And it wasn’t actually till with hindsight that I used to be like: ‘I ponder if …’”

Regardless of its distinctive premise, the great thing about Useless Eyes is its universality. Although not everybody has had their profession torpedoed by probably the most beloved man in Hollywood, we've got all skilled some type of rejection in our lives. That the podcast has caught on so strongly in professions the place rejection is an on a regular basis a part of the job, similar to appearing and writing, exhibits what ripe materials that is.

This bears fruit with the calibre of company Ratliff can e-book. My favorite episode up to now is the one the place Damon Lindelof, the creator of Misplaced, The Leftovers and HBO’s Watchmen, attracts a straight line between Ratliff dropping out on Band of Brothers and his personal difficult emotions concerning the ultimate episode of Misplaced. However there are additionally episodes the place he talks to the Band of Brothers author concerning the character he needed to play, and to different well-known actors who tried and didn't be solid on the present. Though it’s overwhelmingly performed for laughs – “I’m doing advantageous; I'm a contented particular person general,” Ratliff insists – the development of the podcast, excavating an outdated wound from each conceivable angle, offers it the texture of an investigative true-crime present. It’s superbly finished.

Nevertheless, Ratliff is aware of that the world is now paying him a lot consideration due to the Hanks interview. Whereas he’s eager to maintain all the great things for his podcast, a preview clip appears to point out Hanks extra defensive than traditional, asking Ratliff: “Do you wanna journey me or hug me? You wanna punch me or kiss me?” With out giving something away, I ask Connor to inform me how he thought the interview went. Was he nervous to lastly see Hanks once more?

“I’m 46 years outdated,” he replies. “It’s a thrill to fulfill Tom Hanks, but in addition I’ve met sufficient well-known individuals to have a clearer understanding that the mythology of an individual is completely different than the flesh and blood human being you’re going to take a seat in a room and discuss with.”

And Hanks? Did you get the sense that you just have been being charmed as a type of harm limitation? “No person I’ve met in my whole life is healthier at placing the room relaxed than Tom Hanks,” Ratliff replies. “However whereas there’s fact to the entire nicest man in showbusiness factor, it’s really a extra difficult fact, as a result of he’s additionally sly and sarcastic and humorous. He’s not simply good. He’d be boring if he was simply the nicest man.

“I don’t assume I’m kidding myself, though I’m conscious that’s the likelihood, however I believe I can recognise the distinction between a press-trained interview and a real dialog,” he goes on. “I believe Tom is savvy sufficient to know that a press-trained model wouldn't play in addition to one the place he's fully trustworthy and forthcoming and his reactions are within the second. I didn’t get the sense that he got here with a bag of tips.”

Professionally, Ratliff is doing OK. Born in Missouri, he got here to the UK and studied at Paul McCartney’s Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts, and has subsequently scored recurring roles on exhibits similar to Search Celebration and The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. His identify recognition grew because of the success of the podcast, however information of the Hanks interview has made him extra excessive profile than ever.

“I noticed that Questlove tweeted about it. How did that occur?” he asks with a observe of real bewilderment. “I’ve been very fortunately working at a really low stage for a really very long time, the place you draw this small however appreciative viewers on your work. However the second you elevate over a sure stage, you begin getting people who find themselves simply wandering in and being like: ‘What’s this? I don’t prefer it.’ I knew yesterday that one thing had modified, after I acquired much more individuals who have been like: ‘So you bought fired, it’s time to recover from it.’ I’m like: ‘Yeah, I stated that in about 25 of the episodes.’ Then it acquired to some extent the place I used to be getting tagged in tweets the place Pizzagate [conspiracy theory] individuals have been arguing with one another about crypto. The doorways are totally open at this level.”

The large query, in fact, is what occurs to Useless Eyes subsequent. Ratliff has lastly caught his white whale, and plenty of listeners (me included) have been apprehensive that this may convey the podcast to a swift finish. Fortunately, Ratliff is eager to press on. Earlier than the information of the Hanks interview hit, Useless Eyes was already beginning to turn into what he describes as a sequence about “unimportant however deeply felt disappointments and failures, and the way we reckon with them”, and people don’t cease simply since you’ve spoken to Forrest Gump.

A living proof. After Useless Eyes began to explode, Ratliff auditioned for a Netflix film. He didn’t get the half however, as followers of the podcast, the producers invited him to assist with the desk learn at his common day price. “However there was some extent the place somebody within the room shouted: ‘All proper, everyone! We’re going to make a film!’” he remembers. “And everybody’s clapping. And I used to be there pondering, ‘Properly, I’m not going to make a film.’”

There’s your first post-Hanks episode, I say. “I realised that as I used to be telling you,” Ratliff smiles. “What an effective way to advertise this Netflix authentic movie.” Congratulations on turning into a device of the system, I say. “Oh precisely. Please, I’ll fortunately be a device of the system,” he says. “So long as I can nonetheless be me and say what I need, I’m more than pleased to battle the system from inside.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post