Thrifty mum makes own butter to beat the rising price of Lurpak – which currently costs £7.20 a tub

homemade butter
It’s straightforward to do (Image: Hayley Louise Minns / SWNS)

Lurpak hit the headlines after a bath of their butter was seen on the shelf for £7.20.

With the rising price of residing, spending this a lot on a staple simply isn’t an possibility for a lot of households throughout Britain.

So, one thrifty mum has began to make her personal butter with minimal effort for simply £2 in a bid to beat the rising prices.

Hayley Louise Minns, 39, wasn’t happy when the unfold reached a report excessive – prompting some supermarkets to guard it with safety tags.

The mum-of-four made her personal utilizing two 300ml pots of cream she already had within the fridge, costing £1.05 every.

She even had some spare to make buttermilk pancakes.

homemade butter
Tah-dah (Image: Hayley Louise Minns / SWNS)

Hayley Louise Minns and Paul
Hayley and her husband Paul (Image: Hayley Louise Minns / SWNS)

Half-time nurse Hayley, from Hull stated: ‘I used to be cleansing my fridge and seen I had virtually two full pots of cream in there.

‘I knew I wouldn’t use them – my husband forgets what he has purchased typically and will get extra – and I didn’t need it to go to waste.

‘I stored seeing all these memes on Fb in regards to the value of Lurpak, so thought I’d see if I might make it into butter as I do know I’d use that.

‘I bear in mind a short time in the past, I did the identical with ice cream as I had an excessive amount of cream and about eight bananas overripe that the children wouldn’t eat so I turned it into banana ice cream and googled the way to make caramel sauce.’

Homemade ice-cream
Hayley’s selfmade ice-cream (Image: Hayley Louise Minns / SWNS)

Prior to now she switched to the Aldi model of Lurpak to economize, however now she prefers to make it from scratch to be much more answerable for the price.

She added: ‘The butter turned out pretty! I gave some to my neighbour and made her a buttermilk pancake – I at all times prepare dinner for her as she’s aged and on her personal.

‘She put the butter on high of the pancake and stated it was scrumptious.

‘I’ll undoubtedly make it once more, however use a muslin material this time to assist squeeze the surplus buttermilk out.’


Tips on how to make butter

  • Put double cream in a relaxing electrical mixer and whisk till it separates into butterfat and milk.
  • Pour this into muslin material over a colander.
  • Let the buttermilk drain, then squeeze the muslin to get all the surplus. It must be eliminated to stop it from turning the flavour of the butter bitter.
  • Unfold the butter onto baking paper.
  • Place it into the fridge till it’s agency.

homemade butter split into milk and fat
Separate the fats and milk (Image: Hayley Louise Minns / SWNS)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post