We met at school before going on our first date 58 years later – we’re now married

I’m 75 now, and my husband, Andrew, is 74.

We have been in the identical class at schoolbut I hardly bear in mind him in any respect – I feel he used to smoke behind the bike sheds and I used to be very anti-smoking!

We each attended a college in northern Rhodesia, now Zambia, and Andrew didn’t say a lot in school. He’s since instructed me that he was fearful of me as I used to be a prefect.

I needed to be a journalist and educated in what's now Zimbabwe. I labored in South Africa on numerous newspapers, then got here to the UK in 1976. I married twice – divorced my first husband and the second died from most cancers, which he had once we married. I by no means had youngsters.

I at all times saved in contact with my finest buddy at college and we at all times remembered our college days fondly.

It wasn’t till 58 years later, in our 70s, that Andrew and I began emailing once we have been planning a reunion to recollect our college days. 

Bev and Andrew at school
Bev, second from left within the entrance row; Andrew, fourth from proper within the second row (Image: Provided)

One in every of my classmates from a reunion we had in South Africa in 2012 had been put in contact with Andrew and one other old fashioned buddy by then, and he instructed them in regards to the subsequent one being organised within the UK. 

Once we acquired again in contact, I requested Andrew to ship me an image and I despatched him certainly one of me. I didn’t suppose both of us would have recognised the opposite. I had no thought how tall he was. He was 6ft 2in and a really good trying man – a far cry from the geeky schoolboy I as soon as knew. 

We emailed for about seven or eight months and it step by step grew to become increasingly private. It began off with the same old: what have you ever been doing for the final 58 years? 

Our lives are so related – like me, Andrew was an solely youngster. He instructed me he was additionally married twice, divorced after which widowed. He had moved to South Africa to complete education and go to school. He’d been a civil engineer working in native authorities. I used to be actually trying ahead to seeing him once more in spite of everything these years.  

Bev and her husband, Andrew, on their wedding day
I by no means thought I’d remarry (Image: Laura Smith)

Initially it was simply all catching up and planning for the reunion. He mentioned he’d at all times fancied residing within the UK and would mix the reunion to do a recce. It was simply good chatting to somebody who’d shared the identical background and was so smitten by all the things. 

Earlier than we met up for the reunion, Andrew and I chatted on the telephone. He needed to go to Aberdeen when he arrived and I've buddies in Dundee so I urged we must always get the practice up collectively. 

One of many issues I liked in his emails was that, if he wrote to me later at evening, he would log out with ‘sleep gently’. This was after a number of months of being in contact.

That’s once I began to think about him in a extra romantic gentle. He simply appeared so smitten by coming over and assembly up. 

One in every of my college buddies, who I used to be organising the reunion with mentioned I would take one take a look at Andrew and need to run a mile – however we already had all these plans in place to go to Scotland collectively after which the reunion. 

In March 2019, Andrew travelled to London from his house in South Africa and was staying in a ghastly lodge so he rang and requested if he may come a bit sooner than anticipated to stick with me earlier than the reunion. I used to be so enthusiastic about seeing him. 

When he arrived on the station, he put his suitcase down and threw his arms round me. My first impressions have been how beautiful he was, how heat and pure. I felt as if I’d identified him for years. 

Bev and her husband, Andrew, at Buckingham Palace
We took a day journey to London – maybe you possibly can name that our first date (Image: Bev Creagh)

The day after he got here to remain, Andrew and I took a day journey to London to see Buckingham Palace and the sights – so maybe you possibly can name that our first date. 

It was essentially the most pure factor on this planet. It was as if we’d at all times been collectively. 

Our faculty reunion was in Rugby and there have been 10 of us – 4 males and two ladies, who had all been at college collectively in northern Rhodesia, and their companions.  

It was simply magical. There have been two folks there that I hadn’t seen since our college days and all of us acquired on so nicely.  

Andrew and I attended as a pair – and I’d warned everybody beforehand. They have been all thrilled. We held palms and he made me snort. 

Within the two weeks we had collectively earlier than he went again to South Africa, we went to Scotland and stayed with buddies of mine in Dundee as a pair. 

We talked about perhaps promoting my home and shopping for one thing collectively when he got here again. And it was simply fantastic having him right here, as if we’d at all times lived collectively. 

Earlier than too lengthy, Andrew headed again to South Africa. It was completely terrible saying goodbye. I puzzled if perhaps it was all a dream and he’d get again to South Africa and say it had all been a mistake.

We continued to WhatsApp a number of instances a day and infrequently talked on the telephone. His daughter Hannah had her twenty first birthday right here once they got here again to see if she’d prefer to go to school right here.

I feel being aside made us each realise much more strongly how a lot we needed to be collectively. 

Then, I quickly went to South Africa and spent two months with them – returning as soon as once more for Christmas. All his buddies have been fantastic to me and instructed him he’d be mad to let me go – very flattering!

Bev and her husband in Scotland
We had plans in place to go to Scotland collectively after which the reunion (Image: Bev Creagh)

Andrew moved in with me in Hitchin in January 2020, then the primary UK lockdown occurred simply weeks later. It wasn’t the honeymoon interval that we have been anticipating, but it surely was completely fabulous and we acquired on so nicely.

He’s very simple to reside with – he does all of the home stuff and can be a superb baker who makes the very best shortbread and fruitcake I’ve ever tasted.

It was 16 years since my second husband had died of most cancers and I’d lived alone ever since. There have been no hiccups and lockdown pressured us far nearer collectively than we'd have been in any other case. 

We’re making up for misplaced time now. He’s loving the English lifestyle, like going to the pub and all of the historical past round us. He says enjoying on the lighting of the jubilee beacon was the spotlight of his piping profession. He finds all of it very small – vehicles, roads, homes. 

He instructed me he’d by no means marry once more as he’d made a hollycock of it twice. I by no means thought I’d remarry – I’d been very proud of my final husband and thought I’d by no means be that fortunate once more.

So it was a whole shock when he went down on one knee at house and requested me to be his spouse. 

Bev and her husband, Andrew, on their wedding day
I don’t suppose both of us may have imagined how issues would end up (Image: Laura Smith)

We acquired married in March, three years to the day because the college reunion that introduced us again collectively.  

We invited everybody from the reunion and a number of other of them got here. The day was completely magical – very emotional for us each. He married in his Ross tartan kilt and he purchased me an identical scarf which I wore with my gown.

Everybody knew our story and have been simply so delighted to have the ability to rejoice such a fairytale ending. 

Our company donated £365 for landmine clearance charity HALO Belief’s work in Ukraine as an alternative of shopping for us presents. We didn’t need presents and we knew Kris, the supervisor of the pub the place we had our reception, had already donated his Christmas bonus to the HALO Belief. 

I’ve performed tons for charity prior to now – primarily Most cancers Analysis UK. Ukraine was – and is – on everybody’s thoughts. Seeing their struggling each day on the tv is totally heartbreaking and I feel everybody within the UK desires to assist in a roundabout way.

We predict what Putin has performed and continues to do is appalling. And we've monumental respect for the resilience, dignity and braveness of the Ukrainian folks. 

Ukraine residents have needed to flee their houses and depart their family members – it’s onerous to think about what that have to be like. Like Andrew and me, they deserve love, too.  

I don’t suppose both of us may have imagined how issues would end up all these years in the past at college.

The buddy who was apprehensive about how it might all end up spoke at our marriage ceremony and mentioned: ‘It’s like a Mills and Boon love story: you couldn’t make it up.’

As instructed to Catherine Lofthouse


So, How Did It Go?

So, How Did It Go? is a weekly Metro.co.uk collection that may make you cringe with second-hand embarrassment or ooze with jealousy as folks share their worst and finest date tales.

Need to spill the beans about your individual awkward encounter or love story? Contact jess.austin@metro.co.uk


Rush Hour Crush - love (nicely, lust) is throughout us

Go to Metro's Rush Hour Crush on-line each weekday at 4:30pm.

Inform us about your Rush Hour Crush by submitting them right here, and you possibly can see your message printed on the positioning.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post