Mum saves £5k in nine months by embracing side hustles

mum Megan Kristie with her baby
Megan Kristie says she has saved £5,000 purely from facet hustles equivalent to doing on-line surveys (Image: MediaDrumWorld)

When Megan Kristie, 25, went on maternity depart along with her first little one, she needed to give you a approach to herald some further money.

Facet hustles had been the answer, permitting her to earn cash whereas spending time along with her household.

Because of that – together with some good budgeting – the mum has managed to succeed in a load of financial savings targets.

Since September 2021, she has saved greater than £5,000, which has helped her attain her aim of £10,000 for a home deposit.

‘I've at all times been a saver however have by no means budgeted,’ mentioned Megan.

‘I began my budgeting journey once I began maternity depart – realizing cash can be tight while on SMP (statutory maternity pay), I needed to take advantage of the cash I did have by implementing a price range.

‘Step one was writing down all of my outgoings versus my revenue. From this I used to be in a position to distribute my spare cash to different payments equivalent to grocery procuring.

‘I lower your expenses on grocery procuring primarily through the use of cashback apps and by making the most of new buyer low cost offers.

Meg and her daughter on holiday, which was paid for with side hustle money
Megan began her budgeting journey whereas on maternity depart along with her first little one (Image: mediadrumimages/Megan Kristie)

‘As an example, I lately saved £20 off a £60 store for being a brand new buyer with Ocado.

‘I've numerous totally different financial savings pots. One for a home, one for a flag to hopefully quickly change into a landlord, and a basic emergency fund, ought to I ever want it.’

In addition to budgeting and utilizing cashback apps, Megan has a number of ‘facet hustles’ which permit her to earn cash from dwelling.


Megan's £5k financial savings breakdown:

  • Round £1,000 from surveys.
  • £1,000 from web site testing.
  • £2,000 from market analysis.
  • £1,000 from a mixture of thriller procuring product checks and referral schemes.

‘I don’t embrace cashback as revenue however I've made round £300 further to the £5k from cashback apps,’ she provides.

‘My facet hustles are thriller procuring, web site testing, market analysis and surveys,’ mentioned Megan.

‘There are many apps and firms on the market to begin facet hustles with.

‘How a lot I do varies relying on how a lot spare time I've.

Freebies from mystery shopping and cashback apps.
Among the freebies Megan has acquired as a part of doing thriller procuring and cashback apps (Image: mediadrumimages/Megan Kristie)

‘I are likely to do surveys within the evenings and web site checks all through the day.

‘I apply for plenty of market analysis so relying on if I get chosen, I’ll do them on specified dates and occasions.’

Now again at her £27,000 pro-rata job part-time, Megan has saved up a few of her facet hustles to maintain working in direction of her saving goal of £35,00.

The mum says she earns between £500 and £2,000 a month from her facet hustles alone, and that’s on prime of what she earns from her most important job.

Now, she’s sharing her cash knowledge on Instagram, at @thesavvyspenderofficial.

‘My recommendation is to write down down all your funds – Outgoings, incoming cash and see how a lot you’re left with,’ she shared.

‘Then allocate your leftover cash accordingly.

Meg and her daughter, who is 1
The mum now shares her budgeting suggestions to assist different dad and mom (Image: mediadrumimages/Megan Kristie)

‘Discover a budgeting technique that works for you. You could find these on Google or Instagram finance pages – having the right price range can work wonders.

‘Lastly – Use cashback apps.

‘The price of residing criss has affected my very own saving barely, however not drastically as I've been facet hustling extra typically which implies my budgets haven’t modified an excessive amount of.

‘I are likely to spend extra time making more money so I can nonetheless save and luxuriate in my life while affording the upper vitality payments and different rising prices of residing.

‘Utilities for me is the toughest space to avoid wasting in. It’s not really easy to simply cease utilizing as a lot scorching water or cook dinner much less.

‘These are fundamental requirements and I don’t imagine we should always have to decide on between staying heat or consuming, it’s not honest that individuals must make this resolution.’

If you need extra suggestions and tips on saving cash, in addition to chat about money and alerts on offers and reductions, be a part of our Fb Group, Cash Pot.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post