Florida star Anthony Richardson drops ‘AR-15’ nickname after mass shootings

School soccer star Anthony Richardson has introduced he's dropping his ‘AR-15’ nickname after the current wave of mass shootings within the US.

The Florida quarterback was given the nickname as a reference to an assault rifle which has been utilized in various current shootings. The 21-year-old made the announcement he was dropping the identify in an announcement on his web site.

“After discussions with my household and far thought, I've determined to now not use the nickname ‘AR-15’ and the present attire line brand, which contains a scope reticle, as a part of my branding. Whereas a nickname is barely a nickname and ‘AR-15’ was merely a illustration of my initials mixed with my jersey quantity, you will need to me that my identify and model are now not related to the assault rifle that has been utilized in mass shootings, which I don't condone in any approach or type,” he wrote.

“My representatives and I are presently engaged on rebranding, which incorporates the creation of a brand new brand and transitioning to easily utilizing ‘AR’ and my identify, Anthony Richardson.”

Joe Biden known as for a ban on assault rifles earlier this month within the wake of a number of mass shootings, together with the killing of kids at a college in Uvalde, Texas.

“We live in a rustic awash in weapons of battle,” the US president mentioned. “Weapons which are designed to hunt are usually not getting used [in massacres], weapons they're buying are designed as weapons of battle, to take out an enemy. What's the rationale for these weapons outdoors battle zones?”

Florida are one of the in style faculty soccer groups within the US, and Richardson is predicted to compete with Jack Miller for the position of beginning quarterback for the approaching season.


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post