The Big Questions: Josh Widdicombe on being pied by Caitlyn Jenner, the cancel culture myth, and why he’s far cooler than people realise

The comic has had a glistening profession on various the nation’s most treasured panel reveals, together with The Final Leg with Adam Hills and Alex Brooker, and Mock The Week.

His newest sequence of Hypothetical with co-star and fellow comedian James Acaster has simply been launched on Dave, and the 39-year-old can be protecting himself busy together with his podcast Parenting Hell, which he co-hosts with Rob Beckett.

Amid his busy schedule, Josh sat down with us to speak all issues Hypothetical, how he was as soon as pied by Caitlyn Jenner, and the ‘fantasy’ that's cancel tradition.

It was beautiful to return to doing the TV present in type of the way in which it was meant to be, with folks within the viewers. Hypothetical actually works off the power of the viewers and is about being within the second and being within the room, so it was so good to have the viewers again.

Hypothetical - Series 4 Picture Shows: James Acaster and Josh Widdicombe - Please note during filming for series four of Hypothetical in January 2022 cast and crew adhered to COVID-19 government guidelines, including social distancing on set
Josh’s present Hypothetical has simply launched sequence 4 on Dave (Image: Dave)

We’ve received so many nice friends this sequence, partly as a result of folks wish to work once more. It’s the best sequence to guide, everybody desires to be out working so it’s been actually good enjoyable.

Rosie Jones and Masie Adam are among the many friends, you then’ve received legends of comedy that we’ve at all times wished to get on, like Frank Skinner or Invoice Bailey or Ross Noble.

We have been allowed to reference Covid which was good, as a result of final time we weren’t allowed to reference it. They’ve now made the choice that persons are going to recollect Covid and it’s a reference that individuals will know for the following 50 years.

We’ve booked so many this sequence that we’ve ticked off lots of people that we wished to guide. I typically don’t know a variety of these new comics, you guide them and it’s typically the primary time you’ve seen them.

Hypothetical
Josh, who co-created the present, stars alongside James Acaster (Image: Dave)

For instance, once we had Josh Pugh, it was just like the first-ever factor he’d achieved on TV and he was like “I simply had make-up placed on me for the primary time!”

I like that, he was actually excited. He was sensible. You go, watching these folks that you simply’ve booked and don’t actually know turn into these huge stars, like Maisie, it’s superb and thrilling.

It’s such an incredible profession to have and what's so good about it's that you simply’re allowed to take action many various issues, so that you don’t get bored. You are able to do stand-up someday, you are able to do a panel present the following day, and you are able to do a podcast.

Clearly, that’s a extremely fortunate factor as a comic, folks suppose you are able to do different issues for which you're completely underqualified.

Josh Widdicombe
Josh burdened that life as a comic isn't boring (Image: Getty)

I believe the weirdest factor about comedy is that it's most troublesome at the beginning as a result of you aren't good at stand-up and the gigs are like 4 folks in a pub.

The extra you get to do it, the higher the audiences get as a result of there are extra of them and so they all wish to see you, and the higher you get at stand-up, so it’s much less and fewer of a problem in a bizarre manner.

We had Caitlyn Jenner on The Final Leg and he or she didn’t realise that I used to be on the present. I keep in mind assembly her within the make-up room beforehand and he or she was very well mannered and really good, however she clearly thought I used to be a runner on the present or a researcher.

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA - MARCH 27: Caitlyn Jenner attends Elton John AIDS Foundation's 30th Annual Academy Awards Viewing Party on March 27, 2022 in West Hollywood, California. (Photo by Leon Bennett/Getty Images)
Josh was as soon as pied by Caitlyn Jenner on The Final Leg (Image: Getty)

After which when she walked out onto the present there was me and Alex simply sat there on the couch and he or she was like, “who're these guys?”.

Clearly, she had by no means seen the present earlier than and had no thought I used to be on it. Have you learnt what, honest sufficient. She shouldn’t have watched the Final Leg. What a bizarre factor it could have been if she had seen it.

I believe I’m fortunate within the sense that I’m not an edgy comic. The issues I speak about and the issues I’m concerned about are so mundane that I’m not able the place it [censorship] comes up a lot.

So, on Hypothetical, I’m by no means going to say something that's going to be problematic as a result of we’re not speaking about actual life, I suppose. I believe I completely agree that cancel tradition is this sort of fantasy. So many individuals who say they’ve been cancelled are saying it from a place of…you’re simply saying this from on TV, how is that this working?

Editorial use only Mandatory Credit: Photo by Ken McKay/ITV/REX/Shutterstock (12942102l) Josh Widdicombe 'Lorraine' TV show, London, UK - 16 May 2022
Josh doesn’t take into account himself to be an ‘edgy’ comic (Image: Rex)

I believe if you happen to say one thing that upsets folks, some folks appear to be pathologically unable to confess that possibly they need to rethink what they’ve stated, and truly, possibly there’s power in going ‘I ought to have stated that’ and correcting your self and apologising.

The issue with me, is I’m so pathologically determined to be preferred that I might apologise in any scenario. I'll apologise the second I believe somebody’s offended, even when they hadn’t replied to a textual content message.

Will Smith, right, hits presenter Chris Rock on stage while presenting the award for best documentary feature at the Oscars on Sunday, March 27, 2022, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello) - 10658627
Josh was gutted that The Final Leg wasn’t on when the Oscars drama kicked off (Image: AP)

That’s the rationale I try to get out of going to these occasions. Not that I’ve ever been invited to the Oscars, however I’ve received no real interest in being at these issues.

I believe the Will Smith occasion is the best instance in my lifetime of issues that occur and also you’re gutted that The Final Leg isn’t on. There’s no manner we wouldn’t have had each of us hitting Adam [Hills] and now I don’t get to do it and when it comes again it will likely be too outdated.

I believe I in all probability am far cooler than folks realise. I dwell in east London and I don’t suppose folks realise that. They suppose I’m a sq., however truly, I’ve received much more edge than I’m given credit score for once I’m doing panel reveals.

I used to be voted the second-worst dressed man by GQ journal, that's unfair, and I'm residing my life to show that round. Admittedly, I’m in a soccer shirt and shorts and strolling round my home in slippers, however that’s a foul day.


Josh Widdicombe's weekend

Sometimes I’ll be gigging which implies I’ll be on a practice to Crewe however normally I’ll simply parenting. I’ll be taking my daughter swimming or telling her to observe much less episodes of Hey Duggee, however in my coronary heart considering, properly it does enable me to be on my cellphone within the kitchen.

I’m up at 7am if I’m fortunate, which is terrible after The Final Leg as a result of it airs on Fridays and I’m not normally again till 1am. I begin the weekend feeling tough, not as a result of I’ve received a hangover, however as a result of I’ve been engaged on a Friday. The considered sleeping in on a weekend is out of the query.

We simply received a brand new espresso store close to us and the pastries are so costly we solely go as soon as per week. I’m speaking £5.50 for a pastry. That's scandalous isn’t it? I can’t inform you how good they're, they’ve received us over a barrel. They offered out of sizzling cross buns by 10am final weekend. They do a cheese and marmite swirl that's out of this world.

I’m so unhealthy at watching issues as a result of we go to mattress at about 9.30pm as a result of we’ve been up so early. We’ve been working by Succession for the previous 18 months at about one episode per week. I not too long ago received Disney Plus, not as a result of I’m a very good dad, however as a result of I wish to watch Get Again.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post