‘I must continue my journey’ – Deontay Wilder vows to return to boxing after being backed for title shot by Tyson Fury

BOX-USA-WILDER-FURY-WEIGH IN
Wilder intends to return to the ring quickly (Image: Getty)

Deontay Wilder has confirmed his plans to return to the ring, insisting he ‘should proceed his journey’ in boxing.

The previous WBC heavyweight champion has not fought since his crushing defeat to Tyson Fury final October, knocked out within the eleventh spherical of their epic trilogy contest.

Wilder has remained out of the general public eye since. However at a ceremony in his hometown of Tuscaloosa, Alabama the place a statue of his likeness was introduced, the 36-year-old insisted he'll combat once more.

‘I can’t cease proper now. I need to proceed with my journey,” Wilder mentioned. ‘I really like you guys a lot. I can’t finish it like this. This journey’s not over with. I need to proceed my journey.’

Wilder’s outdated foe Fury has repeatedly insisted he's now retired from boxing within the wake of his beautiful knockout win over Dillian Whyte in April.

Tyson Fury v Deontay Wilder
Wilder has not fought since final October’s defeat to Fury (Image: Getty)

Ought to ‘The Gypsy King’ keep on with his promise he'll finally vacate his WBC title.

Regardless of two punishing defeats in his final two fights, Wilder stays the no1 ranked fighter within the governing physique’s rankings and will probably be in line to combat for the belt whether it is made accessible.

Following his win over Whyte, Fury declared Wilder to nonetheless be ‘the second-best heavyweight within the division,’ urging him to take his place in an unification combat towards Oleksandr Usyk or Anthony Joshua.

Fury mentioned: ‘I’d wish to see Deontay Wilder combat whoever [wins Joshua v Usyk II] for it once more.’

In  2015, Wilder grew to become the primary American since Hasim Rahman to win a heavyweight world title after beating Bermane Stiverne.

He went onto defend the belt 10 occasions, profitable 9 of these fights by stoppage as he constructed a fame as essentially the most harmful knockout artist within the division.

.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post