What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex: Debs and Gus the dog in the living room
Meet Debs, who rents a two-bedroom home along with her canine, Gus (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

Fancy looking inside somebody’s dwelling and seeing how they’ve made it their very own?

What I Lease is our sequence that permits you to do exactly that.

Every week we chat to somebody about their renting expertise and nostril round their interiors.

Final time, we have been in Oxford with Liz and Stephen, who pay £1,250 a month for his or her two-bedroom home.

Right this moment we’re in one other two-bed home, however in Colchester, Essex, with Debs, 41, and her canine, Gus.

Debs is a digital creator who has lived in Colchester since 2004, having moved over from her dwelling city of Bury, Lancashire, then began renting after promoting her marital dwelling following a divorce in 2019. 

Right here’s what she rents.

I pay £870 a month for hire. Payments have clearly all simply gone up. Council tax is round £127 per 30 days and possibly round £200 for every thing else.

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex: debs in the dining area
Debs began renting after promoting a property following a divorce (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

A home with two bedrooms, one full toilet and a bathroom downstairs.

Downstairs is an open plan residing/eating room with a aspect examine/storage room after which a separate kitchen by means of glass doorways.

It additionally has a small backyard, with use of an even bigger a part of grass behind the property too and a driveway for 2 vehicles.

Sure. It’s such a stunning home that was a reasonably clean canvas and various storage, like built-in wardrobes within the bedrooms and one other cabinet with a window that I exploit as a magnificence room.

My landlords are pretty. I hire by means of an agent however I additionally deal direct loads with them and they're swift to repair issues or reply me if I've questions. In addition they allowed me to have canines (I moved in with two initially earlier than he handed away).

I believe to be this near city, with a driveway and various area is wonderful for the worth.

Gus the Jack Russell in his bed
That is Gus. He lives right here rent-free. (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

My house is on actually pretty, quiet suburban highway, nevertheless it’s proper close to the city centre. Not that you simply’d ever know that, its such a hidden gem.

The realm is beautiful, they've a Fb group for all of the residents and plenty of occasions taking place on particular events and there’s at all times vegetation on the market on the finish of peoples driveways and folks say good morning and hey.

It form of has a village really feel to it.

I first dismissed the home when a good friend instructed it to me once I was struggling to search out someplace.

It was listed with the brokers who have been promoting my dwelling so that they acquired me in to see it and I really actually favored it. It had actual potential.

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex A collection of books underneath a plant pot
Debs is eager to point out individuals methods to make rented properties really feel like dwelling (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

I’ve added touches of DIY and color, which could be very me. Plus I've crammed it with furnishings I really like, together with some secondhand bargains and hung footage, and many others.

I'm of the opinion that adorning a rented property isn’t wasted cash, it’s value it to make the place really feel like dwelling.

I've been so fortunate that my landlords are at all times glad to let me do stuff in the home.

A part of what I do as a digital creator is make DIY and makeover movies and I actually needed to point out individuals methods to beautify a rented property.

I began by asking for permission to do small issues like paint cabinets or partitions. They noticed the usual of my DIY and so I've been in a position to do larger initiatives like put vinyl tiles down within the toilet and makeover your entire kitchen portray cupboards and tiles and sanding all of the worktops.

They've additionally contributed the fee to a few of the larger gadgets like the brand new sink and faucet within the kitchen.

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex A lamp and vase of reeds
She loves DIY and looking for out secondhand finds (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

I imply I’m fairly fortunate that my landlord mows my garden when he involves mow the big subject behind the property. That’s fairly helpful.

I don’t assume I’ll ever have sufficient area… I purchase a whole lot of second-hand furnishings to make over so the one factor I’d love is a storage.

Any occasions I’ve had any issues they've all been sorted fairly fast by means of the brokers reporting faults system.

The one subject the home has that causes me any issues is that I've no aspect entry to the property, that means I've to take my garbage and many others by means of the home. Nevertheless it’s a small factor.

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex pastel toned artwork on a shelf
You’ll spot loads of soothing pastel shades (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

I might be reluctant to go away this home due to how good it's and the way nice my landlords are. I do know they produce other properties which can be all stuffed with long run tenants due to this motive.

However I’m additionally in leases for the liberty to have the ability to transfer simply, particularly if I needed to maneuver in with a accomplice sooner or later.

I want to personal a home once more someday, largely simply because I’d prefer to sort out an even bigger undertaking than simply adorning.

I’d love to purchase a undertaking home and do the entire thing up – that might be so enjoyable!

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex debs and gus the dog in the living room
Welcome in – right here’s the lounge (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex living room and dining area
It’s good and brilliant (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex - prints on the wall
Including loads of prints livens up plain white partitions (Image: Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex dining area
There’s area for a eating space, too (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex art on the walls
Some good messages right here… (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex kitchen
The kitchen (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex kitchen corner with toaster, microwave, kettle, tray
An identical toaster and kettle? Good (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex kitchen
It’s good to have a view of the backyard whilst you’re doing the washing up, no? (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex kitchen sink
You understand you’re getting previous for those who take a look at this image and assume: ‘ooh, what a stunning faucet’ (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex laundry corner kitchen
We like a great laundry nook (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex outdoor space garden chairs
Debs is fortunate to have some outside area, too (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex garden
Think about having your breakfast out right here (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex shed in the garden
And a shed, too? Fortunate (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex stairs
Again inside, let’s take a look at the upstairs (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex spare bedroom
That is the spare bed room (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex spare bedroom
Gotta have some pampas (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex wooden duck and old photo frame
Hello, wood duck (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex spare bedroom bedside table
An fascinating bedside e book choice (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex debs bedroom
And right here’s Debs’ bed room (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex shelves in bedroom
Very neat and tidy (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex bedroom
Sure, that could be a little TV (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex bedroom cushion
And a cushion to match the bedsheets (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex View of the cupboard that has been converted into a makeup and beauty room
Debs turned this cabinet right into a mini magnificence and dressing room (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk))

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex inside beauty room
Cute, proper (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex bathroom
The toilet (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex plant on tray in bathroom windowsill
A plant to convey some life (Image: SWNS/Metro.co.uk)

What I Rent: Debs, £870 a month for a two-bedroom house in Colchester, Essex bathroom sink
And eventually, the toothbrush shot you’ve been ready for (Image: SWNS)

What I Lease is a weekly sequence that’s out each Tuesday at 10am.

Examine again subsequent week to have one other nostril round a rented property.


Easy methods to get entangled in What I Lease

What I Lease is Metro.co.uk’s weekly sequence that takes you contained in the locations persons are renting, to present us all a greater sense of what’s regular and the way a lot we must be paying.

In the event you fancy participating, please electronic mail whatirent@metro.co.uk. You’ll have to take footage of your kitchen, lounge, toilet, and bed room, plus a number of pictures of you in your bed room or residing space.

Ensure you get permission out of your housemates! You’ll additionally must be okay with sharing how a lot you’re paying for hire, as that’s fairly necessary.

We're not simply after the prettiest locations on the market, by the best way. We would like the fact of renting, so for those who're at the moment renting a spot you hate, we might like to see that too (and sympathise significantly!).

This text incorporates placements with affiliate hyperlinks.  We could earn a small fee on purchases made by means of one in all these hyperlinks on these placements.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post