Amber Heard claims Johnny Depp lied on stand about not hitting her in first interview after losing defamation trial

Amber Heard and Johnny Depp
Amber Heard has spoken out (Image: NBC Information; Getty)

Amber Heard has claimed Johnny Depp lied on the stand about not hitting her in her first interview after she misplaced the defamation case.

The Pirates of the Caribbean actor gained the case towards his ex-wife and has at all times denied allegations of violence towards her, together with in his testimony throughout the trial.

Throughout her interview on the TODAY Present with Savannah Guthrie (through NBC Information), Heard was requested: ‘He stated he by no means hit you. Is that a lie?’, to which she responded: ‘Sure it's.’ 

Requested in regards to the witnesses who stated they noticed her instigate bodily violence throughout the relationship, she added: ‘I've seen how folks will file rank and assist an individual they rely upon.’

She added: ‘To my dying day, I'll stand by each phrase in my testimony.’

Heard additionally addressed her personal behaviour throughout the marriage, saying: ‘I did do and say horrible, regrettable issues all through my relationship. I behaved in horrible, virtually unrecognisable to myself methods. A lot remorse.

‘I've freely, overtly and voluntarily talked about what I did. I talked in regards to the horrible language, I talked about being pushed to the extent the place I didn’t even know the distinction between proper and unsuitable.

US-COURT-DEPP-HEARD
Heard recalled crying on the stand in a courtroom ‘packed stuffed with Captain Jack Sparrow followers (Image: AFP through Getty Pictures)

Actor Johnny Depp and his attorney Camille Vasquez look on during Depp's defamation case against ex-wife, actor Amber Heard at Fairfax County Circuit Court in Fairfax, Virginia, U.S., May 19, 2022. Shawn Thew/Pool via REUTERS
Depp gained the defamation case, with the decision being delivered on June 1 (Image: REUTERS)

‘I'll at all times proceed to really feel like I used to be part of this, like I used to be the opposite half of this relationship – as a result of I used to be. And it was ugly and might be very lovely.

‘It was very, very poisonous. We have been terrible to one another. I made lots of errors, lots of errors. I've at all times instructed the reality.’

Heard additionally spoke in regards to the assist for Depp in particular person and on social media, saying that she felt ‘lower than human’ throughout the trial.

She recalled: ‘Each single day I handed – generally for 3, 4, generally six blocks, metropolis blocks lined with folks holding indicators saying, “Burn the witch,” “Demise to Amber.”

‘After three and a half weeks, I took the stand and sobbed as a courtroom packed stuffed with Captain Jack Sparrow followers, who have been vocal, energised.’

‘This was probably the most humiliating and horrible factor I’ve ever been by way of,’ she added. ‘I've by no means felt extra faraway from my very own humanity. I felt lower than human’.

When instructed that many individuals don’t have sympathy for both of them, Heard responded: ‘I'd not blame the common particular person for this and the way this has been coated and never pondering that that is Hollywood brats at their worst.

‘However what folks don’t perceive is that it's truly a lot greater than that. This isn't solely about our first modification proper to talk.’

Depp’s attorneys claimed throughout their closing arguments that Heard was ‘performing’ and gave the ‘efficiency of a lifetime’ throughout her testimony.

She responded by referring to Depp’s function in Edward Scissorhands and saying: ‘Says the lawyer for the person who satisfied the world he had scissors for fingers? I’m the performer?

Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands
Heard referred to Depp’s function as Edward Scissorhands (Image: REX/Shutterstock)

Heard described the trial as probably the most humiliating factor she’s been by way of (Image: AFP through Getty Pictures)

‘I had listened to weeks of testimony insinuating that, or saying fairly immediately that I’m a horrible actress. So I’m a bit confused how I might be each.’

Requested in regards to the day of the decision and if she had been feeling assured, Heard stated: ‘That’s an ideal query, I want I might say sure to that. I need to say sure to you nevertheless it wouldn’t be true.’

She added: ‘Even for those who assume that I’m mendacity you continue to couldn’t inform me, look me within the eye and inform me that you just assume on social media there’s been a good illustration.’

A spokesperson for Heard added in an announcement in regards to the interview: ‘Johnny Depp’s authorized staff blanketed the media for days after the decision with quite a few statements and interviews on tv, and Depp himself did the identical on social media.

‘Ms. Heard merely meant to reply to what they aggressively did final week; she did so by expressing her ideas and emotions, a lot of which she was not allowed to do on the witness stand.’

The Pirates of the Caribbean actor was awarded a complete of $15million (£12m) in compensatory and punitive damages after a jury discovered Heard did defame him in a 2018 article she wrote about her home abuse expertise. 

Depp, 58, initially filed the lawsuit suing his ex-wife for $50m (£40m), however Heard then counter-sued for $100m (£80m). 

With the decision in his favour, the jury agreed to award the actor $10m (£7m) in compensatory damages and an extra $5m (£3.9m) in punitive damages. 

Nonetheless, the punitive damages have been capped at $350,000 (£279k) per Virginia state legislation. Heard herself was additionally awarded $2m (£1.6m) in compensatory damages, subsequently lowering Depp’s complete to $8.35m (£6.7m). 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post