Can introducing a ‘fake commute’ into your day help productivity when working from home? 

moving image of a woman walking past a window, holding a cup of coffee
Getting out of the home very first thing can assist transition from mattress to workplace (Image: Getty)

The pandemic has modified the way in which that many people work, maybe eternally, with an enormous portion of the inhabitants working from house for over two years now. 

Whereas these of us in a position to perform work from the consolation of our properties are very lucky, and there are various upsides, there’s no denying that the dearth of boundaries, pure routine and real-life contact with colleagues may be laborious to navigate generally. 

However there are many issues you are able to do to maintain your self motivated, productive – and, most significantly, keep sane.

One of the essential is to just be sure you get out of the home and create routines.

So, with that in thoughts, I made a decision to trial constructing in a ‘faux commute’ to my working day every morning, to see the way it impacted my temper, productiveness and basic wellbeing. 

The thought is that I’d rise up every day, bathe, dress and go for a stroll that may act as a alternative for the ‘commute’ a part of my day, giving me a way of routine – and a cause to go away the home. 

This system is sensible, for plenty of causes. 

Marilyn Devonish is a distant working implementation marketing consultant. One of many first issues she at all times shares with staff and employees, when advising them on the way to work successfully from distant areas – together with house – is the necessity for ‘boundaries and the demarcation of areas, and the significance of making a separation of the area each bodily and psychologically’.

She explains that ‘getting dressed for work is sort of a neurological anchor, which alerts to your thoughts that it's time to get to work.’

‘It additionally positively helps to go away the home, even if you happen to simply stroll across the block,’ she tells Metro.co.uk. ‘It's because it might mark the tip of a phase or block of time and depart you feeling extra refreshed as you embark on the following job or job.’ 

A Black woman taking a deep breath
BeIts’ been confirmed that getting out and about within the morning boosts productiveness (Image: Getty Photos/Metro.co.uk)

The identical applies to marking the start of a block of time, or a brand new day.

In essence, it helps you transition from getting off the bed to only going straight into beginning the working day – it provides a way of distance and marks a transition between the 2. 

Productiveness coach Moyra Scott backs this up.

‘Managing transitions properly is a ability that can be utilized to enhance how efficient you might be,’ she says. 

In the course of the pandemic, when working from house, Moyra explains that many individuals found that, with their commute gone, they’d misplaced their time to transition from house to work and again once more.  

‘So, if you happen to discover that you're now working from house, on a regular basis and even a number of the time, it might actually assist to create that point for your self,’ she tells Metro.co.uk.

‘It is sort of a bodily intention setting; “I'm forsaking one state of being and getting into one other”.

‘Morning routines, typically, are a lift to productiveness,’ she says. ‘Actually something you are able to do, to cease and take into consideration what you might be about to do, helps.’

So, with buy-in from the consultants, I made a decision to provide it a go. 

My week of faux commutes

I didn’t sleep properly final evening however I rise up after solely snoozing my alarm twice (a report for me) as I’m excited to strive my new problem, and – surprisingly – filled with enthusiasm for the primary day. 

I bathe, dress into precise garments that aren’t joggers and a hoodie (it’s solely tights and a T-shirt costume however nonetheless, I really feel like a actual particular person) and make myself a flask of tea, to trick myself into considering I’m out and about ordering fancy scorching drinks from cafes – a la the nice previous days. In fact, I might construction my ‘commute’ in order that I can do that for actual however I determine to save lots of myself the cash and see if a home-made drink nonetheless provides me the identical satisfaction.  

I head out and plan to stroll in a loop previous the practice station I used to get into the town centre on daily basis – however as a substitute of getting on, I keep it up and take an exit that leads me alongside a ‘nature path’ (aka a path subsequent to the railway with a lot of overgrown weeds and flowers, nevertheless it’s nicer than strolling on the primary highway). 

I placed on some music – a little bit of Idles to get me pumped up for the day forward – and, it really works. I can really feel the endorphins surging via me and marvel why I haven’t began doing this sooner.

It’s a superb begin to my morning and I really feel very awake and prepared for the day forward. 

I get house, make one other tea, and I’m prepared to start out work at 9. I've a very productive day, significantly within the morning, and get tons ticked off my to do checklist.

I nonetheless exit for a fast stroll at lunchtime, for some contemporary air. Up to now, so good.

image of woman writing in notebook while eating breakfast cereal
A commute makes for an important morning routine (Image: Getty/Metro.co.uk)

I get up this morning seemingly having forgotten how good my early morning ‘commute’ yesterday made me really feel, and I battle to rise up.

It’s drizzly exterior and I nearly contemplate not going however I power myself into the bathe, get my tea made, and head out into the gray. I hearken to a podcast about author’s block in the present day, and really feel like I’m utilizing the time correctly. 

Half manner spherical my newly established loop, I stumble upon an previous buddy who I’ve not seen since earlier than covid. I knew she’d moved close to right here however we’re not tremendous shut so we haven’t met up since. 

Initially, once I spot her, I contemplate averting my eyes, or beginning at my cellphone, to keep away from having to speak to somebody pre-9am – however I shove that thought apart and greet her with a smile. We chat for about ten minutes and agree to fulfill up for a drink someday quickly.

Whether or not it occurs or not stays to be seen nevertheless it’s good to see a well-recognized face and I get a pang for workplace life, the place off-the-cuff chats like these are ten-a-penny. 


Causes to provide a 'faux commute' a go - from Juliet Landau-Pope, productiveness Coach, digital organiser and examine abilities marketing consultant

‘Working from house means you don’t have a boundary between your dwelling area and work area. So, taking a stroll at the beginning of the work day can assist you to create a buffer in your thoughts, a fictional boundary to demarcate “house time” and “work time.” You allow the home after getting dressed and having breakfast and re-enter it prepared for work.

‘A brief stroll outdoor can assist you to clear your head, to declutter your thoughts, at the beginning of the day so that you’ll be capable to focus extra on work once you return.

‘It additionally creates a helpful construction that may be particularly helpful for anybody who works alone and must inspire themselves to get began.

‘Getting outdoor, respiratory contemporary air and being close to nature – noticing bushes, vegetation and grass, if you happen to’re fortunate – can increase your temper and power.

‘For anybody fighting procrastination, bodily motion is an effective way to spice up power and kickstart you into motion. Taking a brief stroll exterior, jogging across the block and even simply strolling to the tip of the highway and again can shift lethargy and carry your temper. 

‘Proof reveals that going for a stroll originally of the day can set you up for a optimistic and productive day at work.’

I get up simply in the present day, take pleasure in my stroll – and even do fifteen minutes of yoga once I get again. Then, in very uncommon scenes, I make myself a smoothie. I’m not a routine particular person and I’m fairly unhealthy for skipping breakfast, and consuming final evening’s leftover tea mid-morning as a substitute.

However it’s like this new routine of leaving the home and getting some contemporary air has actually elevated my motivation and general need to be a bit more healthy in my habits. 

I can 100% discover a rise in power and I’m having fun with having lunch instances to both come out for an additional bonus stroll, or run some errands.

On reflection, I see that I used to be feeling a bit smug yesterday and may need received carried away with myself with the smoothies and yoga.

I stayed up laaaaate final evening binging Ozark and snooze my alarm for a very long time this morning. I rise up and bathe however don’t have sufficient time to finish my full ‘commute’ loop, so I simply go across the block. Nonetheless, I really feel higher for getting out of the home. The contemporary air and a blast of music, or a podcast, is an excellent approach to arrange the day. Plus, I feel the act of getting correctly dressed is de facto serving to with my motivation. 

I do quarter-hour of yoga stretches at lunchtime after which go and full my longer loop.

Have a productive afternoon. Is it all the way down to my faux commute? In all probability not however mentally, I really feel higher and I've a particular readability of thoughts. 

At this time I determine that, because it’s Friday, I’ll deal with myself to a tea and an almond croissant from the cafe down the highway. The croissant is scrumptious, the tea is tea. However the woman who owns the cafe is gorgeous and we have now a pleasant chat about what we’re as much as this weekend, giving me water cooler vibes. 

The solar is shining in the present day and I sit exterior to eat my croissant earlier than finishing my loop. It doesn’t really feel lengthy sufficient however I’m brief on time after my cafe cease, so I've to get in and get logged on.

I begin work feeling energised and in an excellent temper, and sail via the day, earlier than signing off bang on time (uncommon) as I’ve received tickets to a gig tonight and I’m assembly a buddy for some meals earlier than. 

The ‘faux commute’ can keep. Not solely has it seen my steps rise, it completely boosted my temper and presumably my productiveness too. I feel the primary distinction that I’ve seen, although, is my basic sense of wellbeing.

Everyone knows that getting exterior and exercising is nice for psychological well being and I’ve positively seen the advantages of that this week. It’s a strong 10/10 for the faux commute.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post