What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - mima sitting in bed
Mima lives alone in a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

It’s time as soon as once more for What I Hire, our weekly collection that sees what individuals get for what they pay in lease and payments.

Final Tuesday, we have been nosing round a two-bedroom flat in Cape City, South Africa.

This week, we’re in Folkestone, Kent, with Mima, 29, a social media supervisor for vacation property firm Coolstays.

Having grown up in Maidstone in Kent, Mima moved across the county a bit earlier than spending a while in London, and a 12 months in Vietnam.

She moved to Folkestone simply over a 12 months in the past after getting her job, which is totally distant.

‘I’d all the time wished to stay by the ocean, so right here I'm,’ Mima tells Metro.co.uk. ‘I stay alone. its one thing I all the time wished to do as having my very own house is one thing I actually worth and to me is value the additional expense.’

Right here’s what Mima rents.

I pay £695 in lease. Council tax is slightly below £100, fuel/electrical is £67 and water is £24 and I pay £26 for high-speed broadband, important since I do business from home.

So in complete £912 every month, which is an enormous chunk of my pay, however value it for my very own house.

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent mima sitting on a beanbag in the living room
Hire is £695 a month (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

It’s a flat with one bed room, an enormous lounge, a kitchen and a toilet.

Positively. I've associates paying much more than what I pay for my complete flat, for a room in a houseshare in London.

My flat is correct in the course of Folkestone, which I like. It’s in what you'd name the ‘previous city’ – my entrance door has an enormous plaque over it as a result of it’s the birthplace of William Harvey, the man who found blood circulation, which is kind of cool.

I can stroll all over the place so infrequently want my automotive. The ocean is actually 5 minutes away and I stay simply on the sting of what’s often called the Inventive Quarter, which is stuffed with unbiased bars, espresso outlets, and so on, so there's a very nice vibe.

Being right here in the summertime is superb because the Harbour is stuffed with avenue meals vans and all the time has occasions on.

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - oil diffusers and candles
Mima grew up close by, in Maidstone, Kent (Image: UkNewsinPictures)

Simply looking out on Rightmove! I utilized for a number of flats in and round Margate initially however saved dropping out – I feel as a result of I might have be a sole occupant reasonably than a pair.

I don’t assume the images did this flat justice although, I nearly canceled the viewing as a result of didn’t assume it seemed that good and Folkestone wasn’t actually the place I wished to be. It couldn’t have labored out higher although.

That is the primary place I’ve needed to myself and it got here utterly unfurnished so I did wrestle to make it really feel like dwelling! I moved in with only a mattress, a fridge and a desk, constructing the remainder of my furnishings up over time.

The lounge was an enormous, hole house for ages earlier than I sorted out a settee and a few cabinets and so on. I had lived right here for about 5 months earlier than I even received a television.

However now I’m build up an honest assortment of knick-knacks and simply including a great deal of crops.

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - sunrise alarm clock, polaroid picture, candle, water bottle
She spent a while in London then in Vietnam (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

The property firm are nice truly, it’s a really commonplace settlement simply to not go away any marks behind, fill and repaint any holes within the wall and so on.

I haven’t truly received round to placing something up on the partitions although. It’s on my to-do listing.

By way of rooms, sure. I might love a bit extra storage.

There may be one cabinet within the toilet that's imagined to be for a washer however has was my junk cabinet. Something that doesn’t have an apparent dwelling will get shoved in there. It’s like Monica’s messy cabinet in Pals.

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - books and lights in a jar
Mima loves residing alone, however the rising value of residing is making her think about a houseshare (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

Being within the centre of city it could get fairly noisy. I stay reverse a pub so there may be all the time some rowdiness on the weekend.

I get woken up at about 5am on Mondays and Thursdays by the violent smashing of glass bottles being collected by the bin males, which might be my greatest pet peeve.

It’s additionally an previous constructing, so wonky flooring and single glazed home windows. My drawers in my room are continually sliding open by themselves and it takes fairly a bit to warmth, so I often simply go for my dry gown and a sizzling water bottle as an alternative of placing the heating on – particularly now!

My contract is up in September and ideally, I might keep right here. That is the eighth place I’ve lived within the final 10 years so it might be good to remain put for some time.

However with the price of residing skyrocketing, I feel I have to weigh up the monetary advantages of residing with another person towards how a lot I like my very own house.

My greatest pal and I've talked about shifting in collectively, which might be an amazing compromise.

Clearly, I might like to personal my very own place finally, however realistically I don’t see that taking place anytime quickly.

I do like the liberty renting provides to up and transfer pretty simply too, so for now it fits me.

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - plants on shelving in living room
There’s a settee behind these cabinets, by the best way (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - plants by tv in living room
These crops are flourishing (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - home office
Mima’s job is completely distant, so she has a house workplace setup (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - plant in shelf
It took Mima some time to make the flat really feel extra homely (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - kitchen
The kitchen (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - wine, gin, ribena in kitchen
A pleasant array of drink choices right here (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - tv in kitchen
Is that a TV? (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - hallway
The partitions are a bit naked (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - the bedroom
Right here’s Mima’s bed room (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - mima getting ready by the mirror
Very properly organised (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent rail of clothes
Is that refined colour-coding we spy? (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - the bathroom
Lastly, the toilet (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Mima, £695 a month for a one-bedroom flat in Folkestone, Kent - toothbrush, mouthwash, hand soap, toothpaste on sink
Two varieties of toothpaste? Two toothbrushes? You spoil us (Image: UkNewsinPictures/Metro.co.uk)

What I Hire is a weekly collection that’s out each Tuesday at 10am.

Verify again subsequent week to have one other nostril round a rented property.


How one can get entangled in What I Hire

What I Hire is Metro.co.uk’s weekly collection that takes you contained in the locations individuals are renting, to offer us all a greater sense of what’s regular and the way a lot we must be paying.

If you happen to fancy collaborating, please e-mail whatirent@metro.co.uk. You’ll have to take photos of your kitchen, lounge, toilet, and bed room, plus a number of pictures of you in your bed room or residing space.

Ensure you get permission out of your housemates! You’ll additionally have to be okay with sharing how a lot you’re paying for lease, as that’s fairly necessary.

We're not simply after the prettiest locations on the market, by the best way. We would like the truth of renting, so in the event you're presently renting a spot you hate, we might like to see that too (and sympathise drastically!).

This text incorporates placements with affiliate hyperlinks.  We could earn a small fee on purchases made via one in every of these hyperlinks on these placements.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post