Blind date: ‘The photographer thought I was punching above my weight’

Rudi on Kana

Rudi

What have been you hoping for?
Somebody I had issues in frequent with, who was humorous and a superb conversationalist.

First impressions?
Superb – I’d been tipped off by the photographer that my date was excellent trying. (I feel he thought I used to be punching above my weight – he was in all probability proper.) Kana was up for fun and really straightforward to speak to.

What did you speak about?
Jobs. Music. Relationship experiences. We additionally determined in about 5 minutes how we'd reform training coverage.

Any awkward moments?
I did begin a little bit of a bizarre dialog concerning the restaurant’s lighting fixtures – unsure the place I used to be going with that.

Good desk manners?
Glorious, we shared our starters and mains so I used to be happy when she left me the higher half of the asparagus.

Neatest thing about Kana?
She was actually engaged within the dialog – and has glorious style in music.

Would you introduce Kana to your mates?
Certainly – I feel she would cotton on to the in-jokes fairly shortly.

Describe Kana in three phrases.
Insightful, humorous and charming.

What do you suppose Kana made from you?
Hopefully that I used to be a bit humorous and didn’t speak an excessive amount of!

Did you go on someplace?
A drink in a close-by pub, to catch the final of the night solar.

And … did you kiss?
We didn’t.

Should you might change one factor concerning the night what would it not be?
The second of panic after I thought I’d gone to the incorrect restaurant.

Marks out of 10?
A robust 8; a terrific expertise general.

Would you meet once more?
I'd positively wish to. We did speak about it, so hopefully it’s on the playing cards.

Q&A

Need to be in Blind date?

Present

Blind date is Saturday’s courting column: each week, two
strangers are paired up for dinner and drinks, after which spill the beans
to us, answering a set of questions. This runs, with a photograph we
take of every dater earlier than the date, in Saturday journal (within the
UK) and on-line at theguardian.com each Saturday. It’s been working since 2009 – you'll be able to learn all about how we put it collectively right here.

What questions will I be requested?
We
ask about age, location, occupation, hobbies, pursuits and the kind of
particular person you need to meet. If you don't suppose these questions
cowl the whole lot you want to know, inform us what’s in your thoughts.

Can I select who I match with?
No,
it’s a blind date! However we do ask you a bit about your pursuits,
preferences, and many others – the extra you inform us, the higher the match is probably going
to be.

Can I choose the photograph?
No, however don't be concerned: we'll select the nicest ones.

What private particulars will seem?
Your first identify, job and age.

How ought to I reply?
Actually
however respectfully. Be conscious of the way it will learn to your date, and that
Blind date reaches a big viewers, in print and on-line.

Will I see the opposite particular person’s solutions?
No. We might edit yours and theirs for a spread of causes, together with size, and we might ask you for extra particulars.

Will you discover me The One?
We’ll strive! Marriage! Infants!

Can I do it in my residence city?
Provided that it’s within the UK. Lots of our candidates stay in London, however we'd love to listen to from folks residing elsewhere.

The way to apply
Electronic mail blind.date@theguardian.com

Was this useful?
Thanks to your suggestions.

Kana and Rudi on their date.
Kana and Rudi on their date

Kana on Rudi

Kana

What have been you hoping for?
A enjoyable night with somebody who I’d in any other case by no means cross paths with – and to relish the absurdity of all of it.

First impressions?
Well mannered and talkative. Possibly a bit nervous, however who wouldn’t be?

What did you speak about?
Albums. South London hotspots. Our experiences of being an solely youngster.

Any awkward moments?
Hailing the waiter to deliver over our non-existent invoice.

Good desk manners?
He dealt with the pita and dip state of affairs significantly better than I did.

Neatest thing about Rudi?
Saved up with my questions and had opinions on most issues. Observant of issues just like the waiter’s outfit.

Would you introduce Rudi to your mates?
If we ran into one another, positive.

Describe Rudi in three phrases.
Proud south Londoner.

What do you suppose Rudi made from you?
Inquisitive? Good at choosing a pub?

Did you go on someplace?
To a beautiful pub backyard with the romantic hum of railway tracks.

And … did you kiss?
No.

Should you might change one factor concerning the night what would it not be?
A bit extra buzz to the restaurant, however we agreed it was good to not spend the night time shouting at one another.

Marks out of 10?
A stable 6.

Would you meet once more?
I think about I’ll stumble upon him at a gig; we share the identical style in music so can be open to discovering different bands.

Rudi and Kana ate at Penny Squares, London EC3. Fancy a blind date? Electronic mail blind.date@theguardian.com

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post