Dan Walker leaving BBC Breakfast after 6 years for new Channel 5 show

BBC presenter Dan Walker during the FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium, London.
Dan is departing the BBC Breakfast sofa within the subsequent few weeks (Image: PA)

Dan Walker is hanging up his BBC Breakfast swimsuit to tackle the flagship information bulletin for Channel 5.

Within the large announcement as we speak, the presenter, who has been on the Breakfast sofa since 2016 will entrance Channel 5’s revamped 5 Information, after Sian Williams introduced she was stepping down final month.

Revealing the information on Monday, Dan stated ‘it’s been a large determination’ for him to go away the BBC for his new function at Channel 5.

The transfer may also see him current a slate of recent reveals on the channel, together with a variety of brand-new non-news programming for Channel 5.

Dan joins Claudia-Liza Vanderpuije who co-presents 5 Information, which is produced by ITN.

Talking concerning the transfer, Dan stated in a press release: ‘I can’t wait to get caught into the every day information present, however I'm additionally enthusiastic about making some nice new TV for Channel 5.

‘I like their concepts and creativity and it’s uncommon to get a possibility like this the place paths and ambitions meet. The possibility to do one thing completely different was too good to show down.’

The Strictly Come Dancing alum shared a video to his Twitter because the announcement was made, revealing he’ll be leaving the BBC ‘within the subsequent few weeks’.

He went on: ‘I’m actually excited however this has additionally been a large determination for me as a result of I like Breakfast, I like working alongside Sally (Nugent) and I like the group there.

He hosts the present alongside Sally Nugent (Image: BBC)

‘However Channel 5 got here with massive ambitions, massive plans and I don’t suppose alternatives like this come round fairly often and I can’t wait.

‘I’ve additionally had the unbelievable privilege of engaged on some iconic programmes over the previous few years, each artwork the BBC and elsewhere, and what I like about his deal is that I not solely get to current the information, however I get to host a variety of recent programmes throughout the channel.’

Dan stated: ‘And what an honour to step into the footwear of Sian Williams, I understand how widespread she is with each the group and the viewers. All I can say is I'll do my easiest to keep up her extremely excessive requirements.

‘Thanks for watching and I’ll see you quickly on a TV display screen someplace.’

Dan joined BBC Breakfast in 2016, having beforehand hosted BBC Radio 5 Reside’s Afternoon Version, with the programme pulling in audiences of as much as 2.3million (which fuelled a rivalry with Piers Morgan throughout his time on Good Morning Britain).

He co-hosts the morning programme with Sally Nugent, after Louise Minchin stepped down in September final 12 months, whereas additionally presenting BBC Sport’s The NFL Present, and beforehand fronted Soccer Focus from 2009 to 2021.

Sian has offered 5 Information since 2016 and introduced in March that she can be stepping down from every day information presenting to take up extra wide-ranging alternatives, whereas persevering with to host her common strand Thoughts Issues with Dr Sian for five Information in addition to particular initiatives and documentaries for the channel and ITN.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post