‘My jewels are my superhero suit’: Slick Rick on hip-hop bling

I have been telling tales by means of my apparel and adornments for so long as I’ve been telling them with beats and rhymes. Jewels are my factor and every bit in my assortment is hooked up to a enjoyable story and deserves its personal Wikipedia entry.

I used to be born in Mitcham, a neighbourhood in south London with a sizeable Jamaican group, in 1965. Wanting again, I can say that Mitcham, and England extra usually, had an enormous affect on me as a author and a poet. I absorbed the truth that the nation was a monarchy, which might be one of many the reason why, once I began making data, I typically referred to myself as Rick the Ruler or Richard of Nottingham. Britannia additionally had a big impact on me, style-wise. The Kangol hats. The king’s crown and regal cape.

I moved with my Jamaican mom and sister from London to New York in 1976 once I was 11 years outdated. It was on Fordham Street within the Bronx, once I was nonetheless a pupil on the LaGuardia College of Music & Artwork, that I discovered my true model. The shops on Fordham Street have been full to the brim with garments, sneakers and sneakers, and the younger people who swarmed there lit up the strip with their electrical energy and vigour. I'd save each penny simply to get all dressed up: cashmere sweaters, slacks, furry Kangols, vibrant Clark’s Wallabees, Adidas. I even wore thePolo Ralph Lauren fits and button-ups. I used to be into the flyest seems, taking my cues from the drug sellers of the day. That devotion impressed Dana Dane and me to call our first rap group the Kangol Crew. With regards to model, both you will have it otherwise you don’t. It’s easy.

But it surely was jewelry that was essentially the most huge factor of all. Displaying our opulence affirms the traditions and wealth of our tradition. I like the stuff as a result of I really feel it in my DNA. My jewels are my superhero go well with, an extension of my lovely brown pores and skin. It’s a present from ancestors who sat on thrones and reigned with rings and rocks the dimensions of ice cubes. It’s a measure of how visible hip-hop is that we imagine within the energy of jewelry to speak who we actually are, a apply that dates again to the earliest people within the hip-hop recreation. We used to go to a membership referred to as The Rooftop round one hundred and thirty fifth Road in Harlem, the place the blokes wore insane items. I had just a little cash then as a result of I used to be solely beginning out in my profession so I purchased some rings, a couple of watches and bracelets and commenced to construct up my “bauble assortment”.

Then I started charging full steam forward, always upgrading my assortment from Canal Road in New York’s Chinatown, which was the spot for gold again then. It was there that I stumbled upon a retailer displaying an enormous pendant with the Libra star signal within the window. I simply needed to have it, nevertheless it was a bit too costly for me. I visited the shop obsessively for the subsequent 9 months because the piece simply sat there, unsold. However with time, endurance, laborious work and success, I used to be capable of march in there at some point with a pile of money and sail out with the pendant. Now I’m a Capricorn, however that didn’t matter. It was the justice scales that meant one thing particular to me.

After the acquisition of the Libra piece in 1988, my urge for food for jewelry turned insatiable. I acquired a Star of David pendant after being knowledgeable of the that means behind the image by some Black Jews from Brooklyn. Then I started making my enamel gold. On the time, plenty of Caribbeans have been changing their dangerous enamel with gold ones, and it quickly caught on as a standing image with the youthful era. I began with a single aspect gold tooth, however rapidly upgraded and expanded my “grill look” with a platinum-and-diamonds ensemble. Subsequent, I employed Jacob the Jewelerto make me an extravagant diamond eye patch to interchange the extra prosaic patch I’d been carrying my total life. Lately, my assortment contains 4 eye patches, all of them custom-designed by yours really.

With regards to jewelry and hip-hop, there was at all times hazard. You would possibly get robbed. You would possibly get damage. You would possibly even get killed. However we moved ahead anyway. That’s simply how we roll. We stand up at all times. Essentially the most satisfying payoff is when somebody on the road asks me that age-old query: “The place’d you get that from?” My reply is at all times on the prepared: “What, you ain’t know!? I made it myself.”

Run the jewels: Slick Rick’s acquisitions

The oversized Libra justice scale pendant, and diamond rings bought over the years, mostly from jewellers along Canal Street in New York.
Photograph: Clay Patrick McBride

The outsized Libra justice scale pendant and diamond rings purchased over time, largely from jewellers alongside Canal Road in New York.

Rick’s Libra scales piece, plus diamond star and various rings purchased from Canal Street, Manhattan.
Photograph: Clay Patrick McBride

Rick’s Libra scales piece, plus diamond star and varied rings bought from Canal Road, Manhattan.

Famous Eddie’s Gold Teeth, first set up by entrepreneur Eddie Plein in Queens, New York in the 1980s.
Photograph: Bryce Duffy

Well-known Eddie’s Gold Enamel, first arrange by entrepreneur Eddie Plein in Queens, New York within the Eighties.

Rick popularised the thick double rope chain in hip-hop. The crown is a nod to his upbringing in the UK.
Photograph: Janette Beckman

Rick popularised the thick double rope chain in hip-hop. The crown is a nod to his upbringing within the UK.

That is an edited excerpt from Ice Chilly: A Hip-Hop Jewellery Historical past by Vikki Tobak, revealed by Taschen (£80) on 14 September.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post