Andy Murray withdraws from French Open to focus on Wimbledon preparations

Andy Murray
Andy Murray is not going to characteristic at this yr’s French Open (Image: Getty)

Andy Murray has pulled out of this month’s French Open to deal with his preparations for Wimbledon.

The choice comes after the Scot introduced in February his intentions to skip your complete clay-court season and put all his efforts into the grass-court occasions this summer time.

Nonetheless, he modified his thoughts and performed on the Madrid Open final week after receiving a wild card the place the three-time grand-slam champion reached the third spherical after victories over Dominic Thiem and Denis Shapovalov.

Sickness pressured him to withdraw from a mouth-watering encounter with Novak Djokovic within the last-16 however his sturdy displaying in Madrid had led to rumours Murray would play at Roland Garros.

But the 35-year-old has since confirmed he is not going to characteristic on the yr’s second grand-slam in Paris.

As of now, Murray’s preparations for Wimbledon are unsure with the boys’s and ladies’s excursions – the WTA and ATP – contemplating the removing of rating factors for UK-based grass-court occasions in response to British tennis’ choice to exclude Russian and Belarusian gamers from enjoying at their tournaments this summer time.

Andy Murray
Murray hopes to have a powerful grass-court efficiency this yr (Image: Getty)

Murray has already entered the draw for the ATP 250 occasion in Stuttgart in June as he seems to get matches on the grass underneath his belt.

However he was toying with the concept of enjoying within the Surbiton Trophy – a small Challenger match – which begins on the finish of Might.

The 2-time Wimbledon champion is contracted to take part at Queen’s Membership however might additionally determine to characteristic at Eastbourne, per week prior Wimbledon.

On the Garden Tennis Affiliation and Wimbledon’s choice to ban Russian and Belarusian gamers, Murray has indicated he doesn't again the concept.

Earlier this month, he stated: ‘I’m not supportive of gamers getting banned. The steering from the federal government was not useful.

‘My understanding of the steering was that Russians and Belarusians can play in the event that they signal a declaration that they’re in opposition to the conflict and in opposition to the Russian regime.

‘I’m unsure how snug I might really feel if one thing occurred to one of many gamers or their households (consequently). I don’t suppose there’s a proper reply.

‘I've spoken to a few of the Russian gamers. I’ve spoken to a few of the Ukrainian gamers. I really feel actually unhealthy for the gamers who aren’t allowed to play and I get that it'll appear unfair to them.’

.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post