How to fully concentrate when listening to an audiobook

Image shows a gold iPhone with rose gold headphones lying over the phone on a desk, behind is a stack of books. Behind the desk is multi-coloured colour coded book shelf.
Audiobooks rely as studying (Image: Getty)

Studying is a good passion. Whether or not you learn over 50 books a 12 months, decide one up sometimes on the weekend or carry a stack with you in your summer season holidays, studying is arguably one of the stress-free pastimes.

However over the previous few years, one other type of studying has taken centre stage…listening to audiobooks.

Whereas there's nonetheless some debate over whether or not or not it counts as studying, it’s secure to imagine most of us are in favour of audiobooks that present a handy strategy to multitask and nonetheless slot in an ideal learn. 

From 2020 to 2021, searches that included the time period ‘audiobook’ grew by 22%, however how can we give attention to what we're listening to? Are we taking within the story, or is it merely background noise? 

Find out how to focus when listening to an audiobook

Listening to audiobooks is a talent that doesn’t come naturally to everybody and will take some follow. You could discover that your thoughts retains wandering, however don’t fear. There are some things you are able to do to coach your mind to take heed to audiobooks extra simply.

‘I've been an Audible member since 2020 and have over 280 titles in my library,’ says celeb supervisor Mayah Riaz. ‘I completely love audiobooks and might’t be with out them now.

‘However I’ll be sincere, it took some time to get into. At first, I discovered concentrating troublesome and would neglect what was mentioned. So I might continuously re-listen to chapters.

‘Nevertheless, over the previous 12 years, I've been so targeted on audiobooks. I take heed to round two a month.’

black man with short pigtails in his hair on a red background in the studio in a red jacket listens to music in headphones holds headphones with his hands smiling with closed eyes
Tune in (Image: Getty Photos)

‘I can match audiobooks into on a regular basis life simpler than bodily books. I take heed to them when preparing, when driving once I’m strolling, cooking, tidying, when doing emails and even once I’m falling asleep. I’m hooked on them.’

Nevertheless it took Mayah time and follow to get to that stage. She additionally put steps in place to make sure she didn't turn into distracted.

‘I put on headphones because it creates a extra intimate expertise,’ she tells us. ‘I don’t go on social media when listening to books. 

‘I additionally continuously examine in with myself to ensure I’m retaining the data. That has turn into an automated factor I do.’

An additional tip Mayah suggests is to take heed to a free audiobook trial earlier than shopping for it. This fashion, you may see whether or not you just like the narrator’s voice and studying model.

Studying to give attention to audiobooks has different advantages too.

‘It's shocking how a lot you soak up when listening though you could have different ideas in your head. Additionally it is a bit like meditation,’ Mayah says. ‘I’ve additionally discovered that it’s made me a greater listener.’

TV producer Martin Kimber has ‘overwhelming’ dyslexia, making studying a ‘real-slog’.

‘Having to re-read each sentence [of a book] two or 3 times will get exhausting,’ he says.

‘I went via my total college life, together with an English literature A stage, with undiagnosed dyslexia. It solely obtained recognized throughout my second BA diploma. 

‘I at all times puzzled why I discovered studying such a tough process. Then I realised I might retain info way more simply if it had been audio.’


for concentrating whereas listening to an audiobook

John White, Director of We Run, a operating teaching firm, has been studying audiobooks for over 5 years.

He initially began with podcasts, which he finds lighter.

‘Podcasts require much less focus than a full e book,’ he says. However I quickly migrated onto audiobooks, and now it’s an automated reflex to hit play every time I’m doing any menial process that doesn’t require a lot mind energy.’

Beneath, he shares his prime ideas for taking within the info.


  • ‘The audiobooks I discover it hardest to give attention to are nearly at all times people who I wasn’t determined to take heed to within the first place,’ John says. ‘I discover that if I’m within the creator or topic, it’s fairly easy to remain targeted on the content material as a result of I’m simply eager to study extra and take up it.’

  • ‘Even with probably the most attention-grabbing books, it’s inevitable that every now and then, you discover your thoughts has wandered, and also you’ve missed out on the final little part of the e book,’ John factors out. ‘I used to seek out this irritating, however provided that I’m largely listening when doing senseless duties like cooking or strolling the canine, I attempt to take into account that even with just a few distractions and rewinds, I’m nonetheless squeezing loads of additional worth from that point.’
  • Do it alongside a senseless exercise corresponding to colouring, doodling, or doing a puzzle.
  • Hear whilst you go for a stroll.
  • Use audiobooks as a distraction in your commute to work.
  • Earlier than you get to sleep, take heed to an audiobook to calm your thoughts and distract you from any anxieties you might have.
  • Discover tedious chores that go properly with audiobooks, corresponding to cleansing or cooking.
  • Hear quite than scrolling in your telephone.

  • Reasonably than leaping straight into the deep finish, why not take heed to an audiobook you could have already learn. It will aid you get used to listening to a e book, and you might be more likely to have a great first expertise. 

The manufacturing of audiobooks can be key to optimising the listening expertise.

‘If I'm producing an audiobook with the intent of constructing it stress-free, then, firstly, within the casting, I might take into account just a few issues in regards to the voice themselves. I might in all probability go along with a decrease register, not too excessive pitched. A comfortable, clean, velvety tone,’ says Niki Alexandrou, an audiobook manufacturing supervisor at Crimson Apple Artistic

‘Personally, I like an accent that differs from the maybe extra commonplace or “impartial” accent.’

Within the recording, Niki will take into account the tempo, vitality and storytelling tone. 

‘Studying a e book is just not like recording an advert or a podcast; you will need to make sure the voice is just not too pushed or sales-y. It ought to sound like somebody telling you a narrative. Not too sluggish and never too quick.

‘There’s a stability to strike with the vitality. If it’s too relaxed, then it'd sound as if the reader is bored. It must be intriguing.’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post