Gail Porter says she knows when a house is haunted: ‘I started out a sceptic’

Just as she knew her first London home was the property for her, Gail can tell when something's amiss (Picture: Getty / Discovery + / Really UK / Metro.co.uk)
Simply as she knew her first London dwelling was the one, Gail can inform when one thing’s amiss (Image: Getty / Discovery + / Actually UK / Metro.co.uk)

Gail Porter, 51, is a Scottish actress, tv character and is vice-president of The Kids’s Belief, a charity that helps kids with mind accidents.

Her new collection, Spooked Scotland, hits tv screens later this month and sees Gail exploring properties all through her native Scotland with American medium, Chris Fleming. She lives in north-west London.

Inform us in regards to the first dwelling to procure…

I purchased my first property with my ex-husband [Toploader guitarist Dan Hipgrave] once we first obtained married. It was in Belsize Park and I simply completely cherished that home.

I walked within the door and just about put a proposal in as we had been standing within the hallway as a result of, I simply knew after I was standing there, it that was the home for us. It wasn’t grand or fancy however I had a direct reference to the property.

I obtained a extremely robust feeling that it was proper. And proudly owning our personal property was simply essentially the most superior feeling.

Dan stated, “You may’t put a proposal in that fast,” however I simply knew and I stated straight off, “I’m shopping for this home.” It had a beautiful patio backyard and fairly bedrooms. It didn’t want a lot doing to it – simply adorning, portray and beauty work. I cherished it precisely because it was.

What made you select that a part of London?

I can solely say I simply cherished that home. I get fairly emotional even interested by it now. We obtained divorced in 2005 and divorce is pricey so we needed to promote it and, immediately, I hire in Willesden Inexperienced.

Earlier than shopping for that home in Belsize Park, I’d been residing in Soho, which I completely cherished. It was like my non secular dwelling, however the space of Belsize Park additionally drew me in as a result of, though it appears very completely different, it’s all about individuals, isn’t it?

Soho and Belsize Park had been filled with great characters and there was a beautiful sense of group and that’s as necessary as the home itself, don’t you suppose?

Is London dwelling for you now?

I’ve lived right here for years and I’ll in all probability all the time stay right here however I’m initially from Edinburgh, which is a wonderful metropolis.

I nonetheless name that dwelling regardless that I’ve been in London for therefore lengthy now, but it surely’s so costly I can hardly afford to return anymore. I checked out reserving an Airbnb up there final yr and it’s simply gone mad. It's fabulous, although.

How would you describe your excellent day at dwelling?

In my Grinch pyjamas, candles lit, curled up on the couch, watching Higher Name Saul. I’m an actual homebody. I used to have a cat who sadly isn’t right here anymore however was all the time by my facet.

Mandatory Credit: Photo by NEIL HOPE / Rex Features ( 343640d ) GAIL HIPGRAVE AND HUSBAND DAN HIPGRAVE GAIL PORTER AND DAN HIPGRAVE AT OCEAN TERMINAL COMPLEX OPENING, EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND, BRITAIN - 04 OCT 2001
Gail purchased her first dwelling with ex-husband Dan Hipgrave (Image: Neil Hope / Rex Options)

Gail & Chris at the Tron
Catch Gail’s spooky new property present (Image: Discovery Communications / Actually UK)

Inform us in regards to the locations in Spooked Scotland?

I hung out in a great deal of properties throughout Scotland with Chris and he was, in fact, actually open to all of it.

I began out a sceptic although, I inform you, there's something in these homes. You may really feel it and get a way of one thing.

A bit like after I first walked into that first dwelling in Belsize Park and I obtained a way it was the home for me, I knew strolling in these locations there was one thing, a presence or spirit.

The primary episode exhibits me in Brodick Citadel on the Isle of Arran. And once they informed me I used to be staying the evening there I used to be completely freaked out.

I swear to you, I went to mattress in a room with a small lounge connected to it and I shut the door to that room after I went to mattress. Once I wakened, that very same door was large open.

I went out of that place screaming like a loopy, bald, wild girl. I couldn’t get checked out fast sufficient!

I really feel like I’m barely extra in tune with the vitality and spirits you possibly can really feel in homes now from doing that present.

Spooked Scotland is on Fridays on Actually, and accessible to stream on Discovery+.

For the latest property news, features and advice, sign up for Metro's The Key Newsletter
For the most recent property information, options and recommendation, join Metro’s The Key Publication

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post