Joe Cullen pleased to ‘shut a few people up’ as he books Premier League Darts Play-Off spot

Joe Cullen
Joe Cullen is into the Premier League Play-Offs on debut (Image: Simon O’Connor/PDC)

Joe Cullen is glad he has proved some doubters incorrect as he booked his spot within the Premier League Play-Offs in his debut season within the event.

The 32-year-old had a crunch recreation with Peter Wright in Newcastle on Thursday evening, beating the world champion 6-4 to safe fourth place within the desk and deny Snakebite a visit to the play-offs.

Cullen earned his spot within the Premier League by profitable the Masters at the beginning of the 12 months and he has proved he deserved it, as he joins Jonny Clayton, Michael van Gerwen and James Wade within the showpiece in Berlin.

The Rockstar is glad he has proven he belongs among the many elite on the oche, shutting a couple of folks up within the course of.

‘I believe I’ve justified my spot within the Premier League, I don’t suppose anybody can argue that now,’ Cullen advised On-line Darts.

‘Not that I care if anybody did argue, but it surely was good to close a couple of folks up.’

On this 12 months’s new format, Cullen gained two Premier League Nights, ending runner-up one other two instances, as he completed the league stage with 14 wins from 28 matches.

Joe Cullen and Peter Wright
Cullen value Wright a spot within the play-offs (Image: Simon O’Connor/PDC)

Leaving Wright, Michael Smith, Gerwyn Value and Gary Anderson behind him within the desk was some achievement on debut, and the Yorkshireman is delighted so as to add some grit to his recreation.

‘I’m actually happy with how I’ve gained video games this 12 months,’ he mentioned. ‘Folks discuss B and C video games, I believe there’s been no in between with me this 12 months, I’ve both been half-decent or horrible.

‘I appear to have discovered a method to win. I’ve proven myself that I’ve bought the gritty facet as effectively, which I by no means knew I had.

‘Till you do it in TV tournaments, you don’t actually know that you just’ve bought it. You are able to do it on board 13 in Barnsley Metrodome and nobody sees

‘To show you are able to do it on TV, grind outcomes when it’s not going your method.

‘I believe I’ve carried out it within the Premier League, it’s given me a distinct perspective on my recreation, I do know I’ve bought that facet as effectively, once I by no means knew I had it.’

Cullen will tackle his good pal Clayton within the semi-finals in Berlin on 13 June and is wanting ahead to taking to the massive stage once more.

Till profitable the Masters, the Rockstar had by no means fairly carried out sufficient to ebook a Premier League spot prior to now, however he at all times felt that he belonged within the occasion which lends itself to the showman of the oche.

‘I’ve at all times thought that I’m made for the Premier League,’ he mentioned.

‘With out being disrespectful to different gamers, there’s gamers which are cracking gamers however they’re boring. They’re nice gamers however they’re boring.

‘I believe I convey a little bit little bit of one thing totally different to the Premier League, I’ve bought a little bit of character about me and I believe that’s shone by way of. Clearly attending to the play-offs, I believe I’ve discovered my spot.’

Michael Smith
Michael Smith completed the league stage in sixth (Image: Simon O’Connor/PDC)

Whereas Cullen booked fourth spot, it was Smith who gained the evening in Newcastle, beating Clayton 6-3 within the ultimate to safe his first, and solely, triumph of the season.

‘To lastly get that win and recover from the road was large tonight. Sadly I didn’t make the highest 4, however I ended on a excessive and a optimistic,’ mentioned Smith.

‘It was solely me on zero wins within the Premier League, so I used to be enjoying for that, and fortunately sufficient I fell over the road towards Jonny.’

.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post