
It was a quiet day in January when actor Cat White acquired a WhatsApp message that irrevocably modified her life.
It was a message despatched to a gaggle of pals that was so surprising, and so unbelievable that Cat, 27, felt her physique go bodily ‘numb’ upon studying it.
The information was that one in all her shut pals from drama faculty, Simon, had taken his life – inflicting her to expertise a visceral emotional response.
‘I can recall all of the tiny particulars of that day,’ she tells Metro.co.uk. ‘I bear in mind being so conscious of my precise environment when that message got here by means of. I do know the precise time – it was simply gone 11am. For the longest time I couldn’t take it in. I used to be on this bizarre, numb limbo.
‘Sooner or later, I simply actually broke down. It was such, such a shock. There aren't any phrases for the way I felt.’
Like many individuals, Simon had not been open about his psychological well being struggles, says Cat, as an alternative he disguised his troubles with humour and heat.
‘We met at drama faculty,’ she explains. ‘He was positively the joker of the category. Simon was the humorous one, he would all the time be within the nook making sarcastic feedback. He was an unbelievable musician and artist.

‘However he was a very light soul, so delicate and somebody you could possibly go to for those who had something you wanted to speak about. It felt like he would all the time pay attention and actually care about what he needed to say.’
Whereas Cat recurrently spoke to Simon by means of telephone calls, WhatsApp and Zoom, she final noticed him in particular person in December 2019, a yr and a month earlier than he took his personal life in January final yr.
‘I believe quite a lot of us in our friendship group saved leaping again to once we final spoke to him,’ Cat remembers. ‘We have been asking ourselves whether or not we had checked in sufficient. However then I’d additionally say he wasn’t somebody that by no means felt or appeared unwell.’
Remembering how she felt within the aftermath of her good friend’s dying, Cat says, ‘At first, I couldn’t really feel like I may even breathe. I simply couldn’t do something.
‘I didn’t know tips on how to discuss to somebody about it or tips on how to deal with it. My household have been so frightened about me and everybody needed to ensure I used to be okay, and I simply couldn’t discover the phrases. The loss gave the impression to be past all comprehension.

‘I didn’t need to be alive anymore after listening to about Simon’s suicide. I later came upon that the best statistics from individuals who take their very own life is somebody who misplaced somebody to suicide – which is so surprising in a approach since you’d suppose somebody would by no means do this figuring out how a lot it hurts everybody you left behind. However I completely get it, as a result of it places every thing in perspective.
‘You’re so younger, you suppose how can somebody with every thing to stay for not need to be right here anymore? It makes you consider your individual life in that approach.’
Cat explains that she and her friendship group additionally struggled to specific their grief to 1 one other adequately.
PAPYRUS Prevention for Younger Suicide
For sensible, confidential suicide prevention assist and recommendation please contact PAPYRUS HOPELINEUK on 0800 068 4141, textual content 07860 039967 or e mail pat@papyrus-uk.org
‘I felt like I may sort-of communicate to pals that knew Simon, however as everybody was going by means of their very own grieving course of, I felt like I didn’t need to be a burden on anybody at the moment,’ she admits. ‘It was such a bizarre and darkish time. As we have been in lockdown, we have been having nightly Zoom calls, which may final for hours the place no-one says something. It was only a actually bizarre and darkish time for us all.’
After an ongoing wrestle to understand the gravity of her good friend’s dying, Cat determined to achieve out to PAPYRUS Prevention of Younger Suicide, a charity Simon’s mother and father had chosen to lift funds for, to try to come to phrases along with her loss.

‘PAPYRUS has simply such an ethos of hope,’ she explains. ‘I believe that was the opposite factor I used to be combating, I felt so alone and I didn’t know who else this had occurred to.
‘It was one thing about feeling related to different individuals who had been there after which come out the opposite finish and lived to inform the story. Their podcast referred to as HOPECAST actually helped. In addition they have their HOPELINEUK the place you may simply ring and communicate to somebody, which I knew I wanted.
‘Whereas at first I simply needed to get some help from them, I quickly realised that I needed to lift cash for the charity too,’ provides Cat. ‘I didn’t know what it could appear like, however I simply desperately needed to be related with their work.’
Cat made the choice to do one thing ‘drastic’: chilly water swimming. ‘It grew to become this actually therapeutic factor and I turned my experiences into a brief movie titled Fifty-4 Days,’ she says. ‘In it I actually concentrate on what overwhelming grief seems to be like, however there’s additionally concentrate on therapeutic and a woman who begins chilly water swimming, as a result of that for me saved my life.

‘I need my movie to be about hope and supporting one another,’ she provides. ‘I need it to be useful for these left behind.’
Since then, not solely have PAPYRUS change into an official accomplice of her movie mission, however Cat has additionally change into an envoy for the charity and can be becoming a member of our Metro.co.uk Lifeline problem in July this yr, which entails climbing England’s highest mountain, Scafell Pike, at night time.
She tells Metro.co.uk that she believes the climb, which is to lift funds for PAPYRUS, will assist along with her grieving course of.

‘I believe it sounds so inspiring,’ says Cat. ‘Arriving on the prime of the mountain because the solar rises, it looks like such an attractive metaphor. It makes me emotional even serious about it. However I believe there’s one thing highly effective about all of us climbing collectively in help of PAPYRUS and doing this problem.
‘Being bodily works for me by way of getting out of my very own head, so I’m actually enthusiastic about that, and I believe it appears like an unbelievable problem. It feels hopeful, like that is going to be a very vital a part of my grief journey.’
How one can assist PAPYRUS
Be part of us on our wonderful Metro.co.uk Lifeline problem and assist increase funds for PAPYRUS Prevention of Younger Suicide.
Simply earlier than midnight on Saturday 2 July, 2022, we'll be heading off into the darkish sky to climb England's highest mountain, Scafell Pike within the Lake District, for an unforgettable fundraising journey.
Though our journey will begin at night time, to replicate the important work the charity does in serving to households and younger individuals discover mild throughout their darkest instances, it would end simply in time for us to catch the solar rise throughout the gorgeous surroundings.
Registration prices £39 and fundraisers need to pledge to lift a miminum of £325 for PAPYRUS.
Locations can be restricted, so to participate enroll right here.
Alongside her work with PAPYRUS, Cat has to juggle her appearing profession (not too long ago starring in Ten Per Cent, the British model of Name My Agent!) and her work with the UN, the place she works as a gender advisor.
Having additionally made Forbes Listing of 30 Below 30 this yr for her work along with her manufacturing firm, Kusini Productions – which goals to champion the voices of Black ladies and women – Cat acknowledges she has so much on her plate.
Nevertheless, as somebody who now works as an advocate for psychological well being consciousness, she is aware of she must take trip for herself.
‘Burn out is actual and I’m having a number of moments the place I believed, okay, I'm near capability and I believe that’s one thing I would like to keep in mind with my work with PAPYRUS,’ she explains. ‘I don’t need to say care for your self after I don’t do it myself.
‘It’s so vital to take time for your self. Swimming and operating are my pleased locations. I have to follow what I preach.’
METRO.CO.UK LIFELINE 2022
This yr sees the return of our sensible charity marketing campaign: Metro.co.uk Lifeline.
Our intention is easy - to lift as a lot cash as potential for charity with YOUR assist.
For 2022 now we have chosen to help PAPYRUS Prevention of Younger Suicide, an important organisation that works exhausting to cut back the variety of younger individuals who take their very own lives.
In addition to sharing their story to assist increase consciousness, readers, charity supporters and celebrities may also be taking up England’s highest mountain, Scafell Pike, at night time on July 2, 2022.
Click on right here to seek out out extra and enroll.
To make a donation, click on right here.
Post a Comment