Ten years of the Wales Coast Path: a walk around the Llŷn peninsula

Porth Neigwl seashore, between the craggy headlands of Mynydd Rhiw and Mynydd Cilan on the finish of north Wales’s Llŷn peninsula, is called Hell’s Mouth, as a result of locals as soon as used its tough waters as a “trapping bay”, luring ships into it then murdering their crews and stealing their cargo. I really feel fairly secure there right this moment, although, as I climb over grassy dunes and throughout the smooth clifftops of boulder clay, remnants of the final ice age.

North Wales map

I’m strolling across the peninsula on one of many lesser-known sections of the Wales Coast Path – which celebrates its tenth anniversary this 12 months – basing myself within the fishing village of Aberdaron.

Wales was the primary nation to create a strolling route round its total shoreline – 870 miles starting close to Chester and main right down to Chepstow. The trail, which opened in Could 2012, passes by means of 16 native authorities and two nationwide parks and is a lifeline for native communities, with walkers visiting the various unbiased outlets, accommodations pubs and eating places alongside the shoreline. Mark Drakeford, the Welsh first minister, known as it “one of many crowning glories of Wales”.

To finish the route in a single go would imply greater than 10,000 metres of ascent and descent – just a little greater than the peak of Everest – and would take round three months. Few have managed this feat, although Sarah Williams, host of the Powerful Lady podcast, is hoping to complete the circuit in 50 days.

A lane on the Llŷn peninsula.
A lane on the Llŷn peninsula. Photograph: Go to Wales

Having no such ambitions, I make my leisurely method to the north-western fringe of Porth Neigwl and the Nationwide Belief-owned Plas yn Rhiw, a Seventeenth-century manor home with views throughout Cardigan Bay. I stroll by means of a maze of magnolias, camellias and daffodils within the higher woodland, and primroses by the millpond. Within the twentieth century, the home was rescued from neglect and lovingly restored by three environmentally minded sisters, the Keatings, who left rooms lavishly adorned with Dutch mahogany, nice Japanese woodcuts and Viennese vases.

From the home, I hike on in the direction of 177-metre Penarfynydd hill, passing the Nant y Gadwen manganese mine, the secluded cove of Porth Ysgo, and the rocky headland of Trwyn y Penrhyn on my method to Aberdaron, the place I settle into the Ship Lodge (doubles from £90 B&B).

I'm woken by the sound of seagulls and set off on a slight detour, boarding the every day boat journey to the holy island of Bardsey from Porth Meudwy, a mile or so around the bay. That is an historic pilgrimage route: within the early center ages, three pilgrimages to Bardsey, “Isle of 20,000 Saints”, have been mentioned to equal one to Rome. We bounce throughout the uneven waves of Bardsey Sound, recognizing Risso’s dolphins and porpoises earlier than touchdown to a welcoming committee of practically 200 Atlantic gray seals, barking and lapping up the solar on the rocky shore.

The lighthouse on Bardsey Island.
The lighthouse on Bardsey Island. Photograph: Michael McKee/Alamy

Bardsey is a chosen Particular Space of Conservation and Particular Safety Space, and sits on a key migratory route for birds together with choughs, oystercatchers, peregrine falcons, gannets and razorbills. It’s additionally the positioning of the ruined Saint Mary’s Abbey, and a 167-metre peak, Mynydd Enlli, which I climb by means of shrouds of mist earlier than heading right down to Bardsey Lighthouse, the tallest square-towered lighthouse within the UK.

Again at Porth Meudwy, I observe the coastal path to Porth Felen, nearly on the finish of the peninsula, and surrounded by wildflowers from thrift to rockrose, sea squill and campion. I scramble down the cliffs to take the stepping stones to Saint Mary’s properly, the place I sip its recent, therapeutic waters earlier than returning to the Ship for a not-so-holy glass of merlot.

Lewis Nunn found Aberdaron made an excellent base for his walks
Lewis Nunn discovered Aberdaron made a wonderful base for his walks. Photograph: Realimage/Alamy

Subsequent morning, I stroll north throughout the peninsula to Porthor, recognized for its squeaky “whistling” sands and on to Porth Iago Seaside, a sandy cove the place native fishers catch bass. On the fishing village of Porthdinllaen, the waters lap towards stout stone homes and pints are pulled within the Ty Coch Inn, proper on the seashore. I jump over rock swimming pools and head for the clifftops of Nefyn, nudging down a steep path to a valley enclosing Nant Gwrtheyrn, a former quarry village that’s now dwelling to the Nationwide Welsh Language and Heritage centre.

I make one other little diversion throughout boggy floor to the iron age hillfort of Tre’r Ceiri (city of giants), which affords sweeping views over the Isle of Anglesey. I nonetheless have 14 miles to go earlier than ending my stroll at Caernarfon Fort. When the Wales Coast Path was first opened in 2012, walkers have been invited to “uncover the form of a nation”. And in a current interview celebrating the anniversary, Paddy Dillon, who wrote the guidebook to the route, mentioned: “Fairly other than simply clocking off the miles alongside the coast, I might say to anyone you'll want to take within the historical past and heritage as you’re travelling.”
Journey and lodging have been offered by Go to Wales and Wales Coast Path. Nationwide Rail has advance tickets from London to Bangor from £32 every approach.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post