How I Made It: ‘I’m a forensic psychiatrist – studying the minds of notorious criminals’

sohom das
It’s a darkish job (Image: Dr Sohom Das / Metro.co.uk)

Welcome again to How I Made It, Metro.co.uk’s weekly profession journey collection.

This week we’re chatting with Dr Sohom Das, a forensic psychiatrist and writer of In Two Minds: Tales of Homicide, Justice and Restoration from a Forensic Psychiatrist.

The 43-year-old from London has been on this line of labor for 15 years and has labored on the darkest of circumstances, assessing the minds of mentally disordered offenders.

His job is like one thing out of a criminal offense present, as he'll assist rehabilitate individuals who have dedicated critical offences – equivalent to homicide – and who've a spread of extreme psychological sicknesses.

He’s additionally an knowledgeable witness, working with courts to provide statements concerning an offender. Whereas that is how he spends most of his time now, beforehand he made judgement calls on whether or not a affected person could possibly be launched into society with out posing hazard.

Sohom tells Metro.co.uk: ‘My position boils all the way down to deciding whether or not the defendant has a psychological dysfunction.

‘In that case, what had been their signs on the materials time of the offence? Have been they accountable for their actions? Have been they criminally accountable? Do they in the end have to be sectioned to a safe psychiatric unit for offenders or despatched to jail?’

He then writes experiences on this, with ‘a sprinkling of psychiatric jargon to make myself sound cleverer than I really am’, as he places it.

It’s an unimaginable job – so right here’s how he made it. 

I stumbled right into a six-month psychiatry placement while galivanting in Australia, working as an accident and emergency physician. It was love at first sight.

I used to be instantly fixated by the surrealness it entailed.

I needed to entice weird and generally delusional beliefs from sufferers with a number of fascinating psychological issues, from schizophrenia to anorexia – from the college lecturer who believed that his pores and skin was shedding, to the middle-aged secretary who was satisfied that there have been microchips planted in her head, to the philosophy scholar who believed he was an incarnation of Jesus.

There was additionally the humanity of supporting and treating individuals at their lowest ebb, equivalent to post-suicide try.

Plus, to my shock, it suited my persona and drew out dormant skills. I by no means knew I had empathy and respectable communication expertise. 

After a collection of jobs the place I used to be a mediocre physician (at finest), it was invigorating to lastly be good at one thing.  

After deciding to solely practice in psychiatry, I cycled via quite a few sub-speciality placements inside this subject. I once more stumbled into forensics by probability.

I took on an project inside a medium safe unit, the place the sufferers had dedicated horrific violence and even homicide. 

I’ve all the time been fascinated by criminality and the macabre.

With forensics psychiatry, I had a possibility to deep dive into the minds of offenders. A lot of them have had horrific upbringings, from totally different types of abuse and neglectful dad and mom, or worse. 

First, six years of medical college, together with one yr doing a further intercalated BSc diploma – ostensibly to broaden my horizons, however in actuality, to finesse an additional summer season vacation.

I then spent two years within the wilderness as a junior physician.

I then needed to sit a collection of gruelling exams (some with a lower than a 50% go price!).

After this, I managed to sink my tooth into analysing criminals throughout my three-year stint of being a center grade physician.

Lastly, I emerged out of the chrysalis as a fully-formed, maybe considerably naïve, marketing consultant.    

Psychiatrists and psychologists are sometimes conflated and confused. The trail to changing into a forensic psychologist is totally different. They don't seem to be medical doctors first and so they don't must go to medical college.  

Certainly it was!

Getting onto a forensics psychiatry coaching publish was a battle because it was probably the most aggressive sub-specialties.

As soon as I received there, the job itself was very demanding – not solely coping with all the time difficult, probably harmful and infrequently aggressive sufferers, but additionally the behind-the-scenes hurdles, equivalent to demanding bosses and infinite assignments.

It felt like there was an infinite stream of paperwork and experiences.

On the finish of the slog, there was then a worry of not with the ability to discover a marketing consultant publish inside commuting distance of the place I used to be based mostly and the specter of having to uproot my entire household.   

Completely. You might want to have the emotional sturdiness to abdomen listening to about horrific crimes that a few of the defendants have dedicated – from sexual offences on minors, to noticeably hurting or killing members of the family or strangers. 

You require very thick pores and skin to cope with some aggressive psychotic sufferers. 

I’ve been threatened innumerable instances and punched within the face twice.  

I additionally assume it takes a sure persona construction to have the ability to have empathy for the victims and even the defendants themselves.


A mean day within the working lifetime of Dr Sohom Das

5am: Sohom wakes and can bash out some experiences for a few hours.

7am: If he’s not doing the college run, he’ll transfer to a restaurant to hold on writing.

11am: He hits the health club for an endorphin rush.

book cover
Sohom’s e-book (Image: Amazon)

1pm: Again to work, which might contain assessing psychotic prisoners, assembly with legal professionals and prisoners, or going to court docket.

4pm: He’ll write and file movies for his YouTube channel.

9pm: It’s lastly time to depart the espresso store and loosen up.

This would possibly sound a bit perverse, however I really like the joys of being cross-examined in court docket by barristers, significantly in the event that they occur to be smarmy and passive-aggressive.

That is much more enthralling in high-stakes conditions, equivalent to giving proof in homicide trials on the Previous Bailey.

Their job is to undermine my proof to sway the case. They could assault my credibility, attempt to make me contradict myself or confuse me. A lot of my friends dread this case however I relish it.

So long as I stand my floor and don’t get flustered, I are inclined to win. I adore it! Maybe that speaks to my narcissism. 

It may be heartbreaking to see repeat offenders drift again into the system even after they've spent years of rehabilitation inside our safe psychiatric models.


How I Made It

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post