How I Made It: Reuben Dangoor on working a day job and illustrating at night

Reuben Dangoor
‘An previous household good friend purchased a few of my drawings for £20 or one thing and that blew my thoughts’ (Image: Metro.co.uk/Reuben Dangoor)

Welcome again to How I Made It, Metro.co.uk’s weekly profession journey sequence.

This week we’re talking with Reuben Dangoor, an nameless artist (therefore the smiley confronted portrait he drew for us), identified for creating reaction-based artwork that feedback on British politics, London life and members within the public eye.

Lately he collaborated with NBA for his or her NBA Creator Sequence to rejoice the league’s landmark seventy fifth Anniversary Season, drawing gamers scoring hoops in his memorable type.

The North London-based illustrator works arduous – usually saving his drawing for the evenings after he finishes his day job, so he’s often working into the evening.

He says he’s all the time had a day job and doesn’t plan on ever stopping that, though he’s now a nicely established identify within the artwork world.

Reuben’s work has captured the hearts (and likes, on Instagram) of many – right here’s how he made it.

It was one thing I’d achieved since I used to be actually younger.

I believe my of us nonetheless have bins and bins of illustrations stashed from after I was 5 or 6. 

I used to learn rather a lot of comedian books after I was a child.

The Beano was considered one of my favourites as every strip was drawn by a unique artist.

I’d sit there and replica all of the characters out of it. That’s form of after I realised you possibly can do it for a job.

Then an previous household good friend purchased a few of my drawings for £20 or one thing and that blew my thoughts. 

However over time I’ve had individuals say artwork is an unrealistic space to make a residing in, however when you’re into one thing you’re into one thing and also you simply need to attempt to keep it up. 

reuben dangoor NBA Creator Series
Certainly one of his NBA Creator Sequence drawings (Image: Reuben Dangoor)

I’ve had a number of jobs – offered numerous Christmas timber at a backyard centre.

Ultimately my artwork obtained me into the place the place I may apply for full time work however within the discipline I used to be occupied with.

So while I wasn’t doing my very own illustration it was nonetheless flexing the identical muscle tissue and retaining me sharp creatively.

I labored within the online game trade for some time as an artist, and labored in promoting and broadcast. 

I painted a sequence of Grime stars as regal the Aristocracy again in 2015 known as Legends of the Scene.

The artists, Stormzy, Skepta and so on, who had been featured in them began sharing them on their socials and it blew up from there. 

They had been exhibited at Tate Britain for my first ever exhibition and many individuals from all ages got here to see them which was superb to see. 

I’ve all the time labored a day job. Perpetually.

And within the early days it meant I didn’t have that stress of attempting to generate profits from my inventive work and I used to be free to make what I wished.

I simply needed to do it outdoors of labor. Plenty of late nights and weekends.

I nonetheless work a great deal of evenings, to be sincere.

Hundreds and a great deal of artists impressed me.

I believe a French artist known as Jean Julian actually impressed me along with his reactive paintings. One thing would occur on this planet and he would paint a response to it in a matter of hours.

I beloved that and have achieved fairly a little bit of it since.

The late nice Virgil Abloh is one other who actually impressed me.

For me he was in a position to create one thing no matter his medium he would get one thing unique out of it.

It could possibly be a T-shirt, an album cowl, a drink bottle, or a luxurious automotive.  

Something I really feel passionately about.

It could possibly be listening to some music from an artist I like, seeing a movie and questioning how I might strategy the poster, the results of a soccer recreation… all of them hit me in numerous methods and drawing is the best way I really feel most in a position to specific it. 


A mean day within the working lifetime of Reuben Dangoor

9am: The work day – in Reuben’s day job – begins.

5pm: His arts-related job finishes, and that is his predominant supply of labor.

reuben dangoor illustration
A self-portrait (Image: Reuben Dangoor)

7pm: Time for private initiatives, with paintings being the main focus and any new initiatives he’s taken on.

11pm: The day will wrap up, with ardour initiatives taking on most of his night.

I studied graphic design at UAL. As a child I simply used to attempt to copy kinds from peoples work I beloved, hundreds 2000 AD paintings, Mobius, some bits would stick and a few bits would fall away. 

Finally, my type is simply an extension of my humour and the way finest to articulate what’s in my head. 

The totally different worlds I get to dip into or the individuals I get to work with – it could possibly be sport, politics, musicians and artists or a model I like. 

Not having sufficient time to do the whole lot I need to. 


How I Made It

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post