Jamie Demetriou’s year in TV: ‘I’m not shutting the door on Stath Lets Flats’

Jamie Demetriou, 34, began his profession in scholar comedy, performing on the Edinburgh fringe. His TV roles embrace elements in Toast of London, Fleabag and the Apple TV+ sequence The Afterparty, which debuted in 2022. In 2021, the third sequence of his Bafta-winning comedy Stath Lets Flats– about an incompetent letting agent – aired on Channel 4. He stars within the sequence alongside his sister, Natasia Demetriou. Demetriou received the 2022 Bafta for greatest male efficiency in a comedy.

How did it really feel to see Stath Lets Flats get a lot approval for its third run?
I used to be so fearful of the response to sequence three, as a result of I had a very laborious time writing and capturing it, and also you assume that’s going to be conducive to a foul product. The sensation of reduction I had that it wasn’t a catastrophe was overwhelming. As for whether or not it’s the tip of the present, I believe there’s extra to that universe. I’m not shutting the door on it. However I stated I used to be taking a pause, which acquired construed as me taking a profession break. I used to be engaged on the sequence for 10 years, so I’m simply attempting to work out what I need to do subsequent.

Jamie Demetriou with his sister, Natasia, and Christos Stergioglou in Stath Lets Flats
Together with his sister, Natasia Demetriou, and Christos Stergioglou in Stath Lets Flats. Photograph: Jack Barnes/Channel 4

What would you be doing for those who weren’t doing all of your job?
I’d wish to design garments, even only for myself, as a result of my form doesn’t at all times lend itself to the issues I like. I might develop a model known as B, for males with large bums – I’d go on Dragons’ Den and provides them my facet profile.

What present had you gripped over the last 12 months?
Mare of Easttown knocked my socks off. It was some of the morbid issues I’ve ever seen, however it embraced its characters’ flaws in a approach that felt inherently comedic and satisfying, with a great deal of juicy twists and turns.

Who do you watch TV with?
My flatmate, Olly, although he loves a little bit of The Masked Singer. I might by no means watch it by myself, however when he’s round, it rubs off on me.

Signal as much as our Inside Saturday publication for an unique behind-the-scenes have a look at the making of the journal’s greatest options, in addition to a curated listing of our weekly highlights

Have you ever ever been mistaken for anyone else?
After I was beginning out I did vox pops for a late-night TV present. I went to interview this man, and earlier than I’d even stated something he went: “Poor man’s Sacha Baron Cohen.” I instantly broke character.

Who's probably the most well-known particular person in your telephone contacts?
My sister.

Stath Lets Flats is obtainable on All 4. For extra details about the Virgin Media Bafta TV Awards, go to bafta.org

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post