Humidity sent your hair into a frizz? Time for drastic action

On a visit to New York, lunch with an expat magnificence trade government started with “so you bought the sweet floss hair too?” She then provided a fist bump of solidarity over the unruly, someway concurrently flat and inflated preparations of frizz on each our heads.

I’m so used to the slightest humidity increasing my hair to a kinky, wispy shambles that I had lengthy since given up on making an attempt to appropriate its behaviour. However the extremity of the New York heatwave – and the truth that I had carelessly omitted the glass-jarred JVN serum (£24) from my suitcase – prompted me to experiment with merchandise promising to tackle the unattainable.

Kérastase is arguably the trade chief in care merchandise for drawback hair, so I began (and will have completed) there. Its wonderful Self-discipline Fluidissime Spray (£29.05, for all hair sorts) works extraordinarily properly, albeit at a value, and when utilized to damp, towel-dried hair and adopted with a blowdryer (hardly fascinating in a sizzling local weather). Used like this, it retains hair easy and frizz-free, retaining affordable quantity, and its pretty scent retains one feeling contemporary even after strolling by a dumpster of steaming meals waste.

On dry hair, nonetheless, it performs much less properly, which is the place I turned to Residing Proof No Frizz Immediate Defrizzer. That is formulated for dry, on-the-go utility, and whereas it did a very good job in immediately smoothing frizz and tangibly softening my hair (which felt instantly silky), I’d say it labored slightly too properly, flattening my roots and leaving a form of glaze that would simply move for grime.

That mentioned, I subsequently gave my can to a good friend with thick, curly coiled hair, and he or she has declared it a purse important for unexpectedly humid or drizzly days, and so its efficacy and worth for cash (it’s dear at £25) may be very a lot hair-type dependent.

My most profitable emergency measure was after I ducked into Chelsea Market and disbursed a blob of (vegan) R+Co Excessive Dive Cream from a tester tube on the shelf. A five-pence-piece-sized dose immediately defrizzed with out grease and left my humidity-frazzled hair mushy and shiny.

Would I pay £24.50 for a full tube? If I lived in year-round humidity, then I most likely would. However within the British local weather, I’m content material to write down off the odd day and scrape it again in a scrunchie till it’s as soon as once more secure to hold free.

Be part of Sali Hughes as she discusses her new e-book, Every thing is Washable, with good friend and fellow author Caitlin Moran on 14 September

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post