How I Made It: ‘I’ve married my passions for music and web design to build a career’

Ross Barber-Smith
(Image: /Metro.co.uk)

Welcome again to How I Made It, Metro.co.uk’s weekly profession journey sequence.

This week we’re taking a look at internet design with Ross Barber-Smith, a freelancer primarily based in Glasgow who now focuses solely on constructing web sites for musicians.

A music fan himself, he needed to construct a profession in that business however wasn’t positive the best way to do it from ‘behind the scenes’ – earlier than realising he might use his software program abilities to marry two passions collectively.

Aged 35 now, he began constructing web sites for enjoyable from 12, not figuring out he’d later make a residing out of that ability.

Though, on the age of 16 he was informed by a trainer to ‘cease dreaming’ after he admitted his ambition to be working someplace in music.

‘It hit me fairly laborious, as I used to be already a bit shy and not sure of how I used to be going to make it occur,’ he inform Metro.co.uk.

‘Initially, it did make me query whether or not the music business was out of my attain – whether or not I could be adequate, whether or not I'd have what it takes. 

‘Nevertheless, I believe I did take these feedback as gas to try to show that trainer (and different naysayers) improper.’

His profession goes to indicate you possibly can work in a artistic subject with out being centre stage.

Right here’s how he did simply that.

I obtained into internet design nearly by chance. A pal of mine and I had been each actually right into a recreation known as Petz again within the late 90s, and there was a fairly lively neighborhood of fan websites in that house.

My pal had constructed a web site about that, and I needed to see if I might do the identical.

It nearly grew to become a little bit of a pleasant competitors when it got here to redesigning the location to see if we might out-design one another!

As I grew out of the Petz house, I made a decision to start out a private weblog (this was earlier than the times of Myspace or Fb) and was all the time redesigning the location, making an attempt to study new abilities all through the method.

I’m truly fully self-taught.

After I was 12, I used to be studying as many articles and books about HTML and CSS as I might, and instructing myself to make use of Photoshop by means of on-line guides.

After I determined this was what I needed to do as a profession, lots had modified, so I used to be studying extra up-to-date guides, took on an internship at an area design company, began doing a bit of labor without cost so I might discover ways to work with purchasers.

Finally I began a job at a digital advertising company – this taught me lots about working to deadlines.

Ross Barber-Smith
Ross was informed he’d battle to make it (Image: )

It positively can have an effect on issues, particularly in the event you’re working with newer impartial artists who're within the very early phases of their profession.

There’s some huge cash within the music enterprise, however it may typically really feel out of attain.

Nevertheless it’s extra about hanging the stability between being creatively happy and incomes sufficient that you simply’re comfy.

Some initiatives present extra of 1 than the opposite, however I’ve realized to be glad about each alternative that comes alongside – and typically the smaller initiatives can result in a lot greater ones, even when it’s months or years within the making.

I fell in love with music sooner or later within the mid 90s, and simply had a intestine feeling that it was the business I needed to work in.

Whereas I believe everybody anticipated me to work with computer systems, music was my actual love, so in all probability to everybody’s shock, I went on to review music efficiency at college.

Nevertheless, in my ultimate yr I had a little bit of a confidence disaster when it got here to the efficiency aspect of issues, and needed to determine how else I could possibly be concerned in music in a extra behind-the-scenes type of function.

Since I’d been doing internet design on and off since I used to be 12, it appeared like a logical choice to mix my love of music with these abilities I’d been growing.

The primary time I had a go at this, all of it clicked into place: I might design web sites for musicians, which might tick all the containers for me.


A mean day within the working lifetime of Ross Barber-Smith

10am: The day begins, as Ross will begin together with his emails.

11am: He’ll begin engaged on updates from purchasers or loading in content material from lively initiatives.

Ross Barber-Smith
Exhausting at work (Image: )

1pm: He’ll have calls with new and present purchasers about potential initiatives and this can go on for many of the day.

5pm: He prepares for the subsequent day so a number of the admin is completed.

There are positively days and weeks the place I really feel like residing someplace like London, New York, LA, or Nashville could be extremely useful – however I believe the world is a lot extra linked now than we ever have been, so location in all probability issues lower than it did 5 or 10 years in the past.

The largest problem might be getting in entrance of individuals (particularly at bigger labels or administration businesses), as they're inundated with emails each day, so getting their consideration is more durable than it is perhaps in the event you had been to fulfill them in particular person.

Because of Twitter although, I even have purchasers within the US.

I take advantage of social media lots to fulfill new purchasers, however in the end I believe the referrals and phrase of mouth is by far one of the simplest ways of assembly new purchasers.

I get to assist artists signify themselves visually on-line, and create web sites that look nearly as good as they sound.

I additionally get the chance to talk with and collaborate with artists on varied ranges, some I’m already a fan of, and others I develop to change into a fan of as I get to know them higher.

I’d say this in all probability goes for many freelancers and self employed individuals, however typically the admin aspect of issues may be draining.

Chasing invoices and sending observe up emails are usually not enjoyable.


How I Made It

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post