Iga Swiatek sends classy message to emotional Coco Gauff after French Open final thrashing

TENNIS-FRA-OPEN
Iga Swiatek thrashed Coco Gauff within the French Open ultimate (Image: Getty)

Iga Swiatek has promised Coco Gauff she is going to discover Grand Slam success sooner or later regardless of being thrashed within the French Open ultimate.

Swiatek received her second title at Roland Garros after brushing apart her American opponent 6-1 6-3 on Saturday.

The Pole was in ruthless kind, sinking Gauff in simply over an hour on Court docket Philippe Chatrier.

Gauff, 18, appeared devastated with the end result and sat in her chair courtside in tears.

However the teen smiled as Swiatek gave a sometimes stylish speech through which she assured her that success on the most important stage was not far-off.

The French Open ladies’s champion mentioned: ‘To begin with, I need to congratulate you since you’re doing an incredible job. I can see that each month.

‘You might be progressing on a regular basis mainly and, after I was your age, I had my first yr on tour and I had no thought what I used to be doing. So you will discover it and you may be there. I'm positive of that.’

Swiatek was the favorite heading into the ultimate having dominated the ladies’s tour this season, successful 5 titles in a row.

Nonetheless, Gauff was anticipated to place up a robust combat after beating the likes of Sloane Stephens and Elise Mertens within the event’s earlier rounds.

Swiatek got here out firing, breaking her opponent within the very first recreation earlier than working away with the title.

The 21-year-old was delighted together with her second win at Roland Garros within the final three years, including throughout her on-court interview: ‘Two years in the past successful this title was one thing superb that I wouldn’t have anticipated ever. This time I labored onerous to get right here.

Iga Swiatek
Swiatek was delighted to win her second French Open title (Image: Getty)

‘Thanks all of the followers for coming, all of the Polish flags I can see over there. It’s good to have you ever and lean on you in my hardest moments.

‘It’s at all times an excellent environment right here and I at all times have further motivation each time I come right here.

‘I additionally needed to say one thing to Ukraine, to remain sturdy, as a result of the conflict continues to be there. Because it began I hoping after I do the subsequent [tournament] the scenario will probably be higher however I'll nonetheless have hope. Thanks guys and see you subsequent yr.’

In the meantime, an emotional Gauff mentioned: ‘This can be a first time for me so I’ll attempt to get by this.

‘Congratulations Iga, what you've gotten executed these previous few months has been superb. Hopefully we are able to play many finals and I can get a win on you one in every of nowadays.

‘I’d wish to thank my crew. I’m sorry I wasn’t capable of get this one as we speak. However thanks guys for at all times supporting me. Hopefully that is the primary ultimate of many. I admire you guys so much, you've gotten helped me by a lot this yr.

‘Thanks to you guys [in the crowd] who supported me even after I was down. Even after I was down match factors you guys cheered me on and which means so much, so actually, thanks.’

.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post