Pregnant Love Island star Olivia Bowen opens up on judgement expectant parents face: ‘I wasn’t ready for it’

Love Island star Olivia Bowen has opened up concerning the pressures and judgement that expectant dad and mom can face whereas speaking candidly about her ‘roller-coaster’ being pregnant journey.

The previous actuality star turned TV presenter and entrepreneur, 28, is at the moment pregnant along with her first baby along with her husband Alex Bowen, 30, who she met on the second sequence of the ITV2 present in 2016 earlier than the pair married in a beautiful ceremony in Essex in 2018.

Alex and Olivia are captivated with elevating consciousness across the opinions that may be piled upon expectant dad and mom, have not too long ago partnered with C&G Child Membership, for its #LoveDontJudge marketing campaign, which goals to lift consciousness round parental judgement and to name for it to cease.

Chatting with , the star opened up concerning the pressures that she feels as an expectant mum, and the way different individuals’s views impression girls’s wellbeing. Furthermore, she mentioned how these judgements have change into much more pronounced as a result of social media.

Regardless of this, Olivia nonetheless believes ‘hand on coronary heart’ that the ‘majority of feedback are coming from a great place’. She added: ‘However the judgements don’t simply come from on-line, they arrive from your loved ones and mates, there's a statistic that seven out of 10 dad and mom and oldsters to be really feel judged, so it’s an enormous a part of a brand new guardian’s life.’

The marketing campaign comes as new analysis by C&G reveals that British dad and mom are experiencing document ranges of judgement, with that strain rising steeply by 1 / 4 within the final 12 months.

olivia bowen alex bowen
Olivia and Alex met on Love Island (Image: Karwai Tang/WireImage)

This fixed feeling of being judged is inflicting half of fogeys to really feel apprehensive about having extra youngsters.

This stage of judgement and scrutiny negatively impacts psychological well being for seven in 10 new dad and mom, with the feedback various extensively from individuals criticising bump dimension, to perinatal weight acquire, and even commenting on the consuming habits of youngsters as soon as they’re born.

Talking concerning the findings, Olivia believes being pregnant is the ‘most traumatic factor’ and that out of all of the occasions in your life, that’s whenever you most ‘want help’.

Olivia Bowen baby prep
Olivia is pregnant along with her first baby (Image: Instagram/ oliviadbowen)

The couple introduced their first being pregnant in January, by sharing a sequence of candy polaroids on Instagram, whereas telling followers: ‘Joyful New 12 months, Child Bowen is on the best way.’

She mentioned: ‘I feel it’s nearly educating individuals on what’s proper to say, what’s not fairly proper to say, what doesn’t have to be mentioned, however I feel social media permits individuals into different individuals’s lives and it does make it simpler.’

Nevertheless it’s not simply mums who really feel the strain. Dads expertise it too. Olivia defined how her husband Alex additionally felt judged, with some individuals even making feedback on his choice to proceed working throughout her being pregnant.

‘Are you aware there was one remark specifically that got here via once we had been taking pictures the marketing campaign [where] somebody mentioned, “Why are you continue to DJing whereas Olivia is pregnant?”

‘And he was like… it’s my job! It was as if somebody had night time shifts or, it’s his livelihood it’s how he makes his cash, and to type of go at him and make him really feel responsible for that for going out and offering for me while I’m pregnant it’s simply horrible it’s not wanted.’

Olivia Bowen baby prep
Alex Bowen is a DJ (Image: Instagram/ oliviadbowen)

The expectant first-time mum has obtained help from different Love Island mums, although, with a spate of former contestants getting pregnant and having infants lately.

Islander Katie Salmon revealed in January that she was six months pregnant, earlier than asserting that she’d given start on Mom’s Day. Cara Delahoyde additionally revealed that she’d given start in 2020 with accomplice Nathan Massey, and simply final month, Jess Shears revealed that she’s anticipating her second baby with husband Dom Lever.

Jessica Shears, love island
Jessica Shears (left) has additionally revealed that she’s pregnant (Image: ITV/REX/Shutterstock)

‘There may be some type of child increase occurring on the minute within the trade as a result of everyone seems to be pregnant, Katie Salmon has simply had her child,’ Olivia mentioned.

‘She was on my sequence, she’s simply had her child and he or she’s been messaging me a few occasions.

‘Jess Shears, she wasn’t on my sequence however she’s messaged me speaking concerning the canine, and introducing the canine to the newborn, and Cara Delahoyde as effectively, who I spoke to, was really the primary one who type of come to me and [warned me on the] judgement you get on-line, and the way like full-on it's whenever you’re a guardian.

‘And I feel that was one of many beginning factors once I realised that everybody will get it, and that’s why it was so fascinating and that’s why once we received this marketing campaign it suits so effectively as a result of as quickly as Cara mentioned it to me, I instantly began getting judgement in my inbox and I knew it might occur however I wasn’t notably prepared for [it].

Love island olivia bowen
Olivia Bowen has opened up about her being pregnant journey (Image: Ana M. Wiggins / BACKGRID)

olivia alex bowen
Olivia and Alex are fronting the C&G Child Membership marketing campaign (Image: James Linsell-Clark/ SWNS)

‘The minute from Cara messaging me to wanting in my inbox and seeing these judgements, it was really like wow it’s actually full-on for parents-to-be and oldsters typically.’

Olivia has been open about her psychological well being battles up to now, revealing that she’s additionally suffered from ‘anxiousness and melancholy’, that was partly triggered by trolls commenting on her weight and look.

alex and olivia bowen on love island
Alex and Olivia met on Love Island in 2016 (Image: Rex)

‘I’ve suffered with melancholy and anxiousness earlier than and I actually thought that may heighten these feelings, that it'd carry out the worst in me, however really, nearly all of the time I’ve been very blissful and have really handled it rather well and we’ve each been fairly stunned that I’ve had that journey.

‘It’s undoubtedly been an up-and-down factor, this morning I used to be crying within the kitchen, it’s a roller-coaster however I’m so blessed to be going via it, I feel that’s one of many issues I've to recollect, I’m simply so fortunate to be going via it.’

Olivia, who mentioned she’s not been hit too badly by nausea thus far, additionally mentioned how taking care of her psychological well being is so key throughout being pregnant, whereas the bodily modifications are of much less significance to her.

alex olivia bowen
Alex and Olivia hit it off on the present (Image: ITV)

‘The physique picture isn’t a lot of a factor for me. What I’ve type of mentioned is to Alex and we had the dialog this morning it’s the mentality and the psychological area that I used to be fearful about and I used to be fearful that’s what I’d battle with and I feel that’s what girls and oldsters to be don’t speak about sufficient and it’s a type of issues and it’s such a change.

‘It's such a second to adapt whenever you’re going via your being pregnant and that’s the bit I’ve struggled with, the considered turning into a brand new particular person and the change in my life.’

Sharing her plans for a bigger household, she additionally revealed that she and Alex are aiming for ‘at the very least two’ youngsters collectively.

She mentioned: ‘I feel we’ve mentioned two. I feel we'll see the way it goes.

‘I’ve received a brother and I’ve received a little bit sister, and it’s good to have a sibling, and though me and my bro had been at one another’s throats rising up I feel it’s very good to have a sibling, and I feel it might be good to have two youngsters, however clearly we’re fortunate sufficient to have one.’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post