Man shuns technology and rides penny-farthing to the shops to live like a Victorian

pictures of a man who lives like a victorian
‘Most days you’ll discover me in a tweed swimsuit, cravat and a high or bowler hat’ (Image: Caters)

Meet Steven Payne, the person who likes to stay like a Victorian, preferring the magnificence and ease of the period.

Steven, from Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, attire in Victorian-inspired outfits, together with tweed fits and high hats, and doesn’t have any fashionable devices in his home.

The 59-year-old defined that he began carrying interval garb as a result of it felt extra elegant, and loves using his penny-farthing to nip to the store or for a visit to the cinema.

He says: ‘I gown extra formally than most individuals do within the modern-day. I discover dressing like this way more comfy.

‘I solely personal one pair of denims and one t-shirt in case I'm ever in a state of affairs the place I’d have to put on such objects of clothes.

‘Most days you’ll discover me in a tweed swimsuit, cravat and a high or bowler hat.

‘I additionally journey my penny-farthing anyplace that’s inside a few 15-mile radius.

‘I cycle again from the outlets with a bag of buying on every handlebar, I journey it to the cinema and when visiting a good friend and I additionally get pleasure from simply going out for a journey on it.

‘I purchased my penny farting seven years in the past, and it's primarily based on a late 1870s mannequin.

‘The primary time I attempted to journey it, I fell off and broke my leg.

‘It’s 12ft tall, and it then took me six weeks to cease being fearful of using it on the highway.’

 Steven riding his penny-farthing
It’s not straightforward to study to journey these issues (Image: William Lailey/Caters Information)

Steven Payne, from Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire goes shopping in full victorian attire
‘I desire the simplicity, magnificence and slower tempo of life’ (Image: William Lailey/Caters Information)

The penny-farthing doesn’t have any breaks, gears and even air within the tyres, with Steven saying it’s been a tough factor to study to journey.

Steven, who describes himself as a gentleman adventurer, provides: ‘It was all trial and error studying to journey the penny-farthing.

‘It is vitally laborious to cease and get off of it as a result of there aren’t any breaks, so it's a must to leap off sideways.

‘Going out on the highway makes it a lot scarier as a result of there’s different visitors, visitors lights and pedestrians, so it's a must to have the strategy of with the ability to dismount rapidly and safely.

Steven Payne, from Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, reading the old papers at his home
Steven is an enormous historical past fan (Image: William Lailey/Caters Information)

Steven in one of his Victorian-inspired suits
‘These days, some individuals seem like they've fallen off the bed and right into a pile of previous garments’ (Image: William Lailey/Caters Information)

‘I desire the simplicity, magnificence and slower tempo of life within the Victorian period.

‘Earlier than the web existed, we had been continually related to every thing and everybody and I don’t significantly like the way in which that society has gone since then.

‘Every thing is immediately accessible and in your face. I discover it very intrusive.

‘Individuals additionally appear to be continually accessible too as a consequence of telephones and social media. I've a cellular for emergencies and I solely test it as soon as on the finish of every day.

‘I’ve additionally by no means owned a tv.’

Steven has his Victorian-inspired fits made by corporations that make traditionally correct clothes for TV and movie productions.

He says: ‘I pop to the Co-op in my bowler hats and if I am going out within the evenings, I gown up much more formally as they might within the 1870s.

‘I like the trouble that they made with the garments that they wore and the care taken of their look.

‘These days, some individuals seem like they've fallen off the bed and right into a pile of previous garments. Individuals don’t have a tendency to decorate as good now.

‘I prefer to additionally use my way of life as a method of spreading some positivity, in addition to sharing some traditionally legitimate data.’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post