Woman gives her home a groovy 1970s themed makeover with upcycled buys

Witske Sikma's 70s home
Wietske fell in love with the Seventies (Image: Mercury Press)

Wietske Sikma, 57, has all the time had a ardour for the Seventies.

A lot in order that she’s spent years reworking her three-bedroom home into an ode to the last decade.

The assistant charity supervisor from Rotterdam, Netherlands, has stuffed her dwelling with groovy orange tones, geometric prints, and classic thrifted finds.

Her fondness for the 70s extends to her wardrobe, too – she’s picked up a great deal of retro clothes from the period.

Wietske mentioned: ‘I’ve been amassing classic and retro objects for many of my life.

‘I’ve collected the whole lot from clothes to ash trays, cushion covers and outdated telephones.

70s themed bedroom
Each room in her house is decked out in 70s prints and classic finds (Image: Mercury Press)

‘I even have items from after I was 11 years outdated from after I stayed over at a relative’s home again within the 70s.

‘I’ve had the identical two orange chairs and shag rug for so long as I can bear in mind.

‘I truly nonetheless have one of many first issues I purchased, which was an orange vintage hi fi.

‘I simply love the colors and shapes for the 70s interval, they’re so stunning, they simply deliver an amazing happiness to no matter room they embellish.

70s livingh room
Wietske has performed all of the interiors work herself (Image: Mercury Press)

‘The shapes and patterns are actually distinctive, and I’ve been portray and re-creating the kinds in all places I’ve lived for the previous 30 years!’

Wietske’s house is now like a time capsule that takes you again to the previous, and loads of that's all the way down to her DIY expertise.

She’s performed loads of the work herself, upcycling thrifted finds and reupholstering furnishings to stay to the theme.

‘I’m an enormous fan of 70s materials and have lined loads of my home with them,’ mentioned Wietske.

‘I’ve used it to make curtains, covers for containers, cushions, stools and even chairs.

70s bedroom
Most of the items are upcycled thrifted objects (Image: Mercury Press)

‘I additionally actually love wallpaper particularly ones with completely different patterns which are actually vibrant, typically I'll simply minimize a sq. out of a bit of cloth or wallpaper that I like and dangle it up like a bit of artwork.

‘My favorite room in the home is the lounge due to the wall rack I created between the 2 chimneys.

‘It’s like a floating shelving unit, and the browns simply distinction so properly with the intense oranges on both facet.

‘I like fixing issues up and making them look unimaginable.

‘There’s nothing higher than placing collectively one thing stunning out of wooden and creating one thing that you could’t purchase new within the retailer.’

As wonderful because the interiors look now, Wietske isn’t performed simply but.

70s vase, mirror, wallpaper
Wietske isn’t performed but (Image: Mercury Press)

‘It’s taken me years to embellish my dwelling as a tribute to the 70s, however it should by no means be completed,’ she famous.

‘There’s all the time one thing else so as to add, and I'm continually discovering extra objects on-line and in thrift shops that I’ll choose up for my assortment.

‘Classic objects are undoubtedly beginning to rise in worth now that it’s rising in popularity, however I nonetheless like to discover a good cut price right here and there corresponding to an unimaginable ash tray that value me round 80 pence.

“I don’t suppose I’ll ever spend numerous cash on 70s objects, it’s finest to seek out issues low-cost or to up cycle items to replicate the interval.

‘I might by no means think about having a plain dwelling, it simply reveals an absence of creativity.’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post