Mark Williams talks World Snooker Championship contenders and getting ‘cheesed off’ by Ronnie O’Sullivan loss

Betfred World Snooker Championship - Day Twelve
Mark Williams is making a twenty fourth journey to the Crucible this yr (Image: Getty Photos)

Mark Williams doesn't associate with the narrative that this yr’s World Snooker Championship is essentially the most open ever, believing will probably be one of many typical suspects who lifts the title on the Crucible.

With doubts hanging over a few of the large hitters within the draw, together with some severe shocks in tournaments this season and a really prime quality of qualifiers, this yr’s World Championship feels an open affair.

Nonetheless, the three-time champ is just not so certain, not anticipating an outsider to choose up the trophy and feeling like he has heard all of it earlier than.

On whether or not that is essentially the most open draw ever, Williams instructed Metro.co.uk: ‘Under no circumstances. I feel it’s nonetheless going to be one of many handful of 5 or 6 names anybody may choose off the highest of their head.

‘One in every of them will win it anyway, most likely. They are saying it’s essentially the most open event yearly. “Anybody can win this one!” Selby wins it. “That is essentially the most open event we’ve ever seen!” Judd Trump wins it or Ronnie wins it. “You may’t choose a winner this time!” Selby wins once more. It’s the identical yearly.’

Requested whether or not he's in that handful of potential winners, Williams sometimes downplayed his probabilities, saying: ‘No I’m not. Probably not. I by no means actually put myself in that.’

Williams isn’t actually ruling out his probabilities although, regardless of being rated as one thing of an out of doors within the betting earlier than the event.

The three-time champion who gained as not too long ago as 2018 was obtainable at round 33/1 in locations which appears odd given his Crucible pedigree and good kind this season.

‘I’m all the time like that,’ he mentioned. ‘I feel once I gained it the third time I used to be about 80/1. I don’t know who does the betting, it’s nothing to concern me. I simply crack on and do the very best I can.

‘I don’t know who’s in entrance of me, but when I had a have a look at the rankings I’d most likely have extra probability of profitable it than some individuals in entrance of me.’

One in every of Williams’ nice strengths is his means to brush off defeats and even seemingly hurtful losses don’t hassle him.

Nonetheless, his 10-9 loss to Ronnie O’Sullivan within the Tour Championship quarter-finals final month was a uncommon stinging defeat, with the Welshman admitting that it acquired to him, for a few days at the least.

2019 Coral Tour Championship - Day 1
Williams has suffered some dramatic defeats this season, though started the marketing campaign by profitable the British Open (Image: Getty Photos)

‘I don’t actually know as a result of I misplaced to Neil Robertson [at the Masters] in lots worse circumstances than that and it didn’t hassle me a bit,’ he mentioned.

‘As quickly as I misplaced that was it, I didn’t take it away in any respect, I wasn’t bothered in any respect however this one I don’t know, I used to be actually cheesed off for a few days.

‘In all probability as a result of, I by no means say ‘ought to’ have gained, however I may have gained. I performed actually good, he performed wonderful and I may or ought to have beat him. Couple of half probabilities within the final and blew it. ‘

On whether or not it was annoying as a result of it was the Rocket within the different chair, he mentioned: ‘Probably, I don’t assume so, however it may have been behind my thoughts. Individuals hold occurring about me not beating him for 20 years, so 21 isn’t going to make a distinction.’

Williams was joyful to touch upon Hossein Vafaei’s latest interview, when the Iranian claimed O’Sullivan was not good for snooker and will retire.

The veteran thought Vafaei had some extent when it got here to O’Sullivan speaking the sport down, however disagreed with the Rocket being unhealthy for snooker or that he ought to hold up his cue.

‘That’s the components I agree with,’ Williams mentioned of O’Sullivan talking badly of snooker. ‘However however if it wasn’t for him the sport wouldn’t be the place it's as we speak.

‘He's the draw. Even now whether or not you want him or not, he’s the one everybody desires to see. Neglect Robertson, Trump, Selby, if he’s enjoying he’ll outshine all of them with ticket gross sales and all the things. That’s only a reality. It's what it's. When he retires it’s the sport’s loss and everybody’s loss.’

.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post