My ex and I argue over my time with our daughter. How can I make things better?

I've been divorced for eight years and my daughter, who's 10, lives along with her mum. I normally see her each different weekend. I say “normally”, as a result of my daughter’s timetable could be very a lot pushed by her mom and the time with me is a “slot in”. It has been like this for 4 years. My ex and I've each moved on to new relationships.

There have been events the place my ex and I argue concerning the time my daughter will get to spend with me. My daughter will name and inform me that she desires to do one thing else (go to a celebration, say) on a weekend that she had been presupposed to spend with me. When my ex and I argue, this understandably upsets my daughter, and I feel she feels conflicted over which mother or father to help.

When my daughter is with me we have nice enjoyable and I worth the father-daughter time: like most 10-year-olds she talks lots, tells me her tales. I lately noticed her carry out at college (my ex attended as nicely) and afterwards, I waited for her to return out. When she did she very a lot acted as if I used to be a stranger, and behaving within the reverse approach to how she does when she is at dwelling with me. She appears to act like that solely when her mom is round; the final time was when my daughter invited me to a college truthful.

Is that this regular for youngsters with divorced mother and father? How can I strategy this behaviour with my daughter?

It’s nice when visiting preparations may be agreed on informally (ie with out going to court docket) however this does depart them open to interpretation, and abuse. What modified 4 years in the past to affect in your time together with your daughter?

Youngsters do grow to be extra self-conscious as they become old (this course of peaks in adolescence) and ignoring mother and father is pretty widespread, nevertheless upsetting. Nevertheless, I see that is about greater than that.

When was the final time you and your ex sat down and calmly mentioned how usually you see your daughter, somewhat than ready till it’s an argument that will be upsetting for all involved, however particularly your daughter? After all as she will get older, she has different issues to do and her focus shifts from mother and father to buddies, nevertheless it’s necessary that visits are mentioned and a few guidelines agreed upon.

Possibly the following time your daughter can’t be with you you can also make certain your time collectively is rearranged. Would household mediation (familymediationcouncil.org.uk) assist for those who and your ex discover it arduous to speak?

Household psychotherapist John Cavanagh sees this form of scenario lots, and he felt your daughter could also be combating divided loyalties: “She could also be questioning how one can divide her time so she’s truthful to you and her mum, and it might really feel simpler spending time along with her mum as she lives along with her.”

Cavanagh additionally thought your daughter may be making an attempt to not upset both of you, a troublesome name for a kid. He additionally questioned if college capabilities had been a selected scenario the place your daughter isn’t “certain how one can alter her behaviour if she’s solely used to seeing one mother or father [at a time]”. Does she see you each of collectively very a lot? Wouldn't it be potential for the three of you – and even the 5 of you, together with your new companions – to spend time collectively so your daughter will get used to seeing her mother or father collectively, as a substitute of 1 or the opposite?

Cavanagh agreed that one other dialog about visits is so as. He additionally instructed making an attempt to restore your relationship together with your ex if it's got difficult, as a result of that can make “having these troublesome conversations simpler”.

Sadly numerous separated mother and father use their youngsters as forex, somewhat than engaged on their relationship as separated mother and father to allow them to co-parent successfully.

It’s nice that you simply and your daughter take to each other when you find yourself collectively. This may be a great time to speak about what she wants, what she finds troublesome concerning the association and work out a approach to attempt to overcome these difficulties. Don’t make it about you: don’t say issues like “Daddy will get upset when …” however “that seemed like a troublesome scenario for you; what did you want in that second?” Don’t count on prompt solutions, she’s solely 10, however placing her wants and emotions first shall be a reduction for her. And nevertheless tempting that is, don’t criticise her mum: youngsters have a extremely robust sense of justice and having one mother or father “vent” concerning the different places them in an unimaginable scenario.

Each week Annalisa Barbieri addresses a family-related downside despatched in by a reader. If you want recommendation from Annalisa on a household matter, please ship your downside to ask.annalisa@theguardian.com. Annalisa regrets she can't enter into private correspondence. Submissions are topic to our phrases and situations.

Feedback on this piece are premoderated to make sure the dialogue stays on the matters raised by the article. Please bear in mind that there could also be a brief delay in feedback showing on the positioning.

Conversations With Annalisa Barbieri, collection 2, is out there right here.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post