Scott Mills confirms BBC Radio 1 exit after 24 years, replaces Steve Wright on Radio 2: ‘Onwards and upwards’

Scott Mills
Scott Mills has introduced his exit from BBC Radio 1 (Image: Rex)

Scott Mills is leaving BBC Radio 1 after 24 years on the community, making the transfer to Radio 2.

The 49-year-old, who presently helms the drivetime slot and the Official Charts Present with Chris Stark, has been a part of the station since 1998.

He beforehand appeared on the BBC Radio 1 Breakfast Present till 2004, earlier than heading to the weekend afternoon slot for six months.

It has now been confirmed that he can be changing Steve Wright’s afternoon present, Steve Wright In The Afternoon, as a part of an enormous shake-up on the broadcaster.

‘Time truly does fly while you’re having enjoyable, and that’s definitely been the case over the previous 24 years at my beloved Radio 1,’ Scott mentioned of the transfer.

‘The station I pretended to be on in my bed room from the age of six. The station I informed my mum I wished to work at, however by no means in 1,000,000 years thought I might.

BBC Radio 1's Teen Awards - London
Chris Stark may even be leaving the present alongside his pal and co-star (Image: Getty)

‘There are too many individuals to thank from my Radio 1 journey. So to the immensely gifted folks I’ve labored with alongside the way in which, to our unbelievable listeners which have made us a part of their on a regular basis lives for thus lengthy and naturally to Chris – not simply my co-host, however considered one of my finest pals on the earth, which after all he can be perpetually. Thanks.

‘I actually can't imagine I’m going to be calling Radio 2 my new residence! I’m past excited to be becoming a member of the workforce and dealing alongside my radio idols and pals on the legendary Wogan Home.

‘I wish to want all the most effective to Steve, who is among the best broadcasters on the earth and somebody whom I look as much as a lot.’

Scott and Chris, who can also be departing the present, roped Lewis Capaldi in to make their announcement.

The information comes as Steve, 67, confirmed that he can be stepping down on Friday, sharing the information dwell on air.

‘Let me simply break off for a second to make an announcement. I’ll strive to not change into emotional or self-indulgent, that is going to be a bit of bit tough,’ he informed listeners.

‘On the finish of September, I’ll be taking a break from daytime radio. In different phrases, stepping down from this programme.

‘Initially of this yr, my pal and boss Helen Thomas, head of Radio 2, mentioned she wished to do one thing completely different within the afternoons.

Steve Wright BBC Radio 2
Steve Wright is leaving BBC Radio 2, confirming his exit dwell on air

‘I’ve been doing this programme for twenty-four years at Radio 2, and so how can I presumably complain? 

‘The assist and inventive freedom as I’m given is unbelievable at Radio 2, and actually I can’t maintain the slot perpetually. So let’s give any person else in the past.’

Lifting the lid on his upcoming tasks, Steve continued: ‘The nice information is onwards and upwards. 

‘I’m staying on the BBC and Radio 2 to do some very thrilling model new digital tasks and creating new podcasts, a few of which truly will characteristic parts of this programme Steve Wright within the Afternoon.

Steve Wright BBC Radio 2
Steve has been a staple of BBC Radio 2 for 23 years (Credit: BBC)

‘Anyway, all will change into clear within the subsequent few months, as a result of we’re staying on this programme till the autumn.’

‘As well as, I’ll nonetheless be presenting Love Songs each Sunday on Radio 2, and I’ll be making seasonal particular programmes additionally on Radio 2 and BBC Sounds and Critical Jokin’ no G can be heard on BBC sounds and Radio 2,’ he added.

‘So loads for me to do and I’m a cheerful bunny, however I do know when time comes within the autumn to say goodbye to this present and miss you, however belief me, you’ll be in good arms.

‘I’m going to be working at Radio 2, barely fewer days every week and meaning I can accomplish that many different new tasks as properly, and maybe in some unspecified time in the future, have some lunch.’

The veteran broadcaster has introduced Steve Wright In The Afternoon on Radio 2 since 1999, and has change into a staple of the radio schedule.

In addition to this, he has helmed Steve Wright’s Sunday Love Songs on the community.

Steve will proceed to current the daytime present till September, 2022.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post