Michael van Gerwen and Joe Cullen react to stunning Premier League Darts final

Michael van Gerwen
Michael van Gerwen claimed his sixth Premier League title in dramatic vogue (Image: Kais Bodensieck/PDC)

Michael van Gerwen and Joe Cullen produced one of many biggest matches in Premier League historical past on Monday evening as MVG survived a match dart to beat the Rockstar 11-10 in Berlin.

It was a closing to recollect as Cullen practically pulled off the upset in Germany, agonisingly lacking double 16 for the win within the closing leg earlier than the Dutchman stepped in to win a record-equaling sixth Premier League title.

This got here after some surprisingly one-sided semi-finals as Van Gerwen brushed apart James Wade 10-4 and Cullen beat a below-par Jonny Clayton by the identical scoreline.

MVG’s big win is his first in a serious match for the reason that 2020 Gamers Championship as he ends a dry spell which has seen him slip from his perch as the game’s most harmful participant.

He admits it has been a extremely laborious time during the last two years, however is able to climb again to the highest of the tungsten mountain as soon as once more.

‘I've been going via a extremely robust time, so to win this title means quite a bit to me,’ he stated. ‘I’m a cheerful man. Joe Cullen was phenomenal in that closing. What a day. I’m over the moon.

‘In fact I'm going for extra titles now. To have gained this trophy right here in Berlin is superb.

‘This final 18 months has harm me. I do know what I’m able to, however this crowd in Germany right now, they have been completely sensational. I feel they have been a credit score to the game.’

Requested simply how robust it has been for him, Van Gerwen added: ‘Actually painful. I created my very own issues just a little bit, and the press in fact as a result of I get slaughtered if I don’t do the proper issues on the proper second.

‘Everybody expects Michael to win, however that’s not how it's, that’s not how simple it's and that’s not the way it must be.

‘An important factor is I gained right here right now and it offers me an important feeling. I do know there’s extra to return and we’ll see that in a couple of weeks’ time.

‘After the World Championship title, it’s an important one for me. It’s actually laborious.’

It was an historic victory for the 33-year-old as he equalled Phil Taylor’s document of Premier League titles, one thing MVG expects to say for himself sooner or later.

‘I’m going to beat that document as properly, don’t fear,’ he stated. ‘I’ve nonetheless acquired 10-15 years to go.’

Cullen was making his debut within the Premier League this 12 months after profitable the Masters in January and MVG was stuffed with admiration for his vanquished foe.

On whether or not the Yorkshireman had proved that he belongs at darts’ high desk, Van Gerwen instructed On-line Darts: ‘In fact, in any other case he’s not within the Premier League.

‘He’s a winner anyway, no matter he does. In fact He had an opportunity to beat me there

‘He shouldn’t really feel himself as a loser as a result of I feel right now he was a credit score to darts, credit score to the game and that’s actually essential as properly.’

Michael van Gerwen
Joe Cullen was millimeters away from the right debut season within the Premier League (Image: Kais Bodensieck/PDC)

Whereas he'll look again on it as a profitable first marketing campaign within the elite occasion, Cullen was hurting after the defeat, not simply due to the missed match dart within the closing leg, however alternatives earlier within the contest as properly.

The 32-year-old averaged marginally greater than MVG (99.36 to 99.10) and was distraught to not convert the victory.

‘Michael is a improbable participant and a improbable champion, however I'm completely gutted,’ he stated.

‘I can't consider I’ve misplaced, however credit score to Michael, he is a good man and a beautiful champion.

‘I feel the second leg value me, lacking three at 32 for a break of throw. I’m completely devastated.’

Cullen might be consoled by the hefty £125,000 prize for ending runner-up, whereas MVG pockets a whopping £275,000 for choosing up the trophy.

.

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post