If you’ve turned on a TV any time prior to now 20 years, odds are you’ve seen Peter Helliar. The comic reduce his tooth on Rove within the noughties and is now one of many hosts of Community Ten’s The Undertaking, a chair he’s sat in for the previous eight years. However for his newest enterprise Helliar is buying and selling the small display screen for the sound studio. He not too long ago started internet hosting Household Feud: The Podcast, an audio model of the gameshow of the identical identify. On each episode, two distinguished Australians go head-to-head, with names comparable to Waleed Aly, Tony Armstrong and Osher Günsberg all battling it out for glory.
Essential to Helliar’s many roles are the notebooks wherein he writes his concepts. The truth is, notebooks of all types are cherished gadgets to the media persona – he’s held on to the books he “self-published” as a child and nonetheless aches for a pocket book he as soon as misplaced abroad. Right here, he tells us why these journals grow to be extra precious the extra you utilize them.
What I’d save from my home in a hearth
I'd save the books I wrote once I was in major college. I began my very personal publishing firm referred to as Higher Books. They had been stapled pages with badly drawn footage full with grammatical errors and large narrative potholes. I really feel a reference to my school-age self via these books, which my mum saved in our storage all these years. All my influences are in there: Star Wars, Again to The Future, Indiana Jones, associates and sport – one story has me successful the 1986 Davis Cup by serving a hand grenade to Stefan Edberg.

These books weren't solely my gateway to writing but additionally performing, as I'd learn them to the category and feed off their laughter. There's additionally a weirdly grim guide referred to as Buried Alive, which solely as an grownup I’ve come to grasp was a response to shedding my cousin, Matthew, to leukaemia.
My most helpful object
My most helpful gadgets are pens and notebooks. Sure, I exploit my laptop computer and can typically depend on my notes app to jot concepts down, however I've at all times beloved the limitless potentialities that a clean web page presents. I genuinely discover a piece of white paper thrilling. I be certain that I write with a pen very often as my mind appears to work a bit in another way once I do.
Every time I start engaged on a brand new standup present, I at all times purchase a brand new distinctive pocket book and I carry that round with me wherever I am going, which is harmful (see beneath). My spouse, Brij, is at all times on me for the quantity of notebooks I've and my refusal to throw any of them out. I’m undecided if I’m playing around for not tossing a few of them, however there have been sufficient instances once I look into an outdated pocket book and rediscover a seed of an concept that I can now develop into one thing extra substantial. That’s my excuse anyway and I’m sticking with it.
The merchandise I most remorse shedding
I travelled abroad on my own once I was 18. I frolicked in Scandinavia, the UK and (briefly) Germany for Oktoberfest. After I was within the UK, I made a decision that I'd attempt standup. I purchased a pocket book and commenced writing concepts for routines and jokes. Notebooks are humorous in that the extra you write in them, the extra precious they grow to be to you. I ended up coming house sooner than I believed I'd, so I by no means tried standup in London – however I continued to jot down concepts and extra jokes.
A few years later I met up with a mate for lunch and a few drinks. I took my pocket book as a result of I believed if he left me ready I might people-watch and write down my observations. By now you might have most likely guessed what occurred: I left the pocket book behind a taxi. I used to be devastated. That pocket book represented my future. All these superb ideas, genius concepts and killer punchlines.
In fact, I finally obtained over it and commenced a standup profession, which has gone fairly properly. I additionally obtained to the stage the place the gags and routines in there have been most likely amateurish and never as groundbreaking as they had been in my head on the time. With that mentioned, it will be good to flick via and see what my first foray into writing comedy was like.
Post a Comment