Blind Date goes to New York: ‘We hugged twice, which is basically a kiss’

Blind dater Aaron

Aaron on Robbie


What have been you hoping for?

An fascinating date, nice dialog and a scrumptious meal.

First impressions?
My first query was, “Have you ever ever been on a blind date?” To which he responded, “Properly, really I used to be on a latest season of The Bachelor.” I completely fell for it earlier than he began laughing, admitted it was a joke, and I knew then the night time could be simply superb.

What did you discuss?
What didn’t we discuss? We coated every part from household historical past to the airspace management Oprah has, and consuming McDonald’s off the ground.

Any awkward moments?
Once I came upon neither my date nor the waitress had seen Recreation of Thrones.

Good desk manners?
I don’t recall any slurping, spitting or unbuttoning of his pants, so A+.

What did you order?
Turned out he’s a vegan and I'm not. We went to a restaurant of shared plates. I let him select three scrumptious appetisers, I acquired my carnivorous entree and we shared a superb orange sorbet.

Neatest thing about Robbie?
He doesn’t take himself too severely. That, along with his openness, makes for the form of individual anybody may take pleasure in.

Would you introduce him to your pals?
I’m positive I'll. He would match proper in with my humorous and eclectic bunch.

Describe Robbie in three phrases
Current, inquisitive, fulfilling.

What do you suppose he manufactured from you?
I hope I made him chortle, and suppose. I’d prefer to have come off as a mature, spontaneous and genuine particular person.

Did you go on someplace?
Our date ended on the road in entrance of the restaurant. After a four-hour dinner it was late – him with extra plans and myself with a hike again uptown.

And … did you kiss?
We hugged. I don’t suppose we made a romantic connection, so no kiss.

If you happen to may change one factor concerning the night, what would it not be?
I'd’ve worn extra snug footwear. It was a surprising cream leather-based ankle boot, however sooner or later throughout the date, I believed I misplaced a toe.

Marks out of 10?
9. Romance apart, I don’t suppose it may’ve gone higher.

Would you meet once more?
Little question about it!

Blind daters Robbie (left) and Aaron in a selfie
Robbie and Aaron on their date

Blind dater Robbie

Robbie on Aaron


What have been you hoping for?

Good chat with some form cutie who likes to chortle. Wasn’t disillusioned.

First impressions?
As quickly as I entered the restaurant, the host gave me this realizing look and stated: “Oh my God, he’s cute.” I sat down, already just a little intimidated, however he put me comfortable straight away. I stumbled via some form of, “Wow, so, what will we even do right here?” and he threw again one thing like, “Oh, is that this your first time speaking?” I cherished that: he knew the best way to poke enjoyable with out making me really feel like a dope.

What did you discuss?
4 hours is a very long time, you realize? The standard suspects: how rising up solely youngsters has empowered and/or destroyed us. What it’s prefer to date within the NYC homosexual scene (“difficult”). His many adventures performing and singing on stage/display. Whether or not the bread appetiser second was particular only for us as a result of we have been on some enchanted date, or was in reality given to each visitor (everybody acquired it – disappointing).

Any awkward moments?
We performed the “How previous do you suppose I'm?” recreation, and he was fairly satisfied we’d been in highschool across the similar time. I ended up being three years older than the max of the vary he guessed, which is definitely a praise I believe, but in addition made me wish to attain for my walker.

Good desk manners?
I want that have been one thing I considered in any respect. He used his palms to seize utensils and eat the meals in a reasonably run-of-the-mill manner, which was good.

What did you order?
I’ve been vegan for lengthy sufficient that my style buds have principally died off. You simply be taught to order the one choice on the menu that works. However Aaron fortunately took the reins, and a lot of the plates have been shared, so he took one for the crew at a Michelin-starred restaurant to eat principally greens and garnish with me. That was actually candy.

Neatest thing about Aaron?
He’s acquired this manner of telling these over-the-top, charming tales with out being performative, however he may convey it again all the way down to make the opposite individual really feel seen and heard. Earnest second: there could be occasions and areas throughout the queer group the place we collectively pattern in direction of positions of ruthless judgment somewhat than acceptance. Aaron’s vitality is simply pure gentle. It’s clear he’s acquired some severely good vibes occurring.

Would you introduce him to your pals?
I'd! I hope to. If he provides me a 2, he can at the very least hang around with them, even when I’m not there.

Describe Aaron in three phrases
Current, vibrant, fabulous.

What do you suppose he manufactured from you?
“How did this charming, hilarious, beautiful, zero-red-flag-carrying homosexual make it this far with out a boyfriend?”

Did you go on someplace?
No, however did I point out we have been on the restaurant for 4 hours?

And … did you kiss?
My oma reads this column! I’m clutching my pearls. We didn’t kiss. Does that imply it’s over? We hugged twice, which is principally a kiss.

If you happen to may change one factor concerning the night, what would it not be?
Due to his line of labor, it’s clear he’s an unimaginable singer. It may have been unsettling for him to sing at our desk. Nonetheless, it will have been cool. I really feel like our server would have been down with it.

Marks out of 10?
9.

Would you meet once more?
I'd. In actual fact, I’ve heard he hosts fairly epic dinner events and hope to attain an invitation.

Aaron and Robbie ate at Crown Shy, New York. Fancy a blind date? E-mail blind.date@theguardian.com

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post