Martin Scorsese on Ray Liotta in Goodfellas: ‘The new guy never missed a beat’

We had some issues attempting to get Goodfellas made. It got here at a low second in my profession and the studios weren't precisely desirous to work with me. And it was an enormous manufacturing, with areas throughout New York and lots of talking elements. We additionally wanted to seek out simply the correct actor to play the lead, Henry Hill. The half required a uncommon mixture of qualities. He wanted to be harmful. He wanted to be disarming. He wanted to be weak. Throughout the context of the world we had been coping with, he needed to be one thing near an harmless, the man who was at all times there, witnessing all the things, alongside for the experience. And, it goes with out saying, he wanted to look and act like he may need come out of that world.

Finally, it got here all the way down to a handful of names. One in all them was Ray Liotta.

Like everybody else out and in of the film enterprise, I used to be surprised by his efficiency in my good friend Jonathan Demme’s One thing Wild. Midway by way of the image, he walked in and kind of took it over. You couldn’t take your eyes off of him. However Ray’s position in One thing Wild was finite, and I puzzled if he may carry an entire image.

Two very attention-grabbing issues occurred. My producer, Irwin Winkler, didn't see Ray within the position. He didn’t suppose he had sufficient allure to counterbalance all of the violence and the surplus. One night time, whereas Irwin was having dinner in a Santa Monica restaurant along with his spouse Margo and his good friend Richard Zanuck, Ray politely approached him and requested for a few minutes of his time. They walked right into a quiet nook, they talked, and proper then and there Ray persuaded Irwin.

‘Just what the role needed’ … Liotta, with Martin Scorsese and Paul Sorvino.
‘Simply what the position wanted’ … Liotta, with Martin Scorsese and Paul Sorvino. Photograph: DMI/The LIFE Image Assortment/Shutterstock

When The Final Temptation of Christ had its world premiere on the Venice movie competition, I used to be crossing the foyer of the Excelsior lodge on my solution to an interview. Ray and I noticed one another from throughout the foyer, and he headed towards me to say howdy and examine in with me. He got here close to after which he hit a wall of safety. As a substitute of throwing a match and demanding that he be allowed by way of, he reacted quietly and calmly, noticed the foundations and patiently defused the state of affairs. He checked out me, I checked out him, and we signalled that we'd discuss, and he walked away. I watched all of it very intently, and I noticed him deal with the state of affairs with quiet authority and an actual class. Really, that was simply what the position wanted. After I look again on it, I consider that was the second after I knew I wished Ray to play Henry Hill.

The phrase “fearless” is used very often to explain actors, and with good cause: actors must be fearless. They've to leap in and simply go, and so they need to stumble and fail and threat showing ridiculous as they’re discovering their approach into a task. That’s simply a part of the work. On Goodfellas, we had been working improvisationally in most scenes, and lots of members of the workforce had identified one another and labored collectively for years, together with my mom and my father. Into that walked the brand new man, Ray Liotta, and he by no means missed a beat. It felt like we’d labored collectively for years.

‘Everyone came together in an emotional bond around Ray’ … Liotta with Joe Pesci in the classic film.
‘Everybody got here collectively in an emotional bond round Ray’ … Liotta with Joe Pesci within the basic movie. Photograph: Snap/REX/Shutterstock

I'll always remember the day we shot the scene the place Henry, Tommy (Joe Pesci) and Jimmy (Robert De Niro) convey their tribute cash from the Air France heist to Paulie, performed by Paul Sorvino. After they had been organising, I received phrase that Ray had simply gotten a name with dangerous information. I went proper to his trailer and located him fully distraught. His mom was dying. I do not forget that he stored saying: “She adopted me and raised me, she’s the sweetest girl there may be – why does she have this horrible most cancers? Why?”

I advised him that he needed to go to be along with her, however he was adamant: he wished to do the scene earlier than he left. We walked to the set collectively, everybody was advised what was occurring, and one thing extraordinary occurred once we rolled. The scene was all concerning the euphoria of the characters after making their first massive rating, and everybody got here collectively in an emotional bond round Ray: as everybody was laughing and celebrating, they had been mourning with him on the identical time. Laughter and tears, tears and laughter … they had been one and the identical. Ray did the scene so superbly, after which he left to be along with his beloved mom. It was a uncommon expertise.

We had many plans to work collectively once more however the timing was at all times off, or the challenge wasn’t fairly proper. I remorse that now. After I watched Ray because the divorce lawyer in Marriage Story – he’s genuinely scary within the position, which is exactly why he’s so humorous – I keep in mind feeling that I wished to work with him once more at this level in his life, to discover the gravity in his presence, so totally different from the younger, sprightly actor he was after I met him.

I want I’d had the prospect to see him simply as soon as extra, too – to inform him simply how a lot the work we did collectively meant to me. However perhaps he knew that. I hope so.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post