Tiger Woods withdraws from US Open with eye on St Andrews: ‘I will be there’

Tiger Woods has confirmed he won't play in subsequent week’s US Open at Brookline.

The 46-year-old needed to withdraw from the US PGA Championship in Might after three rounds and doesn't really feel prepared for the following main of the 12 months.

“I beforehand knowledgeable the USGA that I cannot be competing within the US Open as my physique wants extra time to get stronger for main championship golf,” Woods stated on Twitter.

“I do hope and plan to be able to play in Eire at JP McManus Professional-AM and at The Open subsequent month. I’m excited to get again on the market quickly!”

The information comes as no shock given how Woods struggled at Southern Hills final month, the 15-time main winner clearly combating the ache in his proper leg following the extreme accidents he sustained in a automobile accident in Los Angeles in February final 12 months.

I beforehand knowledgeable the USGA that I cannot be competing within the @usopengolf as my physique wants extra time to get stronger for main championship golf. I do hope and plan to be able to play in Eire at @JPProAm and at @TheOpen subsequent month. I’m excited to get again on the market quickly!

— Tiger Woods (@TigerWoods) June 7, 2022

Woods fought again from a gap 74 to shoot a second spherical of 69 in Tulsa and make the minimize with a shot to spare, however then laboured to a 79 on Saturday, his worst rating ever within the US PGA.

Talking after his exceptional return to top-flight motion within the Masters in April, Woods had made it clear how eager he was to compete within the one hundred and fiftieth Open Championship over the Previous Course at St Andrews, scene of two of his three Open victories.

“I'm trying ahead to St Andrews,” he stated in April. “That's one thing that's close to and expensive to my coronary heart.

“I’ve received two Opens there, it’s the house of golf, it’s my favorite golf course on this planet. I can be there for that one.”

In his pre-tournament press convention at Southern Hills, Woods likened taking part in within the Masters to climbing Everest and stated “it’s solely going to get flatter and higher”.

Nonetheless, when requested how shut he's now to the height stage of health he'll be capable to obtain, Woods added: “That’s an ideal query. I don’t know.

“There’s a whole lot of hardware in there (the precise leg] and there’s going to be limitations to what I’m going to have the ability to do, however I’m going to get stronger. I don’t know [by] how a lot that's or how a lot vary of movement I’ll ever get again.”

Talking after his first spherical of 74, Woods was requested how the harm impacts his swing.

“Loading hurts, urgent off it hurts, and strolling hurts, and twisting hurts,” he stated. “It’s simply golf. If I don’t do this, then I’m all proper.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post