My date turned up late, sweaty and in his running bib after just finishing a 10km race

First impressions depend proper? 

As a girl of an age (54 to be exact) I've at all times been an individual who takes care and delight in her look – though, perhaps lockdown was a little bit of an exception, with fitness center gear worn most days of the week.

So, after I registered for an web courting web site or two in 2018, one of many first issues I seen was how scruffy some males may be. It’s a particular swipe left from me in the event that they don’t a minimum of put a good image up of themselves. 

I used to be about two weeks into my new ‘swipe life’ after I got here throughout ‘M’ – that’s what I’ll name him. 

I bear in mind the very second I noticed him; he regarded tanned, very sensible and had a complete profile, which led me to consider he was significantly in search of the ladies of his goals. 

M took some time to reply a few of my messages initially, and appeared very busy at occasions. I used to be a bit delay – it solely takes two seconds to ship a fast message and even an emoji. 

However then, out of the blue, he began to slip into my inbox very commonly – often a couple of occasions a day. He instructed me all about his profession and I discovered that he’d had some very fascinating jobs, together with working as a military medic, a college instructor, and educating first assist. 

Claire
I hadn’t fairly realised at that time simply how a lot of a precedence operating took in his life (Image: Claire Hattrick)

He was additionally a eager runner and raised plenty of cash for charity – all of this stuff ticked plenty of packing containers for me. He appeared form, giving, considerate, chatty and got here throughout as actually good enjoyable. 

I hadn’t fairly realised at that time simply how a lot of a precedence operating took in his life. 

M requested a couple of occasions if we may meet up, earlier than I lastly agreed, after feeling like I had given it sufficient time to know if he was real or not. I didn’t suppose one meet up would harm.

We had organized to fulfill mid-morning – the concept was to have a espresso and, if we bought on effectively, keep for lunch. I bought up fairly early to verify I had time to look my finest, after planning what I used to be going to put on.

Pleased with how I regarded, I left early and had a pleasant informal drive via the countryside to the stunning nation pub we had organized to fulfill at. I arrived 10 minutes early, sat within the automotive for 5 minutes, after which determined to go inside to attend. 

I despatched M a message to let him know that I had arrived however had nothing again. I assumed he was most likely driving and didn’t suppose an excessive amount of about it. 

I went in, ordered a drink and sat down by the doorway so I may see him when he lastly arrived. I waited and waited and waited, however 20 minutes later I’d nonetheless had no textual content or name. I gave it one other 5 minutes then messaged to ask the place he was. Once more, no reply. 

Then, abruptly, there was a little bit of a commotion exterior the door and I may see a person operating into the pub whereas peeling off a quantity on his T-shirt.

Pink confronted and sweating profusely, he arrived at my desk saying:‘Sorry I’m late, the race was a 10k and never 5k – it was flip up like this, or by no means!’ 

It appeared that M had scheduled a 10K race, ending on the similar time our date was supposed to begin. 

I feel the look of horror and disgust on my face stated all of it. He completely stank of sweat and, when he leaned in to kiss me on the cheek, I moved backwards to dodge him. 

I used to be set on leaving immediately however he insisted we had a drink. I completed mine and instructed him I wasn’t impressed that he’d turned up wanting the state he did. 

He spent half the time we had been there apologising

He brought on such a fuss when he arrived that everybody within the pub was taking a look at us all through the entire date, and I simply wished to depart. 

I thanked him for the drink and stated I hoped if he met anybody once more, he can be extra organised along with his diary.  

After I left he messaged to say he would like to see me once more – however as I had spent too lengthy preparing the primary time, I wasn’t going to do it once more. I instructed him as such. 

It was impolite and never the best way I might ever have handled anybody. He may jog on.

To learn extra from Claire about youngsters, the menopause and life recommendation, go to her weblog at: clipboardclaire.com


So, How Did It Go?

So, How Did It Go? is a weekly Metro.co.uk sequence that can make you cringe with second-hand embarrassment or ooze with jealousy as individuals share their worst and finest date tales.

Need to spill the beans about your personal awkward encounter or love story? Contact jess.austin@metro.co.uk


Rush Hour Crush - love (effectively, lust) is throughout us

Go to Metro's Rush Hour Crush on-line each weekday at 4:30pm.

Inform us about your Rush Hour Crush by submitting them right here, and you would see your message printed on the location.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post