Phil Mickelson defends Saudi-backed LIV Series but will not quit PGA Tour

Phil Mickelson pressured he doesn't condone human rights violations on the eve of the primary Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Collection occasion at Centurion Membership outdoors London.

Mickelson described the Saudis as “scary motherfuckers” and stated he was properly conscious of Saudi Arabia’s “horrible file on human rights” – together with the homicide of the Washington Publish reporter Jamal Khashoggi – in an interview with the creator of a brand new unauthorised biography. But he added that working with the Saudis was a “once-in-a-lifetime alternative to reshape how the PGA Tour operates”, additionally accusing the Tour of “obnoxious greed”.

Talking at a press convention on Wednesday, Mickelson stated: “I don’t condone human rights violations in any respect. I’m actually conscious of what has occurred with Jamal Khashoggi and I feel it’s horrible. I've additionally seen the nice that the sport of golf has executed all through historical past and I consider LIV Golf goes to do a number of good for the sport as properly.”

Whereas various gamers have resigned from the PGA Tour with the intention to compete within the LIV Golf occasions, Mickelson stated he had no intention of following swimsuit. “I earned my lifetime membership and I don’t need to give that up, I don’t consider I ought to need to,” the six-time main winner added. “I don’t know what’s going to occur, however I've earned that [lifetime membership)] and I don’t plan on simply giving that up.”

Mickelson refused to verify or deny if he had been suspended, or at present was, from the PGA Tour. “I select to not communicate publicly on PGA Tour points right now,” he stated.

Signal as much as The Recap, our weekly electronic mail of editors’ picks.

He additionally declined to verify if he's receiving $200m to compete within the LIV Golf occasions, however his reply indicated that the reported quantity could also be correct. “I really feel that contract agreements must be non-public,” Mickelson added. “Doesn’t appear to be the case, nevertheless it must be.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post