Walking down the slim hall in the direction of stylist Harry Lambert’s studio, I can’t be the primary particular person to surprise if Harry Types – Lambert’s most well-known shopper – has trod the identical blue carpet. Not that Lambert would inform me. Getting him to speak about Types is like getting blood from a stone. “OK, look,” he says. “On the subject of questions on Harry, I simply contemplate our relationship too personal to go too deep. It's important to keep in mind I'm there in essentially the most intimate occasions with folks I work with. I’m usually the final particular person they see earlier than they go on stage. It’s an intimate area! I’m conscious that lots of the eye I get is due to him, however I wish to be very cautious. However let’s attempt. OK. Go.”
Harry met Harry across the time of One Route’s 2014 album, 4. Rumours of a solo profession have been circulating, and Types was going by way of his “Jagger interval”, sporting black Saint Laurent fits, Chelsea boots and leonine hair tamed by vivid bandanas – trend filtered by way of NME moderately than GQ.
Lambert was principally styling journal shoots and trend reveals after they have been launched to one another. He offered a wardrobe (“playful stuff, Gucci and JW Anderson, stuff like that”), and Types agreed to offer it a whirl. What emerged is greatest described as Nineteen Seventies man, resurrected – flares, with a aspect of camp. Types was at all times recreation, he says, “however when it occurred, it was nonetheless like: ‘Fuck, that is wild.’”

The style business wolfed it up. From the sheer black shirt and single pearl earring on the 2019 Met Gala, to the tight crimson Arturo Obegero jumpsuit within the video to As It Was, Types turned mainstream pop’s most decided subverter of gender stereotypes.
Lambert has been central to this, a type of Thomas Cromwell to Types’s Henry VIII, however dissolving binaries as a substitute of monasteries. Not that that’s how he sees it: “Look, relating to this [gender stuff], I want I may very well be all: ‘I wished to vary the world!’ Nevertheless it’s extra that it’s a byproduct of what we’re doing,” he says. “In case you have a look at pop icons over time, trend is such an integral a part of their picture, like Björk within the swan gown, Britney within the schoolgirl outfit. I’m conscious that what I do is having an impression, however is that high of the agenda for me? No.”
We’re sitting on a bench within the communal backyard behind his two-room studio in Hoxton, east London. In a single room, platform sneakers spill out of an Ikea Kallax unit. Within the different, rails of garments sit. Lambert, 35, is heat and chatty, with a delicate East Anglian accent and brief bleached hair. He’s sporting wide-legged Marni trousers in chequerboard brown, massive black pearls and a T-shirt evenly stained with breakfast.
Superstar stylists are comparatively new. In Hollywood’s golden age – Lambert’s favorite period – actors have been styled by costume designers from the studios. By the early 70s, the studio system was over, so stars dressed themselves, which didn’t at all times go nicely (Google any Oscars ceremony within the Eighties).

It wasn’t till the mid-00s and Rachel Zoe – who turned her cadre (Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan) into avatars of her stick-thin self, and is rumoured to have commanded $10,000 a day – that stylists turned as well-known as their shoppers.
In the present day, the pink carpet is an economic system unto itself, constructed on the (usually false) concept that what celebrities put on is an extension of their persona moderately than, say, a mutually helpful advertising and marketing device brokered between label, superstar and stylist. Nobody is aware of how a lot cash modifications fingers, however on condition that many celebrities require stylists as a lot off stage as on (the walking-to-the-car-holding-a-juice outfit, may be as thought-about as what's worn to the Grammys) the superstar stylist has by no means been extra highly effective. Which explains why a few of the massive Hollywood ones – Legislation Roach, say, who put Zendaya in a sizzling pink breastplate, or Karla Welch, who put Justin Bieber in extra-long sleeved T-shirts – are family names, should you stay in that type of house.
Unusually for a stylist, Lambert has simply 4 shoppers: Types, Everton footballer Dominic Calvert-Lewin, and The Crown actors Emma Corrin and Josh O’Connor (every of whom has a physique double who tries on outfits the day earlier than). Lambert will get approached quite a bit, however normally says no. “I solely fashion individuals who – sorry to sound all LA – I join with, or who I can rework. I as soon as styled Kylie [Minogue] – however what do you even do with Kylie?”
It’s cheap to say that O’Connor’s look is essentially the most typical. Standouts embody a navy double-breasted sailor go well with with ceramic buttons by SS Daley, worn to final 12 months’s TV Baftas, “however there’s at all times a bit of twist, or flourish”, says Lambert “It may by no means be typical – I hate that.”

Corrin, whom he met by way of a pal, got here out as queer final 12 months, and makes use of garments to speak this. “There’s a stress on women in performing to be attractive, to be a bombshell, to have [their] boobs out. Emma is attractive, nevertheless it’s about enjoying with folks’s perceptions of what's lovely,” says Lambert. I say the Loewe gown and balloon bra she wore to the Olivier awards in April definitely felt like an in-joke. “The Oliviers are a bit stuffy, so we thought: ‘Let’s do one thing that most individuals aren’t going to get,’” he says with amusing. “It’s a dialog, however in a gown. Even the Every day Mail cherished it.”
As with all stylists’ muses, there may be an obligation to put on designers if they're linked with them – Corrin was the face of Miu Miu, Types of Gucci, and O’Connor of Loewe. However in utilizing classic items in addition to pushing smaller designers corresponding to Daley, Edward Crutchley and Harris Reed, whose gender-fluid designs have since ended up on the Met Gala, Lambert is trying to redress the ability steadiness.
Earlier this 12 months, he turned down the possibility to seem on the quilt of The Hollywood Reporter. “I didn’t get into this job to be on a [magazine] cowl. Style is frightening, trend week is frightening,” Lambert says. “There are ‘faces’, like Anna Wintour, after which there are folks like me.”
However due to his job – and due to social media – he's a face of types. “Somebody took my image on the bus and tagged me this week. So I’m well-known to a selected group of individuals.” The Harrys have nicknames for one another (Lambert is Susan, and Types is Sue) and the web has enjoyable with their relationship, with Reddit threads dedicated to to unpacking what these names imply. Once more, Lambert gained’t remark, nevertheless it appears an environment friendly method to differentiate between two folks known as Harry.

Rising up in Norwich, Lambert was into garments, not trend. He cycled by way of tendencies acquainted to a millennial (the skateboarding emo section, the Abercrombie & Fitch ripped unfastened denims section) and, in school, drifted in the direction of artwork. He studied pictures at Rochester College and whereas he cherished the narrative aspect, he tripped up on the technicalities, and as a substitute spent his summers interning at varied magazines.
He then moved to east London, simply on the finish of nu-rave. “I acquired into the business proper on the finish, simply after [the recession], when everybody had cash, but in addition simply earlier than styling turned a factor,” he says. He acquired work as a industrial stylist – together with a stint at quick trend “manufacturing facility” Asos, and later Topman, however his Damascene second was “bejewelling Little Boots’ curler skates on a shoot”.
His most up-to-date shopper is Calvert-Lewin, one of many few footballers who doesn’t gown as if he has been vomited on by a financial institution. Final winter’s Enviornment Homme+ cowl, through which he wears a flared brief go well with and a glittery pink Prada purse, was a blue-tick Lambert look – excessive trend with an androgynous twist. Is Lambert a soccer fan? “No. I needed to do half a season at Norwich Metropolis – Delia Smith’s group – after I was a child, however solely to escort my little brother.”
You solely want to take a look at Little Richard, David Bowie or Prince to see that androgyny has been a part of pop because the starting. But in soccer, outward expressions of so-called femininity are few and much between. Is Lambert attempting to drive a dialog about gender by introducing this trend to the Premier League? Lambert laughs once more. “I didn’t carry the purses to Dominic. He has three or 4 Chanel purses of his personal. However simply because somebody is a masculine straight man within the soccer group, and has a purse, it shouldn’t be a giant deal.” However it's a massive deal, I say, in a great way. “OK, yeah, I perceive how poisonous the [football] business may be, so to see a person with a Chanel purse is … one thing. However everyone seems to be attempting to faucet into that market,” he says of trend and sport. “Again within the day, should you have been into garments you have been homosexual. Now caring about the way you look – it’s nearly regular.”

It’s unsurprising then that Gucci not too long ago signed pomade-loving footballer Jack Grealish to entrance a future marketing campaign. On the point out of his identify, Lambert shifts round, then denies all information of the signing. I’d put a tenner on him being concerned.
“I believe how males gown is altering,” he says. “The Loewe aesthetic goes to be the following super-brand for youth in the best way that Balenciaga and Vetements [two of the brands responsible for luxury logo streetwear] rewrote what was cool. You may see it occurring.” To translate, Lambert means garments which might be fairly and surreal, logo-free knitwear and plenty of color. Like Types’ well-known rainbow cardigan – effeminate and enjoyable. “It’s the vibe shift, yeah.”
“After I’m gone,” Lambert says, “I simply hope it’s foolish issues corresponding to placing Harry [Styles] in pearls and that males can put on necklaces and it not be a factor – that’s the stuff I wish to be remembered for. That and when folks gown up as Harry for Halloween.” He claps his fingers. “It implies that we’ve achieved one thing that has had cultural impression. It means we’ve acquired by way of.”
Post a Comment