Final 12 months, choreographer, dancer and director Stephen Web page introduced that he was stepping down as creative director of Bangarra Dance Theatre, after 31 years within the job. On Friday night time, Web page was named the recipient of a $50,000 lifetime achievement award, on the Australia Council’s First Nations Arts awards – and it couldn't have come at a extra opportune second.
The descendant of the Nunukul folks and the Mununjali clan of the Yugambeh nation in south-east Queensland, Web page has created greater than two dozen works for Bangarra over the previous three a long time and gained many accolades, together with being named an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO). Now, it's time to take a break.
“I’m not saying I’m going to run away and go and conceal someplace, however I’ll simply should rethink issues. Bangarra is the one payroll I’ve ever recognized,” Web page instructed Guardian Australia. “I’m hitting 57, however I really feel like I've nonetheless bought a lot to inform creatively.”

“I’ve simply been reflecting on my time right here for over 30 years, and I discover [I’m] continually excited about the physique of labor … myself as an artist and my contribution to our nationwide creative panorama.”
Web page is certainly one of a number of main Indigenous Australian artists recognised on the First Nations Arts awards on Friday night time, the place each he and visible artist Future Deacon acquired the $50,000 Crimson Ochre award for lifetime achievement.
Across the similar time Web page took up the creative management of Bangarra, within the early Nineteen Nineties, Deacon started exhibiting in public galleries.
“I left instructing job and was poverty stricken for many years,” the Kuku and Erub/Mer artist mentioned. “[At the time] there appeared to be a lot of non-Indigenous artists then who got here from posh backgrounds, or had married properly.”
Having confronted important well being challenges over the previous three years, Deacon mentioned the $50,000 prize cash would take the stress off, and allow her to chill out and revel in her achievements.

Additionally on Friday, singer-songwriter Emma Donovan acquired the 2022 First Nations Arts and Tradition fellowship. Donovan, who has been a part of the music world since she was seven, mentioned the fellowship will permit her to “like sit again and suppose extra about what I wish to do”. These plans embrace producing a brand new solo album that includes songs for youngsters in conventional language.
“I’ve been on the scene for some time – I’m a 40-year-old Aboriginal girl within the music trade, and I’m nonetheless working” she mentioned.
“Generally I pinch myself, I believe I’m fairly fortunate. However I believe it’s down to only doing the onerous work, protecting it constant. I can say I’ve carried out that through the years.”
Different winners on Friday included Gumbaynggirr and Turkish actor and playwright Brittanie Shipway, and Wiradjuri poet and artist Jazz Cash, who every gained the $20,000 Dreaming award, which goals to assist rising artists below the age of 30 to develop a serious physique of labor.
Wamba Wamba-Scottish playwright and performer Brodie Murray and Yuin soundscape artist Hayden Ryan each gained the $10,000 Rising profession growth award, geared toward serving to artists below 30 with skilled growth.
The First Nations Arts awards, that are aired on NITV, are held on 27 Could to mark the anniversary of the 1967 referendum and the beginning of Nationwide Reconciliation Week.
The widespread thread between all of the recipients, mentioned Franchesca Cubillo, the Australia Council’s government director of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts, is that “the tales they share are key to Australian cultural life and nationwide identification”.
Post a Comment