The Big Questions: DJ Fat Tony on conquering addiction, the importance of Pride, and finding ‘light in the darkness’

Welcome to Metro.co.uk’s The Large Questions, the place we ask the most important of massive questions (and the smaller ones too), and this week we had a chinwag with legendary DJ, Fats Tony…

Rising up on a council property in Battersea, in South London, the music-maker, AKA Tony Marnoch, tapped into his superpowers behind the decks to play at among the most iconic nightclubs on the planet.

Though no name-dropper, he has frolicked with everybody from Madonna to Sir Elton John, and counts Kate Moss, Boy George and British Vogue’s Edward Enninful as shut friends. Just lately, he offered the beats for Brooklyn Beckham’s marriage ceremony – what we’d give to see VB getting down and soiled on the dancefloor.

Nevertheless, dwelling life within the quick lane got here at a value, and Tony has been appreciably frank about his decades-long battle with habit – earlier than discovering sobriety in 2006.

Along with his fingers in lots of proverbial pies, together with podcast The Restoration, the 56-year-old lately revealed his autobiography I Don’t Take Requests.

With Pleasure season upon us, we caught up with Tony, who lives together with his long-time companion David, as he put the needle on celebrating Pleasure, how he conquered drink and medicines, and discovering ‘gentle within the darkness.’

Let’s kick off with some Pleasure-inspired questions. What would you say Pleasure means to you, and has that which means modified over time?

Pleasure means, to me, it provides freedom to be who you need to be. Folks at all times nonetheless suppose that we don’t want Pleasure anymore. We want it greater than ever. In numerous nations, it's not acceptable to be who we're.

We have to make it proper in these nations by displaying our solidarity for everybody else. It’s not about strolling down the road and going to a celebration and having fun with your self, as a lot because it about an expression of, we have to present the world that we exist and we’re loud and we’re right here.

DJ Fat Tony performing.
Tony is among the most well-known DJs (Image: John Phillips/LIV Golf/Getty Pictures)

Are you able to bear in mind your first Pleasure?

After all! I used to go to Pleasure when it was in Brockwell Park, years and years in the past. After which in addition they had it in Finsbury Park, about 30 years in the past. Pleasure in London began off as a political rally, a march by the streets, then it, form of, grew and grew and grew. I’ve been going to Pleasure ever since I can bear in mind, actually.

Pleasure in London is celebrating its fiftieth anniversary, and nice strides have been made since that monumental march. What progress would you wish to see in, say, the following 5 years?

We've these teams who need the ‘T’ taken out of the LGBT. They need the ‘B’ taken out now as a result of they are saying that ‘bi’ shouldn’t exist inside our pronouns. It’s like, cling on, why have we been combating for 50 years for acceptance, so that you can come alongside and check out to do this? The very last thing we have to be doing is combating internally. It’s simply unhappy. But once more, it’s at all times a small pocket of close-minded folks that attempt to smash it for everybody else.

We have to present a bit extra love for one another, and that begins with loving ourselves. Don’t throw bricks at anybody else. There’s room for everybody. Think about what our lives can be if it was simply ‘L’ and ‘G’. How boring would that be?

Who was the primary particular person you got here out to?

I grew up on an property in Battersea, and I by no means needed to come out and say I used to be homosexual to anybody. I used to be fairly privileged in that truth. My mum at all times knew, my dad at all times knew. I by no means received to the purpose the place I needed to say, “You recognize what, I’m homosexual.”

DJ Fat Tony at the I Don't Take Requests Book Launch Party.
The DJ opened up in his memoir I Don’t Take Requests (Image: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Pictures for MCH STUDIO)

Rising up and doing what I did, there was stuff that occurred to me after I was younger, sexually with different males and [things] like that. There was a number of disgrace connected to it, but additionally on the similar time, there was a number of, okay, effectively, I’m not going to be pushed round by anybody.

Rising up on the property, I discovered in a short time that the louder I used to be, the extra homosexual I used to be, it, form of, protected me in a way. It was a superpower, belief me.

Off the again of that, what recommendation would you give to your youthful self?

“Shut up and pay attention.” Actually. There have been so many instances the place, if I’d listened, I'd have taken a unique path. My e book known as I Don’t Take Requests for that very motive, as a result of for those who’d requested me to do one thing, inform me to do one thing, I by no means did it. And you recognize what, possibly I ought to of.

Do you continue to have that strategy now?

I’m extra open-minded. I’ve discovered with age that, being cussed and caught in a single’s methods by no means will get you wherever, it by no means strikes you ahead. I’m open for requests to a sure extent. I’m definitely open for recommendation as of late.

I struggled with habit for 28 years – which is undermining it, it was excess of struggling. I utterly ruined my life for a very long time with drink and medicines, and that’s as a result of I didn’t pay attention, I selected to not pay attention. Earlier than I knew it, I received swept away.

You’ve been very open about your struggles with habit. When did you realise you had an issue, and do you suppose being a DJ exacerbated the problem?

DJing grew to become an excuse to do what I did in the long run. It was a approach and means to get extra of something that I wished. I knew I had an issue each Tuesday morning when all of it ran out; every time I couldn’t get a drink, I knew I had an issue. Once I had a drink, there was by no means an issue. Once I had a drug, there was by no means an issue. It’s after they run out. That’s while you suppose, I must get assist. However you by no means do, as a result of the following day, you’ll get up and begin once more.

DJ Fat Tony.
Tony hopes by telling his personal story he’s serving to others overcome struggles (Image: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Pictures for Canada Goose)

When it comes to your restoration, what methods and mechanisms did you have got in place?

To start out off with, I needed to change my circle of buddies. I needed to change my way of life utterly for fairly a while. Whilst you’re in it, you by no means see the place the issue begins and ends. Each of these issues are you, it begins with you and it ends with you. However whilst you’re in that, you don’t see that, everybody else is the issue.

It’s about small steps, actually small steps. They’ll get you a lot additional than attempting to run the race. Simply breathe and take it straightforward. After we’re in habit and fighting drink and medicines, it takes away our self-worth, our ambition. It chisels away all the pieces. Slowly, over time, you get that stuff again.

I used to self-harm and, with that, too, it was about taking small steps to cease doing it.

Pay attention, after we self-harm – I self-harmed each day by placing drink and medicines in my physique. That was self-harming. I bear in mind I went to see a psychiatrist after I was attempting to get into rehab the primary time. I used to be sitting there and he mentioned to me, ‘Have you ever ever self-harmed?’ and I used to be like, ‘No, why would I ever do this?’ My companion, who was sat subsequent to me, mentioned, ‘Tony, you pulled all of your tooth out with a screwdriver and pliers.’ In my head, I assumed that wasn’t self-harming. That was the psychological state I used to be in. It’s all connected to habit and low self-worth, and all of it comes from a spot of worry. It’s about change.

Statistics present that members of the LGBTQ+ neighborhood wrestle with substance abuse greater than others. Do you have got any ideas on why this is perhaps the case?

As a result of, after we’re rising up in society, we all of a sudden come out or discover our folks, you progress from a small city, as an illustration, you progress to London and also you need to be preferred and seen. You go on the apps, you begin assembly folks. In case you go on Grindr, or any of those apps, persons are all excessive, it’s all about medicine, you get swept away by it. You suppose it’s the norm, it’s homosexual tradition to do medicine, that’s what we do. Additionally, we don’t have three kids to take care of!

You talked about your e book. How cathartic did you discover the writing course of? Was there a chapter of your life that was tougher to revisit than others?

DJ Fat Tony and David Furnish.
No name-dropping in Tony’s e book! (However right here he's with David Furnish…) (Image: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Pictures for EJAF / The Caring Household Basis)


Assist us increase £10k for Kyiv Pleasure and AKT

To have a good time 50 years of Pleasure, Metro.co.uk has teamed up with Kyiv Pleasure to boost cash for his or her vital work in Ukraine.

Regardless of battle raging round them, Kyiv Pleasure proceed to assist LGBTQ+ folks, providing these in want shelter, meals and psychological assist.

We will probably be splitting the funds with akt, a charity devoted to supporting younger homeless LGBTQ+ folks.

You'll be able to donate right here

It took seven and a half years to put in writing. And it took that period of time for a motive. There may be a lot in there that I struggled with, that I assumed I’d overcome and moved ahead from, that [actually] I hadn’t actually even checked out, touched the floor of.

There’s the London’s Burning chapter, which is about Aids and HIV, and my very own analysis is in there. I speak about after I was recognized and the way I practically died of full-blown Aids. I actually had underneath 150 T cells left. I used to be classed at one level as [having] full-blown Aids. I speak about that, fairly totally, about how I used to be in a coma for therefore lengthy and all the pieces, about the truth that they did come together with antiretrovirals and pump me filled with it as a trial, and it saved my life.

It’s a significant a part of my life that I’ve by no means saved a secret, as a result of it’s not a secret, however I’ve gone in and talked about in depth. Additionally, the abuse chapter, after I was a baby and abused for 4 years. That’s in there. To jot down that and speak about that stuff is difficult. It made me in poor health. I used to be bodily sick writing that chapter. For per week and a half, I used to be vomiting and stuff. It introduced up a lot.

[On writing about his abuse] For me, by discussing it and bringing it to the floor and speaking about it in such depth, I believe it’s going to assist so many extra folks to grasp that, they’re not alone, it wasn’t their fault, and so they’re to not blame.

There’s actual gentle within the darkness. It’s not a e book about darkness, it’s about discovering the sunshine.

What tune holds a particular place in your coronary heart and why?

Troopers of Twilight’s Consider. The phrases to that tune modified my life… I don’t take heed to music, I really feel music. There’s a distinction. It’s like a vibration. Throughout lockdown, I used to be Djing to yuccas in my backyard and palm timber, and I struggled. I wasn’t getting the power. I thrive off of 10 folks, f***ing 20,000 folks. It’s all about power for me. Music is the most effective drug in the entire world.


DJ Fats Tony's weekend:

On a Saturday you’ll discover me at my Full Fats brunch we do within the metropolis. It’s been working for six months. We began it, and so they simply promote out instantaneously. It’s a extremely secure house for folks to return and dance. It’s like a day rave. However in the course of the summer season, you’ll discover me in Ibiza, largely.

I’m an ‘up and at ‘em’ man. I get up actually early. Folks hate me within the mornings, as a result of I’ll ring you at 7.30am. I don’t give a f***. I’m filled with beans. It’s within the evenings that I develop into gradual and grouchy. You recognize why? I spent such a very long time not realizing I used to be going to get up the following day, now after I get up, it’s a brand new day and I respect it.

Now, it’s high quality time for me on the weekends. I do gigs after which I am going residence. My life doesn’t revolve round nightclubs anymore. It’s about making folks dance after which going residence and making myself completely satisfied. There’s an actual magnificence in being management of while you go away. I cherish the weekends, I actually do.


Fearful about medicine?

Frank presents confidential recommendation about medicine and habit (e-mail frank@talktofrank.com, message 82111 or name 0300 123 6600) or the NHS has details about getting assist.

Adfam has native teams for households affected by medicine and alcohol and DrugFam presents telephone and e-mail assist to folks affected by different folks's drug or alcohol misuse.


Want assist? Contact the Samaritans

For emotional assist you'll be able to name the Samaritans 24-hour helpline on , e-mail jo@samaritans.org, go to a Samaritans department in particular person or go to the Samaritans web site.


Metro.co.uk celebrates 50 years of Pleasure

This yr marks 50 years of Pleasure, so it appears solely becoming that Metro.co.uk goes above and past in our ongoing LGBTQ+ assist, by a wealth of content material that not solely celebrates all issues Pleasure, but additionally share tales, take time to replicate and raises consciousness for the neighborhood this Pleasure Month.

And we’ve received some nice names on board to assist us, too. From an inventory of well-known visitor editors taking on the location for per week that features , , ,,, and , we’ll even have the likes and Drag Race stars and providing their insights. 

Throughout Pleasure Month, which runs from 1 - 30 June, Metro.co.uk may even be supporting Kyiv Pleasure, a Ukrainian charity pressured to work tougher than ever to guard the rights of the LGBTQ+ neighborhood throughout instances of battle, and youth homelessness charity AKT. To seek out out extra about their work, and what you are able to do to assist them, click on right here.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post